Solved

Had a smart meter fitted months ago - why am I being asked to submit a reading every month?

Userlevel 1

I had an electricity meter installed in April for the good it’s done me..  Every month they ask me to submit manual readin because they can’t get smart reading.  I don’t have a baldy clue how to read it - the engineer didn’t show me.  What is the point of a smart meter that doesn’t work and I can’t use.  Ovo are awful.  Can’t wait to leave.  Howver any advice on how to read meter greatly appreciated.  Thanks

icon

Best answer by Jeffus 18 August 2022, 13:28

View original

37 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Cheekyone 

Firstly great to see the word baldy being used 🙂

As each make of meter is different it would be useful if you could post a photo of the actual meter or give us the make and model of it we can give you step by step instructions.

Userlevel 1

Hi Neal

Thanks for the response.

Only used baldy because it probably isn’t appropriate to swear!

I will take a photo when I go there tomorrow.

Ceri

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Cheekyone

Out of curiosity what does this page show? 

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/electricity

Here is mine for example. Just to check the meter isn't sending any readings at all. 

Userlevel 1

Good afternoon Jeffus

This is what I’ve got.  Still asking me ro do manual read but I don’t have the foggiest how to get to see the numbers on this meter and they put it in a damn awkward spot right next to the front door hinge!

I absolutely hate it but I had to have it or pay more!  More of a hindrance than a help by far!  Will be going there shortly to takke some photos.  Will be easier when I move in next week!

Thanks

Ceri

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Updated on 23/06/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Out of curiosity what does this page show? 

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/electricity

Here is mine for example. Just to check the meter isn't sending any readings at all. 

This is what I’ve got.  Still asking me ro do manual read but I don’t have the foggiest how to get to see the numbers on this meter and they put it in a damn awkward spot right next to the front door hinge!

I absolutely hate it but I had to have it or pay more!  More of a hindrance than a help by far!  Will be going there shortly to takke some photos.  Will be easier when I move in next week!

​​​@Cheekyone

OK it can take up to 6 weeks after installation for a smart meter to fully configure,  although you have had yours over  6 weeks now so it would normally be OK.

Interesting OVO are picking up electric smart meter readings on the 21st and 30th of every month.

Contact the OVO Support Team and ask them to set your smart meters to send readings every 30 minutes. 

You should then with any luck start to see readings on this page once a day and never have to read your smart meter. 

It is worth a try as this is often the issue when there are regular but not daily smart meter reading on the app. 

I would do this and see if it works before entering a manual reading on the app. 

Does that make sense?

You can give the OVO Support Team a link to this thread in case it helps

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/smart-meters-136/help-for-reading-meter-11025?postid=55565#post55565

Assuming you have one, what does the gas reading page look like? 

Userlevel 1

Hi Jeffus

Said they couldn’t fit a gas one.  So to make matters even worse, even though it is supposed to be a dual fuel account, they said even if they couldn’t fit gas one, then my tariff would stay same..  Hoever, my electricity now has and end date 28/04/23 but the gas is on 20/02/23 - 67 days apart so next year - I could end up paying an early exit fee even though this is supposed to be a 1 yr fixed deal.  However, got so much going on with house move, it willhave to wait until after when I will certainly be taking this to the top.  They have ignored two official complaints and when they did phone me, the caller could see my email but couldn”t answer my query - so why waste my time phoning?  When they tried to pass me on a third time, I told them forget it because had to go through all security EVERY time they passed me on to somebody else.  Think they do it deliberately to put you off trying to do something.  Ovo are atrocious.

cheers

Ceri

Userlevel 1

Hi Jeffus

been to house - this is the not so smart meter. Cheers.  Ceri

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi

Information on your meter can be found here

https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/landis-and-gyr-e470-smart-meters

I have cut/pasted the bit about readings

Your Landis Gyr E470 smart meter should show your reading automatically on its display screen. If you can't see it very well, press the A button a few times until you see the words Total Act Import on the screen. Beneath that, you should see your reading. The screen will light up, for better visibility.

