Solved

I have the old Pipet In Home Display (IHD) smart meter from Secure - can I get an upgrade?

• 6 September 2022
  • 9 replies

my smart meter is very simple it is made by secure the display is very simple and so is the menu there are no buttons or arrows the display is monochrome  andthe information is very limited can I upgrade it

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 6 September 2022, 15:24

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 14/06/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Hi @Lensandbach ,

I’m Blastoise186 and I’m one of the forum regulars who patrols the OVO Forum. :)

I think you’re talking about the Secure Pipit 500 IHD, is that right?

If so, then I’m afraid OVO can’t offer you an upgrade, but I do have two IHDs that I can recommend. One of them is the ivie Bud from https://ivie.co.uk and costs about £50. The other is the Hildebrand Glow IHD from https://shop.glowmarkt.com/products/display-and-cad-combined-for-smart-meter-customers?variant=36560284352664 which costs £70.

If you’d like any advice on which one to pick, feel free to reply to this thread.

Hi Blastoise 186

AT LAST 

you are bang on!! I cannot understand why OVO cannot help  please forward your recommendations please lensandbach

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries. Glad I could help!

I forgot to say this earlier, but I’ll say it now because I believe in transparency. Both Hildebrand and Chameleon Technology know of me and the things I do on this forum, however I don’t get any commission or kickbacks from you making a purchase with either of them.

The links I’ve given you are also ultimately the same ones you’d find on Google as well. The only change I made was to the Hildebrand link, so that it automatically selects the SMETS1 variant on your behalf as I like to make things that bit easier for you. Otherwise, these are just the same as you’d get otherwise.

I am tempted to ask the forum moderators about feeding this back to the teams. But if you’d like to give feedback about your experience with me, go for it! If you email them on forum@ovoenergy.com they’ll see it when they get chance. :)

Hi Blastoise186

I’m a newbie to this forum, but I’ve read with interest your advice on the Secure Pipit  500 IHD. For some time now I’ve been trying to set up a SEG unsuccessfully simply because the Pipit will not give me the info I need. OVO just ignore my emails and the SEG team phone number is never answered. I followed your advice and looked at the Ivie web site, which looks interesting. However as a lay person I’m unsure how to go about replacing my Pipit 500 with the Ivie, and would this then enable me to give an ‘export’ meter reading. Any advice would be appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello @Bdg for any SEG readings you will need to check on your smart meter itself, not the IHD. As long as the meter is giving export readings, that should work. 
Can you see which meter you have (in the meter cupboard)? Post a pic if you can

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If the IHD is a Secure Pipit 500, it’s almost certainly an S1 Secure meter. No other meters are compatible with that IHD if memory serves.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

If the IHD is a Secure Pipit 500, it’s almost certainly an S1 Secure meter. No other meters are compatible with that IHD if memory serves.

Does that version give export readings?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Should do if you press the right button on the meter! 9 usually does it. :)

Thank you so much - There’s no fool like an old fool I didn’t realise I should have been looking at the meter and not the IHD. Sorted.