Solved

Gas meter is clocking incredibly high usage with no one in the house?

• 13 December 2022
  • 33 replies

Show first post

33 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@BPLightlog would you expect a leak to show as peaks and troughs through the day or would it show a consistent amount?

If it’s a small joint leak it could change in the temperature variation during the day, although the energy shown on your readings looks a bit high for that.

When you saying switching the gas off do you mean at the valve? I believe our only gas applicants is the boiler as per our gas safety certificate send by landlord which is currently off at the mains but could switch off at the valve

There should be a valve by the gas meter. It will look like this 

I’ll have a look at the meter readings over the full day tomorrow and convert to kWh to check if it matches up and report back!

Ok - it’s worth checking with neighbours as @juliamc mentions if you can

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

With all this talk about potential leaks, whether or not it is a leak or not, i can't help thinking the only advice we should be giving is to get a local qualified gas engineer to come and diagnose what the issue may be? 

I don't think i would be turning the gas on and off if it were my house to try and diagnose potential causes in this situation. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Safety first of course - with the readings shown, I doubt it is a leak especially if there’s no smell of gas. If I had a leak I think one of the first things I’d do is to turn the gas off but here if the supply was absolutely off for a specific period of time it will show whether the usage is correct if not

Hi everyone thanks so much for all your previous advice

It’s been a busy week so haven’t been able to focus on this  as I’d have liked but I think I’ve finally cracked it! We turned our gas off at the valve last night and another flat complained that their hot water wasn’t working, while ours was still working - so it seems we have a crossed meter. Will reach out to OVO with this information and hopefully we will finally get a resolution!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi everyone thanks so much for all your previous advice

It’s been a busy week so haven’t been able to focus on this  as I’d have liked but I think I’ve finally cracked it! We turned our gas off at the valve last night and another flat complained that their hot water wasn’t working, while ours was still working - so it seems we have a crossed meter. Will reach out to OVO with this information and hopefully we will finally get a resolution!

Glad you’ve found the cause. Do you know which one is yours now? and hopefully you’ve put your heating on

I have a big problem since they changed the meter to gasmy last reading is different from the one on the new meter screenit grows very fast in two days it has 00023.870 m3 and growing more and moreI waited for the engineer to come yesterday and he didn't come nor did anyone call me to inform meI called them and they said that someone from ovo would call me yesterday and today but no one called mewhat to dowhat is the problem and how can i solve it?
I have a big problem since they changed the meter to gasmy last reading is different from the one on the new meter screenit grows very fast in two days it has 00023.870 m3 and growing more and moreI waited for the engineer to come yesterday and he didn't come nor did anyone call me to inform meI called them and they said that someone from ovo would call me yesterday and today but no one called mewhat to dowhat is the problem and how can i solve it?
Userlevel 7

Hey @Giorgya,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

When a meter exchange takes place the engineer will make a note of the removal reading of the old meter, you’ll get a final bill for that meter. Then make a note of the install read of your new meter, you’ll be billed from this reading. There should be a white or yellow sticker on the meter with these readings. 

If you’re concerned your meter is clocking to fast, these topic’s may help:

If you smell gas or thin you have a leak:

Call the 24-hour National Gas Emergency service on 0800 111 999

• Do open doors and windows to let the gas out

• Do check your gas appliances are switched off

• Do turn your gas off at the isolation switch (if you know where it is)

• Do wait outside your home, and let your neighbours know#

• Don't use any electrical switches, and don't switch lights on or off

• Don't smoke, light a match, or use any other kind of naked flame

• Don't go back into your home until you've got the all-clear

Signs of a gas leak

• Strong smell of gas in your home

• The pilot light on your boiler frequently blows out

• Pilot light or gas rings on your cooker are orange or yellow, rather than crisp blue

• Soot or scorched areas on the exterior of appliances

• More condensation than usual on windows