Does OVO have plans to offer a 3 Phase smart meter for supplies larger than "100A per phase” connections (CT-type meters), and “vector sum” compliant?

• 17 August 2020
  • 89 replies

Show first post

89 replies

Userlevel 7

Any update on OVO offering SMETS2 meters on 3 phase supplies, this topic seems to have gone cold

3 Phase SMETS 2 meters seem to be the hot topic around here at the moment so thanks for re-raising this one, @mks56.

Yup, I believe this is now possible. However, I’ll ask @Tim_OVO and @Jess_OVO to double check. Just to be sure. :)

Not quite! We’ve checked for an update on our 3 Phase Smart Meter position and things appear to be moving in the right direction, whilst we don’t offer them yet, we have started running trials of these in a number of sites so it’s looking more hopeful. We’ll obviously update everyone here once these are more generally available but in the meantime we’re only able to offer Smart Meters for single phase members.

Hope this helps. :blush:

Thanks for the update, good news the 3 phase SMETS2 meters are coming, hopefully soon. I’ll keep an eye on this forum for updates

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries!

With SMETS2 meters, as long as it’s installed by someone who’s approved to do so, the meter will work with pretty much all suppliers. Hang in there for just a bit longer. They might be ready sooner than you think. :)

Userlevel 7

Back with an update on this one - Are you a single rate 3 phase OVO member interested in upgrading to a Smart meter? 

If so we’re interested to hear from you - Send a PM to myself or @Tim_OVO for more details...:slight_smile:

Back with an update on this one - Are you a single rate 3 phase OVO member interested in upgrading to a Smart meter? 

If so we’re interested to hear from you - Send a PM to myself or @Tim_OVO for more details...:slight_smile:

Jess,

Any news on dual rate 3 phase SMETS2?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Heya @mks56 !

I don’t know if that’s possible just yet I’m afraid. Most of the trials of this type which OVO does tend to be for Single-Rate tariffs during the trial period. However, this particular one will likely become available to Dual-Rate or Multi-Rate members later on, so I’d definitely recommend keeping an eye out. You might want to send Jess a message anyway to register your interest. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

As this issue is related to the Billing System software, I would imagine the logical next step would be to offer the full variable Time Of Use tariff. A halfway stage of supporting dual-rate (Economy-7) would probably be not much less work.

As this issue is related to the Billing System software, I would imagine the logical next step would be to offer the full variable Time Of Use tariff. A halfway stage of supporting dual-rate (Economy-7) would probably be not much less work.

Hi all, just checking in again. Any news on 3 phase, SMETS2 economy 7 meters?

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi there @mks56 !

Good to see you again. :)

Did you previously let @Tim_OVO and @Jess_OVO know you were interested in this one? If not, you might want to chat with them to see if the offer is still open. You might get lucky! That offer was for Single-Rate only, but it may still be worth asking for more info.

As far as I’m aware, it’s quite possible that Three-Phase S2 Smart Meters will be a thing eventually and Economy 7 support will be possible as well at some point in the future. I’ve asked for more advice on this one and we’ll keep you posted.

Userlevel 7

Hi @mks56 and thanks for chasing this one up.

Whilst we are starting to install some 3 Phase smart meters in selected trial sites, we've still got some testing and behind-the scenes work to do in the hope that we'll be able to offer them more widely at some point next year.

Have sent you a PM with some more details so check it out. :thumbsup:

Userlevel 2

Hi OVO folks

Just revisiting this topic, after a lengthy absence, to check on your progress with 3-phase SMETS2 meter capability?

Look forward to any updates you may have.

Thanks in advance.

S

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hiya @SeanS !

Welcome back by the way. :blush:

I don’t think you’ve met me before, but my name’s Blastoise186 and I’m one of the forum volunteers who joined while you were away. A lot has happened in that time after all!

I do also have some good news actually. OVO has started testing 3-Phase S2 in a few sites so far and I think there’s plans to start rolling out more over the coming months. I’ll see if @Tim_OVO or @Jess_OVO (a new mod by the way!) have any further updates from the teams. But as far as I know, OVO has been looking for people interested in testing these out, so if you have a chat with Tim or Jess, you might get lucky.

