Power Move Autumn Challenge

• 29 September 2023
  • 95 replies
Power Move Autumn Challenge

Show first post

95 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge

@Abby_OVO I signed up for the autumn challenge as soon as it was offered, and had confirmation by email on 2 October. Today, however, I had an email inviting me again to join this challenge. 

• Was this a mistake that I can ignore?
  • Has my earlier participation been terminated and I need to reapply?
  • Will it create problems if I Join autumn challenge again?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi I was wondering whether your green “Autumn Power Move” box in the clean energy page of your OVO account still shows you as having “joined”?

Userlevel 6

Hi @Firedog 

Hmm, it sounds like it’s maybe just a delayed email perhaps? 

Like waltyboy mentioned, can you see that you’ve joined Power Move on your online account? You should be able to view it on the account if the sign up worked originally. Let me know if you can still see it on the online account, and if not we can check the best move for getting back on without interuption.

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi @Abby_OVO I was wondering whether your green “Autumn Power Move” box in the clean energy page of your OVO account still shows you as having “joined”?

@waltyboy Thanks 🙏🏻. Yes, if I put my reading glasses on I can see a little pink box with the word Joined in it. And as a bonus, there’s a button clearly labelled Leave autumn challenge  to the right of the green box, so thanks for the pointer to the page Power Move - OVO Energy 

I’m going to assume that this email was a mistake that I can ignore. @Abby_OVO might want though to alert whoever’s responsible for sending it out that they’re spreading unnecessary alarm and despondency ...

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Firedog, fingers crossed!

I'm still unable to join the challenge and have done all the steps previously suggested by other users so wonder whether it is just a no go for me. To be honest between the hours of 4pm and 7pm I use no more than 0.1kWh anyway, do trying to reduce my usage from that is near impossible, unless it's just calculated as a comparison then I may be in with a chance… if I can join that is.

Userlevel 6

Hey @Eco_crafty_Bear 

Sorry to hear you’ve been having trouble signing up.

Have you tried on the app, and on the webpage? I know some have had issues with Firefox, which commonly blocks some parts of certain webpages, so if you’ve used Firefox, maybe give Google or another web browser a go? 

It may also be worth clearing you cache and cookies from the browser too. 

Let me know how you get on trying through this link via the Power Move homepage,  you'll find Power Move in the Path to Zero section: https://www.ovoenergy.com/power-move

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Eco_crafty_Bear As Abby says, do try again using her tips to try once more: your low usage 4-7 would not be a barrier, quite the reverse!

As you correctly intimate, the Poser Move challenge is precisely based on the percentage comparison of your weekday 4-7 usage compared with your total overall weekday usage. At month end, all the 4-7 weekday usage is added up and calculated as a percentage of that month’s total weekday usage. With your average 4-7 usage of 0.1kWh it looks like you would be very well placed indeed to hit the 13.5% (or below 13.5%, of course!) target.

All the best…

Userlevel 7
Badge

… between the hours of 4pm and 7pm I use no more than 0.1kWh anyway, do trying to reduce my usage from that is near impossible, ...

This is a common misunderstanding. The challenge is not necessarily to reduce your usage in the target period. It is simply to ensure that usage in that period on weekdays doesn’t exceed 13.5% of your total usage on weekdays. So long as your daily usage averages more than 0.75 kWh, you should be home and dry with your 0.1 kWh (100 x 0.1 / 0.75 = 13.3%). 

Most customers would have difficulty keeping their daily consumption that low - 0.1 kWh is about what you might use to boil enough water (1 l) for just one pot of tea.

Have you tried on the app, and on the webpage? I know some have had issues with Firefox, which commonly blocks some parts of certain webpages, so if you’ve used Firefox, maybe give Google or another web browser a go? 

It may also be worth clearing you cache and cookies from the browser too. 

Thank you for the advice, I do use a fork of Firefox as my browser so downloaded Brave browser an dropped all of it’s shields and it let me join up. So on with the saving (I’ve just worked out how to automate my home security to come on when I leave the property so that should save 0.08kWh per day, whoop whoop!)

… between the hours of 4pm and 7pm I use no more than 0.1kWh anyway, do trying to reduce my usage from that is near impossible, ...

This is a common misunderstanding. The challenge is not necessarily to reduce your usage in the target period. It is simply to ensure that usage in that period on weekdays doesn’t exceed 13.5% of your total usage on weekdays. So long as your daily usage averages more than 0.75 kWh, you should be home and dry with your 0.1 kWh (100 x 0.1 / 0.75 = 13.3%). 

