F.A.Q.

How to view your smart meter usage data using the Chameleon Integration with Samsung SmartThings app

• 20 October 2021
  • 40 replies
How to view your smart meter usage data using the Chameleon Integration with Samsung SmartThings app

Show first post

40 replies

Great thanks. What do you mean sort of?

So I assume if I want live data then the only way sounds like me getting a secondary meter installed linked directly to my software ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’m afraid so. There’s no way to get live gas usage data from a smart meter because it’d drain the battery too much. You can only get 30 minute snapshots at best.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

If you want to look at alternatives to the OVO api you could look into the Bright api

You will still have the same limitation of 30 min reading for gas as has already been mentioned

https://docs.glowmarkt.com/GlowmarktAPIDataRetrievalDocumentationIndividualUserForBright.pdf

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

I use the glow stick with Mqtt data and node red. Should be easy to integrate to homeseer but I only have experience with Home Assistant. You can only ever get half hour gas data as previously mentioned.

Userlevel 2

Hmmmmm.  I can’t get beyond the screen below. 

Both the “Upload Photos” and “Upload a PDF” buttons don’t do anything when I press them (other than show a button shadow to indicate they’re being pressed.)

Very odd!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That’s a bit strange!

In this case, I think you’ll probably want to go through the manual method. Give 01423 815 911 a try. They’ll either advise you directly or ask you to go via ivie. Doesn’t hurt to try though!

Userlevel 2

That’s a bit strange!

In this case, I think you’ll probably want to go through the manual method. Give 01423 815 911 a try. They’ll either advise you directly or ask you to go via ivie. Doesn’t hurt to try though!

Ta.  I’ve just sent them (Chameleon) an email for now (and posted on the SmartThings community forum too.)  Some of the pages in the sign up process look a tiny bit different to what others have posted on various forums, so maybe they’ve been updated recently.  Alternatively, it could even just be that i’m being a bit quick given the IHD7-CAD-PPMID has only just arrived and been paired today, and in fact it’s currently only showing the gas meter reading anyway.  

Given what I’ve read so far, the integration doesn’t look all that fab as yet, so I’m not really too bothered about getting it working for me (yet), but I thought I’d best pipe up and mention it in case there’s genuinely a bug with the current Chameleon ST integration pages.

Userlevel 2

I have a smart meter but no in-house real-time display device.

Is there an android phone app that does the same job showing real time gas and electricity usage?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Adwatp ,

Yup there’s a few options. I’ve got a couple of guides that may help. :)

It’s worth noting that apps have a hard time showing real-time data without the support of an IHD or CAD device paired to the app. You can’t just use an app by itself!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I use the SmartThings app alongside Loop and others - I like data!

SmartThings seems to have been developed a bit further from the early days and I quite like the average time slot use shown over the last week plus, individual use from other devices on smart plugs. For me, this is a very flexible way of gathering inputs from different devices and also summarising total use without a full on data logging system. 

Chur. Could a Smart Things app show the data from a Gas Smart Meter on the outside wall of may house [ slightly below ground level ] which my IHD cannot?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Chur. Could a Smart Things app show the data from a Gas Smart Meter on the outside wall of may house [ slightly below ground level ] which my IHD cannot?

If the data’s getting through to the central hub, yes. It looks like this 

Does the usage get through to your supplier?

Chur.

No my supplier cannot get usage though the meter

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Chur.

No my supplier cannot get usage though the meter

Then, SmartThings won’t see it either unfortunately 

Chur.

I guessed as much. Thanks for you help and energy put into it.