Solved

Can you supply a three phase smart meter?

Show first post

121 replies

Thank you!

It’s an old house with multiple extensions over the years and electrics added to by various previous owners.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Oh wow! Yeah… You’re gonna want to keep Three-Phase by the looks of things.

I think @M.isterW is one of our Solar experts but forgive me if I tag the wrong user!

Userlevel 1

We also have two three phase smart meters, one with OVO and one with EON. Both suppliers are failing to be able to install a smart meter for us. I am fed up asking now and even more fed up now that the National Grid is offering its demand led scheme allowing customers to be paid to reduce their consumption at peak times - but only if we have a smart meter!!

Userlevel 1

We have two three phase smart meters, one with OVO and one with EON. Both suppliers are failing to be able to install a smart meter for us. I am fed up asking now and even more fed up now that the National Grid is offering its demand led scheme allowing customers to be paid to reduce their consumption at peak times - but only if we have a smart meter!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There aren't many (any!) energy providers who are fitting 3 phase smart meters. Octopus have fitted some but aren't doing any more at the moment.  I don't know why but unless someone can suggest a company that I've missed you're stuck with a dumb meter.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Ecomum ,

OVO is actually starting to install Three-Phase Smart Meters, but only in limited numbers right now on a pilot phase. They’ll be ramping up sooner or later, so keep an eye out for updates.

If you’re eligible, OVO will be in touch.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Only a bunch of dead SoLR’d suppliers. :(

OVO is basically the only one that I’m aware of installing them at all right now.

Userlevel 7

Yes as of August 2022, we're currently in a pilot, and will be contacting pilot-eligible customers (OVO customers on single rate tariffs) over the next few weeks and months. We are working with a select number of trained engineers around the country therefore we unfortunately can't install to just any willing participant (as much as we wish we could). Our advice is to make sure your contact details are up to date in your OVO account so that our teams can reach you.

@Ecomum I’ve made a note of your forum profile. When I hear that 3 phase smart meters can be booked by anyone for anyone, I’ll reach out to everyone on this list to advise. 

Userlevel 7

@Ecomum I’ve replied to your other post about this here:

Badge +1

I have three phase to my home OVO took over the supply from SSE and so far I have had 4 engineers cancel on the instal day for smart metres sickness was reason given today previously it was run out of time on other jobs and sickness  . I keep getting mixed messages from OVO staff first says they can fit 3 phase smart metre the next customer service staff say they can’t and this has repeated itself four times . Im paying over the odds charging my new EV . Can OVO energy include me in the three phase smart metre trial my post code is M32 Manchester the access to my metre is very good making any smart metre fit very easy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @Allan Downes ,

Your wish is my command. I’ve sent a request to @Tim_OVO and @Emmanuelle_OVO to add your name to the list of forum members interested in getting a Three-Phase Smart Meter upgrade. This may take a while, but you’ll get notified once it’s possible.

If you later change your mind and don’t want to be notified, that’s OK too! Simply reply back on this thread (or anywhere else on the forum really) asking to be removed from the list and we’ll take care of it.

Badge +1

Hello OVO, you may start to understand my frustrations when I’m dealing with OVO but hopefully this new forum will provide me some resemblance of confidence back in OVO but the jury is out. see the email I received from the OVO team yesterday 28/12/22 confirming my 5th scheduled install of a three phase smart metre ( engineers cancelled last minute with all the others due to sickness or not enough time) . This email contradicts your information that three phase is only available as a part of a trial. Don’t get me wrong I will be over the moon to get this sorted on the 18/1/23 as is scheduled but I will be furious if they cancel again last minute for whatever reason. I need your help to make

sure this instal for a gas and electric three phase goes ahead as I’ve again be promised it will see email below. 

Hello Allan,

I’m Victoria, a customer care agent here at OVO. As discussed today I can confirm that as you already have a 3-phase traditional meter the smart meter that you are booked in to get installed will also be a 3-phase meter as we will swap meters, so they are like for like.

As a reminder your smart meters will be installed on the 18/12/22 between 8am and 12pm. 

You can reply to this email or always call my team too on 0330 303 5063 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm). 

Thanks,

Victoria

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Actually, this forum isn’t technically OVO. While OVO does pay the bills for it and provides moderation support, it’s actually patrolled mostly by independent forum volunteers such as myself. We don’t work for OVO and can’t access your account.

I’ve already notified the moderators about this however. They might stop by if they get chance.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Allan Downes,

This sounds like a frustrating situation. 

Unfortunately, we don’t have access to customer accounts on the Forum and are unable to make bookings.

Hopefully the re-booked appointment goes ahead as planned on the 18/1/23. 

Do keep us posted!

I’m having similar issues - I had a 3phase meter installation but needed to cancel: now the customer services don’t know anything about this pilot so it’s impossible to rebook

According to customer support yesterday there was a pilot but it has now ended?   I was advised to change supplier if I wanted a 3 phase smart meter(!) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Nope, the pilot is still running as far as I’m aware.

Very few suppliers are doing 3-Phase right now, so you’ll probably be best staying with OVO.

Is there any way to get back on the pilot after I missed the first appointment?  Or just wait: I don’t want to leave OVO whatever Customer Support says!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hmm… There might be hope yet…

Let me ask someone I know...

Thanks, I can PM account details - I had a 3phase smart meter appt booked late November then couldn’t be at home for it and it all vanished… 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I can’t use your details myself I’m afraid as I can’t access internal systems. However, I’ve asked for help and advice backstage to see what we can suggest.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ok, I’ve taken this one backstage and it’s being looked into. The forum moderators are checking some info and they’ll post here when they can.