I think OVO has gone with the Aclara SGM1430 Series as well, which is great because the entire SGM1400 Series is pretty much rock solid and the SGM1430 sub-series are basically identical to the others in the series, except for having 3-Phase support as well.

Either way, I can definitely say with pretty high confidence that they’re on the way and coming soon to an OVO member near you! :joy:

Userlevel 2

Thanks for the update @Blastoise186 I will reach out to Jess or Tim in respect of participating in a trial as I have a property with a connection that would be compatible with the Aclara S2 polyphase meter. The service cutout there is 3-phase with 100A fuses and uses direct current style metering.

At another larger connection, unfortunately I think that will need to remain as a proprietary AMR meter. The 3-phase service cutout on this is 200A per phase and presently uses a CT (current transformer) type meter. I don’t there is any smart meter manufacturer (at present) that make a SMETS2 compatible polyphase meter that utilises CT style metering connection to the service cutout. I believe the govt have said such larger connections (which are primarily non-domestic to be fair) shall remain as proprietary AMR for ‘smart metering’ purposes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries!

I’m afraid you’ll probably struggle with that 200A supply. I don’t think even Aclara has anything under their residential products that can handle that much power. Maybe they do have something in the business range, but I can’t think of anything that would be appropriate for the use case.

This forum has actually grown a lot in recent months, and there’s a possible chance someone else here might know a bit more about this sort of thing than I do. It might take him a while to respond, but I can try to ask @Lukepeniket_OVO if he knows anything about upgrading a 200A supply.

Userlevel 5

Good evening @SeanS and @Blastoise186, hope your both well tonight! I would say your right SeanS on your larger side you would be looking at keeping the AMR for the foreseeable and if the government currently has no plans I can't see much changing at all.

That being said the energy market in the UK has had an unprecedented year and has taken a bit of a battering so you can never know what can be around the corner!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks Luke! I knew you’d probably know the answer. :)

Userlevel 7

Thanks for the update @Blastoise186 I will reach out to Jess or Tim in respect of participating in a trial as I have a property with a connection that would be compatible with the Aclara S2 polyphase meter. The service cutout there is 3-phase with 100A fuses and uses direct current style metering.

Hi @SeanS and welcome back!

See you’ve already had some great 3 phase smart metering advice from our community volunteer, @Blastoise186 and OVO engineer, @Lukepeniket_OVO

Just to add a little more info on where were at currently - We’re trialing the installation of a 3 phase smart meter on a number of test sites. These test sites are limited to a small area of South East England at the moment, but if you’d like to be considered as a potential 3 phase site send me a PM and we can forward these details on to the team.

We’ll keep you posted on any future changes to this - there’s hope that the trials may be extended early next year.

Hope this info is helpful! :slight_smile:

Userlevel 2

Thanks very much @Jess_OVO - will drop you a PM once I look into the account for the smaller 3-phase supply connection.

Sooo…. 11 months later… Any updates?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @uwantfries ,

Good news. OVO has pretty much completed the Three-Phase Smart Meter trials now and is almost ready to start installing them officially. The forum moderators are keeping a list of forum members who are known to be interested, so they’ll be happy to add you to that list if you’d like them to.

Badge +1

Hey @uwantfries ,

Good news. OVO has pretty much completed the Three-Phase Smart Meter trials now and is almost ready to start installing them officially. The forum moderators are keeping a list of forum members who are known to be interested, so they’ll be happy to add you to that list if you’d like them to.

I have mine now, after months of failed visits. 

It was fitted about a month ago. 

Userlevel 7

@uwantfries yep as blastoise mentioned, we have an update on this and I’ll be editing all related topics (like this one) and reaching out to interested members directly this week or next, depending on how busy it is here.

Thanks for bearing with us, I’ll add you to my list. 

Userlevel 2
20kW Split Phase

“OVO has pretty much completed the Three-Phase Smart Meter trials now and is almost ready to start installing them officially”
Any Smart Meter news for the many new OVO customers (ex SSE) in North East Scotland that have a Split Phase supply for their Turbines ? When SSE insisted that we had a Smart Meter installed it took several phone calls, a technician visit and a video call before they admitted that it couldn’t be done.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @Lukepeniket_OVO , I think this one’s right up your street! :)

Userlevel 5

We are literally, literally soooo close to being able to offer polyphase meters to our customers!! Almost there!!!!!