Solved

I have a SMETS1 Aclara Smart Meter- It's showing usually high figures on my In Home Display?

Show first post

38 replies

Userlevel 7

Hey @Mikeyd,

It does sound very frustrating.

I think Support are best placed to deal with your issue as this sounds very account specific. The best way to contact them is through web messenger. 

How do I do this?

The energy ombudsman will be in touch shortly and I have an appointment to speak to someone on national tv.

This morning I had about £62 of credit on my smart meter, I just got home and it is showing -£0.33! No one has been here all day and when I check daily usage it says only about £2.50 has been used! 

What is going on!?!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @jbreakwell88 ,

I’m afraid I don’t have psychic powers, nor X-Ray Vision. Please post photos of what you’re seeing and tell me whether you’re on OVO Pay Monthly or Boost Pay As You Go.

Thanks!

Hi 

Sorry was a bit stressed last night.

I am actually with SSE but thought I could get some help here as they are part of Ovo now.

Not sure what pictures you want but this is from my smart meter.

The credit was from the government scheme so doesn't show as a payment on my.app.

I am with SSE.  The in-home-display is malfunctioning.  I think it is a problem with people who have SMETS1 meter who are being migrated from SSE to OVO.  Have a look what the balance is showing on the electricity meter.  My electricity balance on my in-home-display is out by a factor of ten.  I have still not received the £67 energy support payment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @mark531 ,

That usage cost is a bug with the IHD. Your actual usage on the meter is unaffected. Part of the problem is that the SSE Energy Tracker is actually a rebadged IHDL SmartView 1, which is a terrible IHD that only got worse with newer versions like the IHDL SmartView 2.

OVO is aware of the issue and a fix is on the way. In the meantime, your online account (if you have one) would be the best way to track your actual usage.

The remaining credit likewise should remain accurate - but you can always check the Smart Meter itself to be sure!

Still showing a minus credit today so had to put on the emergency.

Will try to speak to SSE tomorrow as there is no way over £60 was used yesterday when no one was in.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Mikeyd,

If you click on the hyper link where I say ‘Support’ it’ll take you to a web page with all the contact options, or you can call 0330 303 5063. 

Hey @Mikeyd,

It does sound very frustrating.

I think Support are best placed to deal with your issue as this sounds very account specific. The best way to contact them is through web messenger. 

Hope this helps. 

Thanks for confirming this, @LADYBIRD

As you eluded to, customers who have a SMETS1 Aclara smart meter will see high figures on their In Home Display. This is a glitch and will be corrected in the coming days. The actual smart meter (gas and electric) will be unaffected. 

I am a bit surprised it still hasn’t been fixed. Ive tried rebootingit but the total credit is still wrong.

Userlevel 7

Hey @LADYBIRD,

This is a known issue within the industry, caused by the firmware on some Aclara SMETS1 electric meters. This has been shown to cause customers' IHDs to show incorrectly high usage. 

We are currently testing updates for this and firmware updates should be available within the next few months.  If anything changes we’ll keep you posted here on the Forum!

Not to worry… Despite the smart meter sending incorrect data to the IHD, the meter itself will still be supplying energy and recording usage accurately.

If you have an Aclara meter (your electricity meter serial number has an ‘M’ in it) and are seeing high usage, the fix will be applied automatically to your IHD when the firmware becomes available, you don’t need to do anything on your device.

If your meter is not an Aclara SMETS1 meter and the IHD is showing incorrect rates or usage this may be because the tariff and pricing information on the meters is incorrect. If this is the case please contact Support

Hope this helps.

Today my electric  credit was finally put to what it is supposed to be, so instead of showing £310 it is now £31 but the upshot of that is  when I bought  gas credit it doesn’t show on my smart meter. The meter is showing £3.25 instread of £13.25 and is asking me to put the emergency credit on.  The actual meter is outside but I cannot see anything on that as pressing the a b and c  buttons doesn’t show the actual amount on it.  Looking at that is not practical anyway as it is so low to the floor I have to kneel on the ground. I am a bit fedup of it all now.My son managed to activate the emergency credit on the gas but where my £10 I put on has gone is a mystery. 🙄 I put £10 on the electric and that has shown straight away. Typically there is noone to speak to over the weekend.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It may take a bit more time for the gas to sort itself out. Firmware updates for gas meters always take longer than for electric meters.