Solved

Will the Charge Anytime EV add on work with Podpoint or will I need to change the EV charger?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Ive just gone onto the OVO drive tariff and want the Anytime Plan But I already have a Pod Point charger at home. Will the Anytime work with Podpoint or will I need to change the charger? I have a SMET2 smart meter.  

icon

Best answer by nealmurphy 23 June 2022, 17:45

View original

72 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Updated on 13/12/23 by Abby_OVO

Hi @Chris78 

Short answer is that the Podpoint charger won't be compatible with Anytime. You'll need either an Indra or Ohme charger as detailed in the FAQs on this page.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/anytime#anytime-faq-smart-charger

Earlier this year we re-launched Anytime as ‘Charge Anytime’. It’s not only a new name, but we’ve also made some updates to the product and we want to tell you all about it…

You must have an eligible EV or Smart Charger, we’re constantly looking into ways to add more eligibility for Charge Anytime, so if your technology isn’t currently on the list keep an eye on our page for updates!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Ahh well not much point then. £1k for a charger will take me over 2 years at the 5p rate to save that amount. Wonder if there a technical reason or its just a partnership with OVO and the charger manufacturer. 🤔 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Actually, OVO’s Direct To Vehicle option might still save you yet!

Depending on your EV, OVO is working on a way to get the data they need for Drive + Anytime directly from the EV no matter what charger you use. Hang in there for a bit and keep an eye out for updates.

The biggest reason only certain chargers are compatible right now - from my understanding - is more down to technical reasons in that only certain chargers are compatible at all. If the charger has no kind of API or anything similar, smart charging is impossible to do at that level.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thanks hope so. Can't believe its hardware as my podpoint transmit how much I charge to an app on my phone so it must just be software issues 

Userlevel 1
Badge

My contract runs out at the end of February. As much as I've been very impressed with Ovo, I'll certainly be going elsewhere if Podpoint isn't going to be accommodated. The tariff is great but for many of us we don't have a choice of charger when we get a new car due to the supplier agreements. In my case Audi and PodPoint

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

My contract runs out at the end of February. As much as I've been very impressed with Ovo, I'll certainly be going elsewhere if Podpoint isn't going to be accommodated. The tariff is great but for many of us we don't have a choice of charger when we get a new car due to the supplier agreements. In my case Audi and PodPoint

Direct-To-Vehicle is an option instead. As long as your vehicle is supported, you can use any charger and get the Anytime rates for it.

Anytime Compatible Chargers just make it a bit easier in that you can hook up whatever EV you want that’s compatible with the charger and it’ll just work.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Typical. Mines the Q4 Sportback which doesn't seem to be covered. The Q3 and Q5 are 😂

Thanks for the reply though -  much appreciated and I'll keep a lookout.

Im doing circa 25,000 miles a year at an average of 3.6 miles per kW and currently getting 8p from the govt per mile. So, by my calculations, so long as I'm paying under 28.8p per kW I'm not losing out. Of course, I'd like to be benefitting from the 10p per kW cost 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

And now for my next trick… Magically adding the Audi Q4 Sportback to the list! XD

I wish I could do that lol. But I do have an actual magic trick I can actually pull off. Let me ask @Emmanuelle_OVO about the Q4 once she’s back in the office.

Userlevel 1
Badge

That's amazing. Thankyou for your help. Spend hours reading this forum every week and it's help like that that makes it worthwhile 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Haha, better than pulling a rabbit out of a hat eh? :P

You’re welcome. I have to admit that getting an answer might take a while because pretty much all of OVO is still closed for a few more days. As long as you’re cool with hanging on for another week or two, I think I can probably get the information you’re after.

Trust me, some of us forum volunteers spend well over 50 hours a week on here. :)

Userlevel 1
Badge

More than happy to wait for an answer. Thankyou

Userlevel 7

Hey @Whipster2210,

Hope you had a great Christmas! I’ve asked the question… although I’m not sure anyone from the team is in until after the New Year. 

I’ll keep you posted with any responses I get 😊

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thankyou Emmanuelle_OVO 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thankyou Emmanuelle_OVO 

Thanks to @Emmanuelle_OVO ive now been added to the pre launch Charge Anytime which means a 10p per kWh cost for my EV charging. Brilliant.

The only downside is that the Charge Anytime Android App won’t connect to my car or my Audi App. It linked once and has recognised that it’s a Q4 and it but it constantly says “Car unplugged”. 
my Audi App is working and shows when the car is charging. 

Does anyone have any idea what I may be doing wrong?
Suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Userlevel 7

I’ve flagged this to the team, @Whipster2210 - someone will be reaching out to you with an update. 

For anyone else needing OVO to help, email us at smarthome@ovoenergy.com, or give us a call on 0330 102 7423, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm (excluding bank holidays).

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

last year OVO published a list of compatible cars no mater what charger you had. Anyone know if that list has expanded at all??

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’m not aware of updates to it.

Userlevel 1
Badge

last year OVO published a list of compatible cars no mater what charger you had. Anyone know if that list has expanded at all??

I think it must have as i didn’t see my Q4 on the list, but been told i’m good to go. Just waiting for the guys at Audi to make me a key user for the connect system which appeared to be the issue with my app. 

Support from Tim & Emmanuelle has been superb on here and in PM’s, so thankyou.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Yeah the Q4 wasn't on the list I've seen. Fingers crossed they will publish the new list 

Userlevel 7

I’ll ask that question now, @Chris78 - hang fire :) 

Userlevel 7

Here’s the list of compatible cars and EVs, @Chris78 @Whipster2210:

https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/charge-anytime-cars-and-chargers

Thoughts?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

its great its a growing list but unfortunately models only not Manufactures so It still doesn't help me as I have a Mercedes 

Are there any plans to add the Kia EV6 to the list of compatible cars for the direct to vehicle service?

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Whipster2210 did you get it working with your Q4 in the end? I’m in exactly the same postition as you although still waiting for my Q4 to be delivered and have a Cupra Born due in March, but have a PodPoint already installed.

Userlevel 1
Badge

In a word, no. My Charge Anytime app is now linking with my my Audi app and reading the detail correctly such as the remaining battery and mileage. 

But, it doesn't seem to be able to locate my car even though the my Audi app knows exactly where it is. 

Im off to the Audi dealer tomorrow to see if I'm missing something. If not, then I'll be back in touch with Ovos team to try and fix the issue.