Solved

Which OVO EV plans can I access with an Easee EV charger?

• 26 February 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge

Hi, I get delivery of an EV in March and got my EV charger installed (Easee One) last week. I’m like most members are on a Standard variable rate.

I see that the OVO EV package requires a specific charger which I didn’t realise. The question is  can can I switch to an EV tariff using my Easee One and would it be cost efficient or should I stick to the standard variable? I do around 700-1000 miles a month, mostly local so will charge every so often but want to charge at the cheapest possible rate and don’t mind charging off-peak.

icon

Best answer by nealmurphy 26 February 2022, 17:39

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Updated on 12/12/23 by Abby_OVO

Hi @palad 

Fellow EV driver here.

So, 1000 miles a month is probably around 50 miles max per day? With a 32amp charger you'd be looking at 2 or 3 hours of charging for that range.

One option you may want to look at if you generally don't use much electricity during the day is possibly an Economy 7 tariff in order to get a slightly cheaper rate off-peak. Other than that, unless you want to swap your charge to make use of the 5p/kWh charging rate with Drive+Anytime, then youd be looking at off-peak EV tariffs with other suppliers.

What EV is it?

We’ve relaunched or charging tariff as ‘Charge Anytime’. It’s not only a new name, we’ve made some updates to the product, you can find out all about these here.

Badge

Hi @nealmurphy, thanks for your response and info..The EV is a Tesla.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

In that case, I’d say Economy 7 would be your best bet for home charging overnight if you want to keep the current charger. I know of a couple of suppliers that do more EV specific cheap charging, but the cheap hours with them might not be enough to charge a Tesla reliably without dipping into the higher rates. Seven cheap hours overnight though should be plenty.

As it’s a Tesla, you’ve always got the Tesla Superchargers and Tesla Destination Chargers at your disposal if you need them. So that’d be your best bet for rapid daytime charging as long as one’s nearby.

If you’re willing to change out the charger though (you could still keep the current one too!), you could get the ultra cheap charging rates via OVO Drive + Anytime which would slowly pay itself off, especially with a Tesla.

Badge

Thanks everyone and and Economy 7 seems like the best option for me now. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks everyone and and Economy 7 seems like the best option for me now. 

One other thing. I'm not sure if you said if you already had an up-to-date smart meter. This will most likely be needed for any EV tariff with two or more rates. If you let us know what the make and model is we can advise. Happy to provide more help with this, sent you a message to assist with it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries. It’s possible that your existing charger may eventually become compatible with OVO Drive + Anytime and if it does, you’ll be more than welcome to switch to the tariff and activate the add-on. OVO Drive by itself doesn’t offer the ultra-cheap charging rates but doesn’t require a smart meter either.

If you do have one, we’d be more than happy to identify what you’ve got of course. I’ll let neal take the lead on that this time, as I’d like to give him a chance to shine. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I’ll let neal take the lead on that this time, as I’d like to give him a chance to shine. :)

* Please be an obvious, easy to identify meter! *