But as i said, i wouldn't try giving a manual reading yet. Ask OVO to change the meter reading frequency to 30minutes and see if that fixes the electricity meter first. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Jeffus

Said they couldn’t fit a gas one.  So to make matters even worse, even though it is supposed to be a dual fuel account, they said even if they couldn’t fit gas one, then my tariff would stay same..  Hoever, my electricity now has and end date 28/04/23 but the gas is on 20/02/23 - 67 days apart so next year - I could end up paying an early exit fee even though this is supposed to be a 1 yr fixed deal.  However, got so much going on with house move, it willhave to wait until after when I will certainly be taking this to the top.  They have ignored two official complaints and when they did phone me, the caller could see my email but couldn”t answer my query - so why waste my time phoning?  When they tried to pass me on a third time, I told them forget it because had to go through all security EVERY time they passed me on to somebody else.  Think they do it deliberately to put you off trying to do something.  Ovo are atrocious.

cheers

Ceri

Hi @Cheekyone

OK so lets look at each issue in turn and see if any of us can help once you have moved. Here are a few things to look at once you have moved. 

1. Gas Meter. Sometimes unfortunately a smart gas meter can't be fitted,  e.g. it is too far away,  not enough space. Did OVO explain why they couldn't fit one? It would be worth asking if only just to confirm. There may be nothing any supplier can do about that. So obviously you will have to give manual gas readings. 

2. The Electricity meter readings,  ask OVO to change the meter reading frequency to 30minutes and lets see if that works. I personally wouldn't give a  manual electric readings until they have tried that. They are already getting 2 electric smart readings a month that they can use in the short term. 

3. The different end dates for the contract for gas and electric. Is it just the end dates that don't align?  Are the actual unit rates and standing charges for gas and electric as you expected?

4. Is there anything else?

I hope your move goes OK. Good luck in your new home. 

Userlevel 1

Hi Jeffus

Thanks very much for this info.  It is all now going to have to wait until I’ve moved because there is a hell of a lot to unravel.

The gas meter is on the outside to the left of the front door as you approach it so I can’t understand the problem.

However, because my account is over £300 in credit,  I cannot get a refund because of the meter reading thing.  Ovo wanted to increase my d/d because I MAY be £23.75 in debit at end of fix.  Ovo know damnwell that over the winter the gov’t are going to be crediting my account with £400.  Every time I mention it, it falls on completely deaf ears an/or lack of understanding from the people I have been in contact with.  Ovo have the worst customer service I have ever come accross.

I am completely unimpressed and quite angry to be honest.

Thank you for your help and advice.

Will be in touch once I’ve moved if that’s ok.

Regards

Ceri

Userlevel 1

Hi Jeffus

Sooner than I expectd to be getting back to you and I am now not angry - spitting feathers.  Decided to check plan while having a cuppa break.

I signed up for 12 months FIXED until 20 Feb 2023.

To my surprise, they have INCREASED the daily charge for electricity from 41.2545p to 49.13p - 7.8755p per day increase.

Strangely, the gas daily charge and price has decreased by fractions of a pence.

How can the rate change on a fixed contract?

How on earth is this happening.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Ceri

Userlevel 7

That is very odd, @Cheekyone - a fixed contract means no unit rate or standing charge changes for the duration. 5% VAT doesn’t explain it, I don’t know what to suggest except, we won’t be much help here on the forum. I’m sorry to say. 

Can you flag it with our Support team and keep us updated?

Userlevel 1

Thanks for that Tom.

Under too much pressure to deal with it right now.  Will have to wait until after I move.

Will do next wee.

Ceri

Userlevel 2

Emmanuelle_OVO

Hi, We have had both meters replaced. The Electric meter on the 6/5/22 and Gas meter 18/7/22. Ovo are still asking for readings for both meters. My acc will not accept the new Gas meter reading. I have taken a few manual recorded readings for reference. Is this something you can look into for me please ?

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Just tagging @Emmanuelle_OVO in so hopefully the thread is spotted. And also @Blastoise186 just because I can.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Steveo,

Welcome to the OVO online community. 

It sounds like your online account may not have been updated with your new meter details yet. It can take up to 6 weeks from the date of the install but as it has now been longer than that timeframe I’d advise contacting our Support Team

When a smart meter is installed, the systems need to be updated with the new meter serial number, the removal read of the old meter and install read of the new meter. They may be missing some of this information, but don’t worry- that information can be found on the meter itself!

Send Support a photo of the meter serial number (which can be found above the barcode) and the yellow or white sticker which will show the removal read of the old meter and the install read of the new meter. 

They can then let the right team know who can get this sorted for you.

Keep us posted with how you get on!

