Solved

Can you change a single rate smart meter to economy 7 after it's been fitted?

Show first post

37 replies

Hi 

I am trying to switch from single rate plan to economy 7 as I have an overnight hot water heater that won’t heat up / activate without the night time feed ( I have a 5 port smart meter )

I have been waiting 2 weeks now for the account switch and have therefore been without any hot water - I am register as a vulnerable / priority customer due to disability and need the supply fixed asap

has anyone else made a tariff change and how long did it take?

I called customer support last week and was told there is not time scale set - surely they can’t leave it much longer !

Userlevel 7

Hey @Adamjonuk,

Sorry for the issues youre having,

Do you already have an Economy 7 meter and you just want to apply an Economy 7 Tariff? If so, this will be raised to our billing team, if you are unhappy with waiting you can request for this to be changed to ‘high priority’. 

If you’re single rate I’m afraid we can’t change customers from Single rate to Economy 7.

Hope this helps. 

Yes thank You 

i have a 5 port smart meter that can run E7 - the swap to E7 has been actioned and agreed - i was wondering how long a tariff change and recoding of meter takes  as I don’t want to keep petering customer service - but at same time would like hot water restored. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Adamjonuk,

Sorry to hear you don’t have water,

Based on this, I’d advise contacting Support and explaining the tariff change is urgent. If you don’t get the resolution you need, there is always the option to raise a complaint.

Keep us posted with how you get on. 

Please wat is the cheapest tariff plan?

Need suggestions..

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Please wat is the cheapest tariff plan?

Need suggestions..

That depends on your usage, location and meters unfortunately so you will need to check. You can get a quote or look at tariffs. 
https://switch.ovoenergy.com/

https://plans.ovoenergy.com/

A quick question. I have been a customer for many years and have just had a smart meter fitted a week ago.

When I contact support they say it is impossible for me to move onto an Economy 7 tariff for my electric.

As I have solar panels and a battery storage system in the house I would like to be able to charge the batteries during the night at a cheaper rate. 

So the question is: Is it possible to move onto an Economy 7 tariff or not? And what are the current rates? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Coming soon!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

A quick question. I have been a customer for many years and have just had a smart meter fitted a week ago.

When I contact support they say it is impossible for me to move onto an Economy 7 tariff for my electric.

As I have solar panels and a battery storage system in the house I would like to be able to charge the batteries during the night at a cheaper rate. 

So the question is: Is it possible to move onto an Economy 7 tariff or not? And what are the current rates? 

Hi @chrisvaughan

OVO can't currently offer this due to limitations in their system.

I recommend you ask some other suppliers if they can do that for you. Octopus get the best reviews on Trustpilot and are the only supplier currently recommended by Which. So perhaps start by asking them.

You can find the Octopus rates for all their tariff here

Just enter your post code in the box at the bottom of the screen rather than selecting the quote button. 

https://octopus.energy/tariffs/

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I’m in a similar position @chrisvaughan. Watching with interest as most smart meters have a dual register but OVO’s systems can’t currently make the switch

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I’m in a similar position @chrisvaughan. Watching with interest as most smart meters have a dual register but OVO’s systems can’t currently make the switch

Unfortunate we. Have 

Coming soon!

Unfortunately @Blastoise186 we have heard the same thing from OVO for a long time now. I wouldn't recommend customers hang around currently given past experience, would you? 

I think it is a shame it hasn't been pushed higher up the priority list given the cost of living crisis and the net zero agenda. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Please don’t ping me for literally every comment. It’s not needed and it also bypasses the way notifications are held back until I check a thread, causing more noise on my emails (for which I already get a LOT of them!). If I’ve recently posted in a thread, I’m probably also actively watching it via the feeds, so mentioning me doesn’t add any value as I’d see the activity anyway via the buzzcapture RSS Feed that I send to Discord.

I have full alerts enabled for the entire forum regardless and I’m also ruthless with monitoring the feeds. Mentions are the thing I rely on for when people actually need my attention. I’ll get to you anyway, there’s no need to force it.