Solved

Having a 3 phase meter installed- Will it be a smart meter and compatible with our Solar PV for the export readings

• 6 September 2023
  • 10 replies

We are having a 3 phase meter being installed for an electric boiler. 

I wanted to know if the meter is a smart meter and will it be compatible with our solar panels

for the export readings ?

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 6 September 2023, 09:28

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @whippet mad ,

The answer to that is possibly. OVO has started rolling out Three-Phase Smart Meters so if you’re having 3-Phase installed, there’s a chance it’ll be smart.

Either way, it should be compatible with solar. Can’t guarantee about the export readings though.

Thanks for your reply, I think I will have verify this before installation as we have electrician booked to install internal 3 phase fuse board etc so don’t want to waste his time and our money !!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It’s certainly worth double checking things @whippet mad , we have seen one instance of a 3 phase meter not configured for export and therefore it has added the export units to the import units. The user saw a huge increase in usage when the solar was installed and it was only then that they realised. 

Thank you BPLightlog …. have just found out we need a separate export meter fitted along side the 3 phase ,meter more expense !!.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Butting in here: an electric boiler is going to be expensive to run. Why not go for a heat pump??. It’ll be four times more efficient. No need for a 3 phase supply.

Hi juliamc .We know electricity will be more expensive but we are currently using oil and that's going up and up in price. Regarding heat pumps we've already gone into it and as we have an older property insulation is  problem as it has no cavity walls, also we would have to change our radiators which are only 2 years old.

We have solar panels which keep our electricity bills down.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Ah. However, it might be worth getting a heat loss calculation done (you would have to pay for that though) from a Heat Geek. You maybe surprised as insulation is often overstated as being a barrier to heat pumps. Loft insulation is the most important (and cheapest). You’ll still have to counter the heat loss whatever the heating system. Your radiators may be ok too. I agree it would be annoying to have to replace them. Mine are the double panel style and not particularly big (only one is big and that’s in the biggest room). The lower the flow temperature the larger the radiator needs to be, thereby the more efficient the system. Generally those old single panel ones are the type that would be replaced. The BBC program Justin Rowlett did last month about heat pumps was replacing an oil system and they had their single panel rads replaced.

Has anyone had this same issue ??,

I moved into this house 3 years ago, this was the first house I have owned with solar panels installed.

i applied for a smart meter and to be fair an appointment was made very quickly,

the engineer turned up on the desired day and started to disconnect the existing meter when he realised that there was 3 electrical meters, input meter, output meter and a generation meter for the solar panels. He then informed me that he could not fit the required meter to install the smart meter. Still getting literature sent to me relating to smart meter installations. Can anyone tell me if they have had the same issues and is there a way of connecting these meters to allow me to get a smart meter installed ?.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Frazer Burnett ,

Got some photos of the current setup?

Userlevel 7
Badge

It would be easier for someone to make sensible suggestions if you posted clear photos of the meters in situ so we can see how they’re connected.