Solved

Can only get a smart meter if my set up has 8 off peak hours

• 10 April 2023
  • 2 replies

After getting a generic “ineligible for smart meter” message online, I messaged to ask why I was ineligible and I was told that I could get a smart meter installed but only if I lose one hour of off peak rate.

When I queried further I was told that OVO only have “ECO 7” smart meters available which are 7 hours overnight off peak.  My plan has 8 hours off peak (just a domestic rolling variable plan).

Has anyone else experienced this?  Does this sound right?   

I didn’t progress any further because I didn’t want to commit to worse terms just for the sake of a smart meter.  It felt a bit like they were saying yes you can have a smart meter, but it’s going to cost you. 

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 11 April 2023, 15:56

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hiya!

This thread has been flagged to the forum moderators because I think they might be able to find more information than I can.

Bear with us and we’ll respond soon!

Userlevel 7

Hi @doug and thanks for flagging this one. 

It’s a good question but a bit of a complicated answer. For the most part, OVO offer two rate economy 7 plans alongside our single rate plans. If a customer switches to us from a supplier and had an economy 8 / 10 etc, and they didn’t have a smart meter, they would stay on that tariff until they had a smart meter fitted, then they would be moved to economy 7. If they had a smart meter before, they get moved to economy 7 from their switching date. It’s important to point out here that the tariff is the same off peak and peak. What changes is how long that off peak lasts for. So it’s a meter setting not a tariff setting. 

There is work happening within OVO to support other tariffs with other off peak hours than the 7. It depends on the set up. Likewise it depends on whether your smart meter is polyphase or not, as these supplies need a different type of smart meter.

As a result of these variables, our advice is to speak to our Support team for the latest custom advice for your supply.