Solved

Export data not updating - why?

• 29 July 2023
  • 9 replies

Hi. We have just had a new Aclara meter fitted so we can monitor our export from the solar but it has been stuck on 000007kwh for last 4 days when my solar app says during that period I have exported at least 45kwh. Any ideas why this may be?  Thanks. . 

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 31 July 2023, 13:04

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7

Hey @Jasisdad,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

I’m wondering if the meter could be faulty:

Who was the installer? Are you please able to upload a photo?

Thanks Emmanuel

i will have a look through that link tonight.  This is the meter and it was installed by SMS organised by Ovo.  As you can see from the pictures the export is currently sitting at 10kwh so is going up but solar app says we have exported 30kwh over the last 3 days alone!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

What sort of system do you have @Jasisdad ? What inverter and software? Do you have a battery connected?

The measurement devices on most systems aren’t as accurate as the smart meters

Hi. Thanks for helping. We have a 9.88kw system (25 panels) with a solis Hybrid inverter (we are 3 phase) and 2 pylon batteries. 

interestingly since the smart meter was fitted the solis app says we have imported 274 kw and exported 66kwh but the smart meter says 249kw imported and 10kw exported. So the smart meter is lower on both sides. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi. Thanks for helping. We have a 9.88kw system (25 panels) with a solis Hybrid inverter (we are 3 phase) and 2 pylon batteries. 

interestingly since the smart meter was fitted the solis app says we have imported 274 kw and exported 66kwh but the smart meter says 249kw imported and 10kw exported. So the smart meter is lower on both sides. 

Ah, ok. Presumably you have the Aclara on a single phase as I don’t think there are any 3 phase smart meters. There are a few others asking about 3 phase export eg. 

I wonder how your inverter exports .. whether it’s on a particular phase or balanced across phases. That might explain some of the differences you see perhaps. I know of one location I was consulting on which eventually used a particular inverter so that it would make the most of the generation exported. 

As far as I know the solis inverter balances all the phases so presume that must be on import and export.  The Aclara is a 3 phase meter and we had a massive fight to get one fitted (I knew SMS had been fitting them for other providers) looking at the wires coming out of the meter it looks like it is on all 3 phases but I am certainly no electrician. Why would they fit a 3 phase meter and only use one phase?  I have a Zappi car charger and that app says different useage as well. So have now spent a load of money and no idea why I have 3 different devices all with different data!!!  Aahhh

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I’ve never seen an Aclara 3 phase meter so not sure how it operates. For your inverter, it would be connected to all 3 phases but it will depend how it’s set up as to how it exports. 
One thing I had to look at previously - although this was with an AMR meter - was how it handled the import/export balancing .. whether it ‘summed’ the phases etc. I think there are separate registers per phase and so is what you’re looking at just one phase?

The other thing to review is how the inverter is set up. It may balance export across phases (not all do) but does it balance against import and so provide the highest reduction of usage? Also is what it registers as export including anything that simply reduces import?

Sorry, lots of questions but it’s a complicated setup 

Thanks BP. It certainly does seem like some of the export is going against the import. I will chat with the Solar guys to discuss about the inverter. Thinking of getting an independent electrician in to check where/how it has all been wired (including the ct clamps for the Harvi -as I did that!). Would all electricians be “able” to deal with a 3 phase system (as known it is reasonably unusual) or should I look for someone who has more experience in this field?  I tried to follow everything from the board last night and it is a bit of a nightmare!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Working on 3 phase generally needs a certain level of additional knowledge and authorisation as the energy potential is so high. Also those CT’s are critical for measurement in terms of location. 
The one thing I’ve come to understand over the last number of years is that not all electrically qualified people understand interconnections with solar PV and battery storage work well enough