Solved

How will SMETS1 meters be updated when SMETS2 is rolled out?

Show first post

31 replies

I understood from this smartdcc link from this post that (some?) Secure SMETS1 meters may be upgraded from September 2019 onwards (i.e. now).
Is there a way to find out whether a meter has already been upgraded?
If not, is there a way to find out when it will happen?
Userlevel 5
I've moved your query here, @m01, we haven't started the upgrades yet and there isn't a date for this to be done just yet.

We'll post new information as and when we get it on the forum, and I'm sure the team will also be in touch too! :)

As far as I'm aware all SMETS1 meters will have the same functionality as a SMETS2 meter once they've been upgraded.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Thanks for the interesting questions, @m01.

I think you're encroaching onto ground that is still Company-confidential as regards devices that hang off the HAN. But I'll tag @BenS_OVO just to make he reads your last two posts here!

The first document you referred to is dated 2013, marked "Draft" and for consideration by the EU. A lot of water has gone under the bridge since then!

I believe the HAN specification has been extended to being dual frequency, having 868MHz added to the 2.4GHz band. Bizarrely, this doesn't seem to have found its way into the SMETS2 specification for gas meters.

As most Forum members are genuinely interested in this subject, but not necessarily au fait with the terminology, perhaps you could help by posting here a less technical definition of Type-1 and Type-2 Devices?

Many thanks.
Userlevel 2
Hey @m01

Having a quick word with someone in the Adoption and Enrolment team, they have informed me that they are indeed looking to start switching a selection of S1 customers onto the DCC systems quite soon (this will be exclusive to PayM customers). Initially this won't be huge numbers and we will not be informing these individuals straight away as their experience will not change in anyway (this is due to it being a test of the systems). The theory is they don't want to inform and potentially confuse customers as they will see no change.
Once the customer benefits start to be developed, like better more accurate consumption data, better security, then we will start to inform those that have been integrated.

Really good question regarding consumer access devices. We are currently pairing these CAD's at customers properties so we can have a good infrastructure in place for our S2 customers. These CAD devises are part of the IHD which are specifically mean to be paired with S2 comms hubs.
Now OVO did do some testing for S1 CAD devises a few years back and it never got off the ground, so there is defiantly scope for us to have these for our S1 customers going forward.
I guess a lot will depend of now our S2 customers take to the new devices and the benefits they offer. Personally I would like to see it and I'll be pushing for it.

Cheers,
B.
Userlevel 2
Oh and just so I'm clear regarding CAD's; we are just in the process of pairing the CAD IHD's to customers WiFi currently. We have yet to turn on the reads portion of this tech, that comes soon.
Thank you all for your replies.
As most Forum members are genuinely interested in this subject, but not necessarily au fait with the terminology, perhaps you could help by posting here a less technical definition of Type-1 and Type-2 Devices?

Sure.. In the SMETS1 I saw the term "Consumer Device" to be used.

From the linked SMETS 2 I understood that Type-2 devices were the "Consumer Access Devices", i.e. ones that provide consumers access to the data. Type 1 devices can interact with the smart meter but don't necessarily provide the consumer with information. I'm not sure what Type 1 devices equate to in SMETS1.

My interest here is largely in one or more USB-stick like device(s) that would let me receive the same data as the in home display, just in digital format (and without needing to go via the cloud). I think this falls under the Type 2 or Consumer Access Device (CAD) section.

If an upgraded SMETS1 smart meter only supported 1 Type-2 device/Consumer Access Device rather than the SMETS2-specified 4, and the In-Home Display cannot be replaced with a device like the one I described, then that would be a bummer and I'd be stuck, potentially for many years. Consumers don't own the meters, and even if I'd be happy to pay for an upgrade I'm not sure if the processes exist to allow for that to happen.

I think you're encroaching onto ground that is still Company-confidential as regards devices that hang off the HAN

I didn't mean to ask about company-confidential information.

The first document you referred to is dated 2013, marked "Draft" and for consideration by the EU. A lot of water has gone under the bridge since then!

You're right - I think this might be a better document:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/299395/smets.pdf - but I'm not sure if v1.1 is the latest SMETS1 either. Sadly it's not easy to find the latest version of these specifications, although I assumed they were intended to be publicly available.

I believe the HAN

specification has been extended to being dual frequency, having 868MHz added to the 2.4GHz band. Bizarrely, this doesn't seem to have found its way into the SMETS2

specification for gas meters.

Indeed, so it's not clear to me how this for example can be supported by a software upgrade to an existing SMETS1-compliant meter... (but it may also not always be required)

@BenS_OVO Thank you for your replies, that's useful information. Additionally to the Home Area Network (HAN) stuff, I would've thought that there are some customer benefits in being part of the DCC network. In theory switching energy suppliers should mean you keep the smartness of the meter, you know where your data is going, and you're no longer in a situation where your meter may send data to a party that you're no longer in contract with (I'm not sure what happens in practice here, it probably depends on the energy supplier). I appreciate these may not be the most mainstream interests. I guess there may be ways to get other services via the DCC network, too, but I'm not sure how developed this area is yet.

If you've not already guessed, I'm often an early adopter. 😀