Solved

Can I get my meter upgraded to SMETS2- I'd like to change to Economy 7?

• 6 December 2022
  • 6 replies

Hi There,

As you can imagine i am looking to reduce my Elec bill and i have calculated 40% of my elec bill is due to charging my PHEV car at night, so i am keen to get on the Economy 7 Tariff and take advantage of the discount rate timings.
I previously have managed to speak to Ovo customer service and was told this is not possible due to having a SMETS 1 smart meter which cannot do a dual tariff required for Eco 7 tariff. I asked if i can get the meter changed but was told this is not available at this time, even if i was willing to pay for the change...

After doing a bit of digging on here and online to see if there is anything else i can do, i believe i have a SMETS 2 (Landis & Gyr E 470) meter but linked to a Trilliant SEAP-2001-V comms hub which is limiting the capabilities of the smart meter. I believe this is true after reading this.

My Current Set up below.

My Smart Meter Set up?

Is it possible to change the Comms hub alone and not the meter to allow me to get on the ECO 7 Tariff? Is this possible to do with OVO?

Apprieciate the picture shows there is no space for the top mounted comms hub, but there is potential to move things around to make space.

Sorry if this is a repeat question but I would struggle to explain this over the phone so thought it would be best to ask here, as i have seen some really positive discussion and positive outcomes on other messages here!

Many thanks in advance.

Jimbo

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 7 December 2022, 23:41

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @jimbojones !

I’m afraid you’ve been caught by the Frankenstein Trap. That is indeed a SMETS1 L+G E470. It’s impossible to make it S2 by swapping the Comms Hub. It’s also installed by British Gas so it’s probably running on the pesky Centrica WAN too. Good luck with that! :)

Ah right, thanks for clarifying this.

Any idea if there is anyway to get this updated to a SMETS 2 set up other than wait for Ovo to do this? (if they ever will).

It would be hugely benefical for me to do so even if i had to pay for the change?

Cheers

James

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You’re in luck actually.

Everything I’m about to tell you is 100% true and can be verified by the forum moderators.

I am of course, one of the forum volunteers here and I don’t work for OVO myself. You’ve probably already figured that out, but I kinda have to mention it a lot for other people.

It is also true that I was actually at OVO’s Bristol HQ today (or, well maybe yesterday since you probably won’t read this at 11pm at night!) and I managed to have an AMAZING chat with one of OVO’s internal smart meter experts. He’s told me what I believed to be the case is definitely correct.

Your meter is going to be put up for adoption by DCC sooner or later to attempt to make it work with OVO. If successful, it’ll work with OVO and you’ll be able to do Economy 7 once OVO’s billing platform is capable of switching you between Single-Rate and Economy 7 (coming soon!). It’s planned to be completed by the end of this year, but I’d allow until February 2023 just to be safe. It will then run like a SMETS2, in what I often call SMETS1+.

If the enrolment and adoption completely fails, your meter will be eligible for replacement with a full-fat SMETS2 setup.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 4

@Blastoise186 Good grief sir, do you ever sleep? When you look at all this SMETS1, SMETS2, SMETS1+, and meters that may or not maybe possibly be able to work on the systems doesn't it make you think that someone somewhere really should have thought the whole thing out better before taking it live? Even if it meant a 12 months delay in the rollout of smart meters originally? Admittedly I then think to myself "Logic. Energy Companies. Government. Not 3 things often used together in a positive way"

Good bit of digging and interesting info there.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hehehe, SMETS2 solves almost all the flaws that SMETS1 had. It’s ultimately what I feel it should have been in the first place, but better late than never.

Some of the information I learned today unfortunately cannot be shared publicly without permission from OVO, but there’s also stuff I can definitely share such as the fact OVO’s teams are working flat out (and in collaboration with DCC!) to get the migration completed.

It also kinda helps when I get to finally chat face to face with someone who completely understands absolutely everything even if it completely goes over Tim’s head. We’re able to call on experts such as that one if we get badly stumped or just need advice from someone internal, so it was great to actually meet one in person!

And yes, I do go to bed every night! Just that exactly when I go to bed sort of depends on what’s happening on the forum.

Apologies i have been away for a few days!

Wow thanks for the insight! Really apprieciated. Your truely are a SMETS Guru!

I will wait with my fingers crossed with excitement!

Thanks for your help!

JimboJones