Solved

Can you supply a three phase smart meter?

• 6 April 2019
  • 3 replies

I have a three phase supply to my house. All phases are in use. One phase for ground source heatpump the other two provide power and light. Can you supply a three phase smart meter?
icon

Best answer by Transparent 7 April 2019, 12:13

Updated 05/06/2020

How very sensible @Eco Geeko !

The UK Electricity Distribution Grid is suffering increased losses due to imbalances between the phases at sub-stations. This isn't helped by almost all our domestic housing stock having only single-phase supplies.

Compare this with Germany where it is expected that all houses should have a 3-phase supply.

Unfortunately the answer to your question isn't within the control of the domestic Energy Suppliers, like OVO.

All Smart Meters being installed in the UK are selected through a process managed by the Data Communications Company (DCC). They own the Smart Meter Network, and they alone can communicate with our Smart Meters using a proprietary encryption system. This is essential to prevent the UK's energy supply system being held to ransom by those with malicious intent.

DCC have, thus far, only commissioned single-phase Smart Meters to be joined to their Network.

I have written more extensively about Smart Meter installation elsewhere on the Forum.

Please post here again if you'd like further information or clarification. And please fill out your Forum Profile so that we can tailor responses more precisely to your circumstances.

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Updated 05/06/2020

How very sensible @Eco Geeko !

The UK Electricity Distribution Grid is suffering increased losses due to imbalances between the phases at sub-stations. This isn't helped by almost all our domestic housing stock having only single-phase supplies.

Compare this with Germany where it is expected that all houses should have a 3-phase supply.

Unfortunately the answer to your question isn't within the control of the domestic Energy Suppliers, like OVO.

All Smart Meters being installed in the UK are selected through a process managed by the Data Communications Company (DCC). They own the Smart Meter Network, and they alone can communicate with our Smart Meters using a proprietary encryption system. This is essential to prevent the UK's energy supply system being held to ransom by those with malicious intent.

DCC have, thus far, only commissioned single-phase Smart Meters to be joined to their Network.

I have written more extensively about Smart Meter installation elsewhere on the Forum.

Please post here again if you'd like further information or clarification. And please fill out your Forum Profile so that we can tailor responses more precisely to your circumstances.

I read the topic and responses with disappointment. OVO cannot fit 3-phase smart meters. The work-around is either downgrading to a single-phase supply or having 3 separate single-phase meters for each of the 3 phases!

In another property my supply is from another provider. I have a single meter (Alster A1140); it is a smart meter, its has economy 7 on at all phases.

Why cannot OVO provide one like this?

Userlevel 7

Tis a good question, @MARGARETMAVIS - have a look at Transparent’s ‘best answer’ at the top. It’s not something we can change directly at the moment. 

To discus supply downgrade options and costs, give us a call: 0330 303 5063