Solved

Gas Smart meter failed battery failed and I'm off supply - How can I get an emergency appointment at the weekend?

• 21 November 2021
  • 3 replies

Smart meter failed.  No display. Will not wake up, no warnings (Audiable) or on the smart meter in-house display  Spoke to Cadet they said the meter faulty.   Why do smart meters fail closed?  The fail appeared on Saturday afternoon, Central heating boiler detected no gas ignition.  Cadet said OVO are responsible for the meter and require it to be replaced.  Just seems mad to fail closed.  No heating/hot water for nearly 2 days.

I assume as the fault is with the OVO there will be a compensation owed for inconvenience.

Meter approx 10 years old.

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 22 November 2021, 15:12

View original

3 replies

Unbelievable it fails to off, and maybe you should use the emergency number to get help as. You’ve no heating etc 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi there @gareth and @Ianf ,

Sorry to hear about that! To me, this sounds like the entire meter has failed, possibly due to the internal battery running out. The meter itself should have warned you at least a few months ahead, so I’d be a bit surprised if it didn’t.

This sounds like you might be on Boost Pay As You Go perhaps, as the valve shouldn’t close in Credit Mode, only for Prepayment Mode so as to stop someone from getting “free” gas. Either way, please give OVO/Boost a ring in the morning and request an Emergency Meter Exchange. They’ll get someone out ASAP.

This isn’t actually OVO’s fault however, and I’m afraid no compensation is due that I’d be aware of. It’s most likely just wear and tear, which is something that you’ll almost never get compensation for regardless of what the entity is I’m afraid. The best OVO can do is arrange an Emergency Meter Exchange to be carried out within four hours of you reporting this to the Support Team. If the engineer doesn’t turn up, the Guaranteed Service Standards would let you claim for that - I think it’s at least £30 if memory serves, but it might be £60.

Userlevel 7

I’m so sorry to hear your gas meter battery failed, @gareth, particularly as this left you off-supply. 

All gas meters (Smart and traditional) have an internal battery that power them. This is designed to last for up to 20 years, with a meter recertification (exchanging the meter to replace it with a new one) scheduled every 10 years, so it’s unusual for this issue to crop up so soon. If your gas smart meter is making a beeping sound, it indicates that the battery is low and the meter will need replacing. If the battery fails this can affect the supply, as in your case, so it’s important to reach out to our Support Team if you do ever notice that your meter is beeping.

It’s really distressing to hear that this happened out-of-hours and you were unable to give us a call - we do have emergency contact details here and would encourage you to use these to report any urgent issues when our phone lines are closed. As you have found our phone lines aren’t open over the weekend but we do cover the hours 8am - 6pm, Monday - Friday in line with industry standards.

If you need to contact the team over the weekend, our Social team are able to support you - send us a message on Facebook or Twitter from 9am - 5pm, Saturday and Sunday. This team are also able to schedule in an emergency meter appointment if needed.

I’m hoping you’ve managed to get through to the team to arrange a same-day emergency appointment already. Keep us posted if you need any extra help.