Solved

Can OVO fit me smart meters that British Gas couldn't? And can I then use Charge Anytime?

• 4 January 2024
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

Good morningĀ 

Im new here and looking at changing my supplier from British Gas who have been shocking.

On 3 different occasions they have been out to fit a smart meter at our bungalow and on all 3 occasions they have not been able to do this because the engineer has not got the meter required because our gas and electricity meter are more than 5 meters apart. I would say they are a maximum of 10 meters away with no major thick walls in the way.

They have now on the 4th occasion cancelled our appointment before even getting to us saying they have a shortage of engineers then saying no smart meter available.

we are wanting to upgrade our aging current car to a EV but with the mileage we do require to be a EV tariff to make it worth while . Is this something that OVO can do if we switch suppliers as OVO has been recommended.

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 4 January 2024, 11:11

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 19/01/24 by Abby_OVO

Ā 

HowdyĀ @DazkimĀ !

Iā€™m a forum volunteer here.

Sure thing, OVO should be able to do that, but I want to do a quick sanity check first. What EV and EV Charger are you planning on? If you want the best experience with OVOā€™s Charge Anytime, youā€™ll want an Ohme or Indra charger, but many EVs are also compatible and I can check for you if you let me know what youā€™re planning on.

Ā 

I am planning on buying a Tesla model 3 and have had a quote on fitting a ohme ev charger.

Ā 

Nice! In that case, youā€™ll definitely want to link Charge Anytime up to the charger rather than the Tesla. Thatā€™ll give you the best experience, permit charging basically any EV you want and also allow the Tesla to properly deep sleep even when not charging.

Ā 

If you want to go ahead, https://switch.ovoenergy.comĀ to get a quote. Charge Anytime is a freeĀ Add-On you can activate once youā€™re on supply and have the EV, so it wonā€™t show up on the quote.

Just a noteĀ @DazkimĀ that it would be a few weeks after your switch and smart meter install that you might be able to use charge anytime. Standard timing to get everything connected but thought that you might want to be aware.Ā 
Ā 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/charge-anytime

Ā 

Ā 

Userlevel 1

HowdyĀ @DazkimĀ !

Iā€™m a forum volunteer here.

Sure thing, OVO should be able to do that, but I want to do a quick sanity check first. What EV and EV Charger are you planning on? If you want the best experience with OVOā€™s Charge Anytime, youā€™ll want an Ohme or Indra charger, but many EVs are also compatible and I can check for you if you let me know what youā€™re planning on.

Thanks for the quick reply I am planning on buying a Tesla model 3 and have had a quote on fitting a ohme ev charger.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Nice! In that case, youā€™ll definitely want to link Charge Anytime up to the charger rather than the Tesla. Thatā€™ll give you the best experience, permit charging basically any EV you want and also allow the Tesla to properly deep sleep even when not charging, which will reduce battery consumption, assuming you donā€™t use Sentry Mode at home.

The current rates are 7p/kWh for all Smart Charging provided you schedule it via the charger. Boost/Urgent Charging is done at your standard unit rate - but there is no other penalty beyond that.

If you want to go ahead, https://switch.ovoenergy.comĀ to get a quote. Charge Anytime is a freeĀ Add-On you can activate once youā€™re on supply and have the EV, so it wonā€™t show up on the quote.

Userlevel 1

Before switching I would need to confirm that the smart meter can be fitted which British Gas seem not to be a to do and really donā€™t care to help

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

OVO doesnā€™t use the same engineers as British Gas, so that shouldnā€™t a problem. BG seem to be pretty incapable these days for some reason, which no-one else has that issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Just a note @DazkimĀ that it would be a few weeks after your switch and smart meter install that you might be able to use charge anytime. Standard timing to get everything connected but thought that you might want to be aware.Ā 
Ā 

Userlevel 1

Just a noteĀ @DazkimĀ that it would be a few weeks after your switch and smart meter install that you might be able to use charge anytime. Standard timing to get everything connected but thought that you might want to be aware.Ā 
Ā 

Thanks for the reply yes this wouldnā€™t be a problem as the car and charger are not bought yet Iā€™m would buy the car once all the switching over and smart meter fittedĀ 

Userlevel 7

Keep us posted @Dazkim, weā€™d love to hear about you EV journey!Ā 

Userlevel 1

I spoke with ovo yesterday and they said they can only fit a single band meter with a range of up to 5 meters which obviously is no good for us but they did mention just fitting a single fuel meter for the time beingĀ