Most customers would have difficulty keeping their daily consumption that low - 0.1 kWh is about what you might use to boil enough water (1 l) for just one pot of tea.

Thank you. Looking at my usage more closely I average about 2.5kWh per day, but most of that is in the early hours of the morning. During the day my hourly use is around 0.1kWh (I’ve taken energy saving to a whole new level) so as both you and Waltyboy point out I should be home and dry. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Eco_crafty_Bear,

So glad to hear you’ve managed to sign up!

Keep us posted would love to hear back about how you get on 😀

With Power Move we challenge you to use 13.50% or less of your electricity during peak hours, by moving your non-essential electricity to a different time of day. Your reward? Up to £15 per month energy bill credit.

Is that 13.50% or 12.50%? I’ve just received an email saying that I’m not on track to hit target yet, because my average consumption of 12.71% is bigger than my target of 13.5%.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Strangely, I’ve also had the same - 13.34% which is lower than 13..5% but apparently the system thinks otherwise. :)

Userlevel 7

Hey @addiki and @Blastoise186,

There was an error with the mid way Power Move update emails. Some had the wrong target % or the correct %, but still claimed they weren't meeting target, if they were between 12.5 & 13.5. I wonder if you’ve both been affected by this issue?

Well, clearly @Emmanuelle_OVO, I have been affected by this issue. The question is, how and when will it be fixed?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Well, clearly @Emmanuelle_OVO, I have been affected by this issue. The question is, how and when will it be fixed?

You should hopefully get an email this week

I've just read an article in one of the papers that says if we're signed up to power move we can claim 2 free smart plugs to remotely control turning things on snd off. Does anyone know if this is correct? And if so how to claim please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Bevmannion ,

Firstly, I noticed there’s a spam comment in this thread, don’t worry as it’s not yours. I’ll be arranging for the pesky spammer to be banned from the Forum shortly and their junk consigned to the bin.

As for your question, you are indeed correct. The first 20k to sign up will automatically receive the smart plugs mentioned. You don’t need to claim manually - just sign up for OVO Power Move and if you’re in the first 20k, they’ll be automatically posted to your registered address.

Hi @Bevmannion ,

Firstly, I noticed there’s a spam comment in this thread, don’t worry as it’s not yours. I’ll be arranging for the pesky spammer to be banned from the Forum shortly and their junk consigned to the bin.

As for your question, you are indeed correct. The first 20k to sign up will automatically receive the smart plugs mentioned. You don’t need to claim manually - just sign up for OVO Power Move and if you’re in the first 20k, they’ll be automatically posted to your registered address.

Thanks for the reply! As I was signed up automatically as a previous power move player I didn't need to sign up to it? How do you find out if you were successful in getting them (is there a date when they would have been with the customer by?) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’m not sure if you’ll get one if you did Power Move previously. However, if you did get lucky, you’ll get an email letting you know.

Userlevel 7

I got the two plugs last week. (I had had an email that they were on their way).
I hadn’t previously been on Power Move and was a new starter for the Autumn challenge, from the offer terms it’s only the first 20K new starters who qualify for the free plugs.

TBH though, and although it’s always nice to get a freebie, I doubt that I’ll ever use them myself.
OK possibly just as a timer plug - if I ever get an appliance that I want to control the timing of from the plug.
But when would I ever want to switch a plug on/off remotely via the internet when out of the house? I can’t think of a single time when I might want to do that.

They may have some use if you link Alexa to them so that you can turn things on and off by shouting at her, (‘Lexa put the kettle on?), but is it just me or is that simply being lazy for most people who can just get up an flick a switch?

Mine will probably end up in the charity shop or on Freecycle.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I got them in the post a couple of weeks ago as well. I probably won’t use them for their intended purpose either if I’m brutally honest. The only kind of system I’d be prepared to trust for this would be one that runs locally on a self-hosted basis like UniFi Connect.

However… I already have a potential use case for them - I can use them during my talks with the fire service when discussing electrical safety. They’ll never be powered up at all, so it’d be completely safe.

Userlevel 7

Well I did think of one possible use that might help with Power Move:

Use them as a timer to ‘lock out’ a plug so that it’s always off between 4 and 7.

For instance a kitchen plug so that you don’t forget and put a kettle/microwave/air fryer/washing machine/etc. on during the Power Move peak hours without thinking about it first.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You could also use them to power up appliances out of peak ..