Solved

Gas Smart meter failed battery failed and I'm off supply - How can I get an emergency appointment at the weekend?

Show first post

107 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi Tim. I appreciate that you've followed up on this. However your response doesn't fully address the issue that arose due to somewhat unusual length of time that OVO were closed over the New Year. The social media team did eventually pick up on this but they were basically useless. First they denied the meter was faulty then they failed to get anyone to contact us, despite committing to do so. As it was a gas meter that was the problem and there was no other way of heating the house in mid winter, to say the response was poor is somewhat of an understatement.

The meters have now been replaced with the latest SMEGS2 meters but now in discussion with OVO again, as it seems the new electricity meter isn't sending readings.

Userlevel 7

I’m sorry to hear about of your experience when you were in contact with our team on social media, @Prefdavid - you’re able to raise this as a complaint, and this might be recommended if you believe this contributed to a longer period of time for the house being off supply. See our complaints process and get the ball rolling here.

We did pass on your feedback about the flame symbol on the meter screen to that team to make sure there wasn’t any confusion around this. 

As for that electricity smart meter possibly not sending your readings to OVO, we’ve made a guide that might be helpful in working out why:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Tim_OVO i think we are still left with the issue of there being no process for handling emergency gas meter replacements at least if ovo is your supplier for 4 days during what could have been a very cold part of the year. 

I appreciate there is a process for electricity meters during that period but there isn't one for gas meters  if OVO happens to be your supplier. As an example British Gas has an emergency number that is open 7 days a a week, 24 hours a day for emergency gas meter calls so OVOs standard process could also  perhaps be better given the size of the company now? 

Perhaps go back and ask if anything could be done for long future holidays at the very least? 

Userlevel 7

Thanks for sharing your feedback here, @Jeffus.

Perhaps go back and ask if anything could be done for long future holidays at the very least? 

We're always looking to ensure our customers have the support and help they need, so we'll make sure this gets passed on!

Userlevel 6
Badge

Unbelievable it fails to off, and maybe you should use the emergency number to get help as. You’ve no heating etc 

It might be a safety issue, but yes, another point of failure in the system. So always keep a space heater ready? 

I have no gas to my property apparently its a meter problem but no one is willing to help me

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @kazzy55 ,

Can you show us photos of the gas meter please? We might be able to advise you on this one.

I am at work at the moment but the error code is M***** thats what happens when i press the red button on the meter, when i press the black button on the meter a index meter reading appears, i have no

clue what to do SSE are not good i am close to breaking point. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yeah, that sounds like the meter is dead then. You’ll need to request a faulty meter exchange in this situation. It’s likely that both your meters will be upgraded to smart meters as part of the job.

what do i do in the meantime i have no gas at all, so no water, heating, or cooker any ideas 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’m afraid your options are limited until someone can come out. Bypassing the meter isn’t an option and if it’s closed the valve as part of the failure, there’s nothing that you can do to re-open it I’m afraid.

If you’re off-supply though, this counts as an emergency job with a pretty fast response time.

please dont laugh but their call centres are in south africa and no one will help me i called 3 time yesterday and they promised a 3 hours call out but no one came 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hmm… This is why I much prefer OVO’s use of UK based call centres over the terrible ones SSE uses… I can definitely say things will improve once your account is migrated!

Let me ask someone to stop by this thread.

thank you 

Userlevel 7

I’m surprised and sorry to hear you’ve not been able to get an emergency engineer appointment booked, @kazzy55 if it’s correct that the meter is faulty and needs replacing. Our support team can certainly get this booked in for you today, please call them on: 0330 303 5063.

I topped up my pre payment card even though im in credit of about £200 and i went to put card in and my gas meter saying battery fail leaving me and my young son with no hot water or heating and can not find out how to get help from ovo absolutely disgraceful anyone on forum know how??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Try 0330 175 9669 but be quick. The line is only open for another 45 minutes from the time I post this.

Otherwise, it’ll be open again in the morning. Your meters need to be replaced with Smart Meters to fully resolve this one.

It sounds like the battery in the current gas meter has been drained to the point where it’s at reserve level. It is too low to continue being serviceable, so the gas meter has had to shut off the supply to preserve the last remaining battery capacity to enable a meter exchange. This is by design and it’s also a safety measure. OVO cannot control this behaviour as it’s designed and programmed in by the meter manufacturer, not OVO.

How do I get help at the weekend my gas  metre is not working it is not a smart metre it is traditional tried 5 hours on the phone yesterday and tried the web chat still no joy. It’s been -3 overnight I can’t find any way to get in touch with ovo

Userlevel 7

Hi @jaccackles, really sorry to hear about the issues with your gas supply / meter over the weekend. 

I’m not sure if you’re a prepayment customer with OVO or Boost. If you are, they have customer Support teams open on both Saturday and Sunday.

For OVO, we have digital support channels like web chat, Facebook and Twitter open on Saturday. On Sunday if there’s a gas meter issue that’s stopping a supply, our Support team will send out someone on Monday if the meter needs replacing. 

More information on our guide here

Thanks Tim I am with ovo as you transfered me to them at the beginning of the year and tried everything over the weekend but no joy or heating it was -3.

the advisor this morning Monday was very helpful and sent an engineer out but I cannot believe that you do not have a call system at the weekend we pay 24 hours a day 7 days a week and we should get emergency help 7 days a week minimum. I tried the chat that ended at without me being able to speak to an advisor I also tried Facebook no joy and I don’t have twitter

I have a traditional metre

No gas 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Gillian Turnbull can you add more info?

Gas meter out of credit?

No supply?

We can then perhaps try to help

Userlevel 7

Hey @Gillian Turnbull,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

If your pay as you go with Boost, please contact their Support Team

If your off supply with OVO, all your gas appliances aren’t working and the issue appears to be the meter, please call Support to arrange an emergency appointment. 

Hope this helps. 

Hi, can anyone from OVO confirm in writing what the behaviour is for its latest SMETS2 gas meters if the battery fails, for pay monthly i.e. credit customers? Does the gas valve remain open, or does the meter instruct the valve to close before the battery dies?

The fail-safe mode should be open, as having the valve closing the gas off could cause serious damage e.g. if house unoccupied in winter and so pipes freeze. I am aware that the meter should emit warning tones, but that does not help if nobody is there to hear them.

And could the gas meters not use some miniature flow turbine to trickle-charge the battery, so that this does not need to be regularly replaced?

Thanks, Mike

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi, can anyone from OVO confirm in writing what the behaviour is for its latest SMETS2 gas meters if the battery fails, for pay monthly i.e. credit customers? Does the gas valve remain open, or does the meter instruct the valve to close before the battery dies?

The fail-safe mode should be open, as having the valve closing the gas off could cause serious damage e.g. if house unoccupied in winter and so pipes freeze. I am aware that the meter should emit warning tones, but that does not help if nobody is there to hear them.

And could the gas meters not use some miniature flow turbine to trickle-charge the battery, so that this does not need to be regularly replaced?

Thanks, Mike

Not sure about the valve situation @vrmike but the battery should last around 10 years