Solved

What is the best EV charger for OVO Anytime?

Badge

Good morning, be gentle first post here and looking for some advice…. i am an OVO Customer of many years. 

i have an EV car on order and its arriving 1st week of March 2023 looking to fit a home charger. ive been reading up about chargers and seen there is lots of talk about Zappi 2 chargers seem to be the best one in the market currently.  

can the forum give advice on the chargers OVO do and can i use a Zappi 2 with the OVO Anytime and Anytime + rates please ? 

any help on this would be appreciated 

thanks 

icon

Best answer by M.isterW 23 January 2023, 12:31

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Updated on 18/12/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO:

Here’s the latest on our new electric vehicle charging type-of-use plan:

See our Charge Anytime product page here

Our website has all the info on OVO Anytime, including the chargers that are supported.

Badge

thanks, i’ve seen that, shows very few chargers that we can choose, any way around this ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

There is indeed. What EV and Charger do you have or are planning on? We can check compatibility of that for you as to whether Direct To Vehicle might work.

Badge

There is indeed. What EV and Charger do you have or are planning on? We can check compatibility of that for you as to whether Direct To Vehicle might work.

hey thanks for the kind response…. 

its a company car…. rather lucky, i am getting a Taycan 4s with Upgraded Battery and upgraded charger on the car (150kW on-board DC-DC converter) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

BLEEP BLOOP! This message was posted by SkyNet Blastoise Bot on behalf of Blastoise186

Verification complete! Your Porsche Taycan has been verified as: Compatible via D2V

This means Kaluza will get the data needed directly from your Porche Taycan regardless of the charger you use. You will need to allow Kaluza to access data from the vehicle in order to make this work.

Badge

BLEEP BLOOP! This message was posted by SkyNet Blastoise Bot on behalf of Blastoise186

Verification complete! Your Porche Taycan has been verified as: Compatible via D2V

right so the car is good to go for Ovo Drive and Anytime D2V which is good news…. now, can i use my choice of charger ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yup, my bot thinks your EV should work based on the data it holds so even with a Zappi charger you should be fine as long as you set the car up properly.

You only need either the EV or Charger to be compatible in order to qualify. However:

If you’re doing it via the EV (best option in your case!), then only that EV will earn the credits. If you plug in anything else, you’ll be charged full rates.

If you’re doing it via the Charger, you can plug in ANY EV that works with that charger, but it has to be that charger. If you use another one, you won’t get the credits.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

That's a link to the full list of cars. if your cars on that list you can use any charger on the market. 

For me I would still pick one of the 2 chargers on OVO’s list then if you change cars for any reason you can still get the cheep Electric 

Charge Anytime EVs and Smart Chargers | OVO Energy

Badge

loving the responses, thank you so much for the help on this….. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries.

Obviously, it’s totally up to you as to how you want to go ahead with this. For pretty obvious reasons, if it were me I’d keep the Taycan if it wasn’t for the fact I’ve never applied for a driving license.

As for the charger? If you’ve not ordered one yet, I’d consider going for the Indra Smart Charger or Ohme models that are compatible with +Anytime, especially if you might want to charge other EV’s. That way, you can chop and change the EV whenever you want and still get the cheaper rates. It’d also mean that the EV can go properly into deep sleep even while smart charging.

This is kinda important, because Tesla EV’s (for example) will remain awake if there’s ANY web activity AT ALL and this includes something polling it to find out whether it’s charging or not. And this can result in faster battery drain than if the EV is allowed to go into deep sleep when parked up, since that allows for a pretty much full shut down and sips the battery.

If you want maximum compatibility as well, go for an untethered charger, since it won’t matter what connector your EV uses - they’ll all work fine with untethered chargers.

If you KNOW you’re going to commit to a specific connector type forever and want a little more convenience, go for a tethered charger. This will restrict your choice of EV to ones that work with the connector type, but always guarantees that the cable is available at all times.

Buying a Citroen ec4 soon and need a home charger for it. Looking at the Ohme Home Pro or Indra but not sure which is best. I like the looks of the Indra, and the fact it has wifi connection, but reviews suggest the app and connectivity is difficult. The Ohme seems to have good reviews but I'm put off by it needing 4G to connect and after 3 years paying for the sim....I can't see any info on how much this will cost eventually. Anybody have experience of either charger? Also how does preconditioning work with Charge Anytime.....does it need to be actively charging to do this, or will it just work if you set it in the app, and will this still be on the 7p tariff?

Userlevel 7

Hey @jentom1975,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community,

I’ve found some topics that might be helpful to you:

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @jentom1975 , I chose the Ohme ePod, as I wanted untethered. Purchased & installed via a local firm, as Ovo only offered the Home Pro at the time. I see that’s changed now

https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/smart-charger#choose

All good so far, though it took a day or two for the SIM mobile network connection to locate & settle in. Unknown as to what, if any, charges will occur after the 3Y period with Ohme. You could probably make a similar comment about a possible charge for wifi access to data servers

The Ohme app works fine (no jinx, please), as long as I make the first connection via the Kia Connect app, to refresh the API credentials, I guess. The app also updated to show the new, lower charging rate for Charge Anytime