Solved

Had a smart meter fitted months ago - why am I being asked to submit a reading every month?

Show first post

37 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’m sorry to hear about this, but the OVO Forum is, unfortunately, unable to handle an account specific issue like this one.

Please use the Complaints Process at https://ovoenergy.com/feedback for this one.

Userlevel 7

Hey @jcallaghan23,

Sorry for the issues you’re having.

It’s unusual there is no sticker on your gas meter, usually when a new meter is installed they put a yellow or white sticker on it which advises the removal reading of the old meter.

The engineer is also required to take a photo of the removal reading of the old meter, so I’m assuming OVO are chasing up the job report from the installer. 

If you have any photo’s of the readings on the old meter, perhaps a inventory if you’re renting. Or any previous meter readings (I know you mentioned there was one in September) if you took any more that might be helpful to forward to Support incase a read dispute is needed. 

Hope this helps. 

I had a smart meter fitted so I didn't have to send readings even though my smart meter says its correct 

Userlevel 2

Unfortunately they are hopeless ! Moved to a new supplier in the end, after taking them to Ofgem. OVO just couldn't sort out an easy fix problem. 

I moved from utiliter to ovo ,my meter is a  smart meter fitted by utiliter   I was on a prepayment option by my own choice and had been for over twenty years .

Ovo invited I transfer to a monthly plan ,which I have with reluctance.  

However! Ovo can't read the meter and we have to send meter readings. 

I have asked ovo for a new smart meter and they say no   but won't say why .anyone got any explanation as to why before I go back to utiliter. ??J

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @David marshall could you post some pictures of your meters? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It might be that you can keep the current one and stay with OVO, but we need to identify the meter first.

It dosn,t make sense , this meter was fitted years ago and has never been any trouble  , as for me , I have been a pre-payment customer by  choice as there are no big bills . 

Ovo on the other hand seem to think that anyone on pre-payment has something wrong with them .When I phone them to ask for a meter they refuse and when I ask why I am told to phone ovo, and I am on the phone to ovo. Why the secrecy? Once I've jumped through all the hoops I'm away to a more up front company

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

It dosn,t make sense , this meter was fitted years ago and has never been any trouble  , as for me , I have been a pre-payment customer by  choice as there are no big bills . 

Ovo on the other hand seem to think that anyone on pre-payment has something wrong with them .When I phone them to ask for a meter they refuse and when I ask why I am told to phone ovo, and I am on the phone to ovo. Why the secrecy? Once I've jumped through all the hoops I'm away to a more up front company

Hi @David marshall if you post some pictures of your meter some of the regulars on this forum may be able to give you some advice. 

Has Ovo got too large that it now does not want to deal with repairs to smart meters  of customers who have been loyal to them for a number years.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Longtime customer , as another customer I’m interested to know what repairs are needed?

My last meter reading was on January 26th from then I have had to give manual readings. I have been on the help  page on numerous occasions and jumped through the hoops and I am waiting to be given a date when my meter will be repaired or changed.