Solved

Gas meter mounting too high to get a Smart Meter?

• 9 May 2023
  • 9 replies

I'm looking to get my meters upgraded to smart meters. 

I just wanted to double check if there will be a problem.

Currently my gas meter is installed at 6ft internally in the garage. 

The garage is in integral garage within the house. 

Do I need to contact the gas network to have this lowered before requesting a smart meter installation? 

icon

Best answer by Jeffus 9 May 2023, 13:17

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @lGregl and a good question .. not too sure if the correct answer but there’s a guide to installation here which might help

It might be worth putting these threads together

I’ve looked on this link 

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/my-account-140/engineer-jobs-with-ovo-a-technical-guide-to-the-type-of-work-we-can-arrange-and-issues-which-might-delay-the-job-being-completed-8624

And it seems to suggest it’s too high, I just wanted confirmation that is the case. Do I contact cadent? to have it lowered?

I’m happy if the 2 threads are merged, I just thought they were separate topics. I don’t want to breach forum guidelines in any way.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @lGregl , there’s no problem with different threads but as it’s part of the same install I thought it might be useful - one of the forum mods will take a view later. 
Having gone through the guide again, it sounds like the gas meter does need to be moved down otherwise the engineer would have to use a ladder which is considered problematic in these cases. 
If Cadent are your gas transporter then yes, they would need to be involved. It’s also worth noting the need for an earth bond on the pipework within 600mm of the meter so this might need an electrical hand as well as the smart meter installer would not be allowed to move anything existing

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Using a ladder isn't an issue, but there are still maximum heights that engineers can work at even with the ladders they normally carry. They carry ladders as part of their normal work. 

I have noticed different suppliers quote different heights depending on the ladders they carry and number of engineers

This is an example of a different supplier. 

"Your meters can't be more than 8ft above the ground

If your meters are more than 8ft above the ground, depending on engineer availability, we might be able to send an extra engineer to help out with the installation. It'll be up to the engineer to decide what's safe on the day. And depending on your meter set up, this might vary" 

For OVO I have only seen 6ft maximum ever quoted as a maximum height which is based on the ladders they have. 

Personally i would call OVO, ask for a smart meter appointment and ask them if they are OK with the gas meter being 6ft. Let OVO say what they are happy with at the time of the booking. 

@Jeffus 

Thanks that’s a good idea. I could arrange for a temporary 1’ platform, it would be cheaper than having the meter moved. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Jeffus

Thanks that’s a good idea. I could arrange for a temporary 1’ platform, it would be cheaper than having the meter moved. 

They may not be able to use anything you supply. 

Just remember, it is not completely unusual to have meters that high. There are a lot of older houses with meters inside above the front door. Your meter is no higher than that and access looks good generally apart from being high. No tight spaces to work with. 

If you call OVO i am sure they can figure out what they can safely do within their limits. Or whether they are unwilling to send an engineer to try. 

Alternatively call a couple of other suppliers if you have no luck with OVO  and see what they can accommodate with their own limits. The Faster Switching service between suppliers is very quick these days.

Finally, do you have neighbours with similar houses who have put in smart meters? 

I’ve given OVO a call this afternoon, they didn’t say either way specifically. 

At present there are no installation dates in my area, however there will be in future, so it’ll probably be best to wait until they can view it. 

If it’s not suitable I will probably switch supplier, it doesn’t make sense to make alterations when other suppliers are okay to work with it. 

Yes, I have many neighbours with the same type of house. I’d assume the gas meters would be in a similar location. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Yes, I have many neighbours with the same type of house. I’d assume the gas meters would be in a similar location. 

Perhaps ask around to see if any of them have replaced their gas meter with a  smart meter without moving it. That may be the quickest way of identifying a supplier it is worth at least looking at switching to.