Userlevel 2

Hi, Still having problems with both electric and gas meters. Electric meter exchanged 6/5/2022 and Gas meter exchanged 18/7/2022. Both now are Smets2. The app won't accept the new Gas meter reading which was set at 00000. The app is also now asking for a night time reading ! The meter doesn't have a night time reading. And we are not on an eco 7 tarriff. I have emailed the meter readings to Natalie Discombe, Sarah Ball, your support team, and complaints. I haven't heard a thing back ! I have up to date readings taken today.

Please can someone contact me please ?

Regards 

Userlevel 2

@Emmanuelle_OVO Hi, still haven't heard anything, after sending proof to various depts, of both readings !

Badge +1

@Cheekyone 

If you have moved from one region to another then the prices will change.  Just be thankful that you fix still runs to Feb 23.

Userlevel 2

@Cheekyone

If you have moved from one region to another then the prices will change.  Just be thankful that you fix still runs to Feb 23.

No haven't moved !!! Not sure what your on about !! 🤷

Userlevel 7

Hey @Steveo,

Sorry for the issues you’re having.

When you get a smart meter exchanged the engineer will make a note of the removal reading for the old meter, and the opening reading for the new meter (in this case 00000). They will then send this information, in a job report, to OVO. So you shouldn’t need to submit the opening read of the new meter.

If you think this information hasn’t been passed on, you can take a photo of the yellow or white sticker on each of your meters and send that across to Support

It sounds like a couple of things may have happened here. It might be that the Online Account doesn’t recognize that you have had smart meters installed. I’d check the meter serial numbers listed on your Online Account against the meter serial numbers on the meters themselves.

If the correct meters are showing on the Online Account, and both meters are smart they should be sending meter readings automatically. We have some great guides which might be helpful to you:

If your smart meters are sending us readings, this would be why you aren’t able to submit manual readings online. 

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Steveo,

I’ve just responded to your question in another thread:

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 2

Thanks, that's just it, they are not being sent ! They keep asking for readings. The gas meter reading now, is lower than the last reading " from last October" hence they are rejected. What am I expected to do ? I have sent copies of meter readings and the yellow sticker on the Gas meter. I need someone to sort this out !!! Also why are they now asking for a night time reading ? I don't have a night time reading to submit ! That's why the electric reading are rejected!!! Hopeless.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Steveo,

Sorry to hear your issues are on-going.

It might be that the Online Account doesn’t recognize that you have had smart meters installed. I’d check the meter serial numbers listed on your Online Account against the meter serial numbers on the meters themselves.

If the correct meters are showing on the Online Account, and both meters are smart they should be sending meter readings automatically. We have some great guides which might be helpful to you:

Are you able to check the meter serial numbers? If they match are you able to send Support a smart meter health check.

Let’s get to the bottom of this for you!

This is a timeline showing how angry I feel as a Customer of OVO!!!

02/09/22
Gas Reading submitted for 17900, which has been ignored in all subsequent Account data.
02/09/22
Reading from 2nd-11th September used for billing not in line with Gas Usage since joining OVO in June 2021.
12/09/22
Smart Meters installed - Engineer wrote Electric Reading on Card attached to new Meter, but nothing on Gas Meter. WHY?
22/10/22
Received Email from OVO advising Account error.
23/10/22
Responded to OVO Email stating that the final Gas Reading and the subsequent Estimated Readings used to generate bill were incorrect. The Reading of 19706 does not reflect the previous 16 months Readings or Usage. I suggested that the Reading should be 17906 which then would be in line with the Meter Reading that I provided on September 2nd.
24/10/22
Sent further information wrt OVO Account error.
24/10/22
Sent even more information wrt OVO Account error including Screenshot of September 2nd Meter Reading of 17900, providing evidence of actual Usage.
27/10/22
Received notification of new Energy bill with incorrect Account information.
27/10/22
Opened WhatsApp conversation with OVO.
27/10/22
Provided information in response to OVO request.
27/10/22
Received reply from OVO via Email that I only read on 29/10/22. This Email did not answer my query, totally missing the point of my issue. Despite conversing with someone called Elisha and spelling out the issue, it was passed to Kirsty who focused on the alignment of Smart Meters, whose Readings were in line with all previous Readings supplied by myself, and not the fact that I was stating that OVO was using an incorrect final Reading of the  Old Gas Meter to generate a totally unrealistic Bill.
29/10/22
Responded to Email of 27th and opened up another WhatsApp conversation, expressing my annoyance and requesting Escalation process.
30/10/22
Generated this timeline of events.