Solved

My meter's clocking backwards following a solar panel installation - Who should I contact to replace?

• 30 March 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge
  • Carbon Cutter*
  • 3 replies

3 weeks of new Solar Panels.  Great!.  Meter reading has gone backwards.  My solar app tells me what has been drawn from the grid.  How to fix the meter, and ensure more accurate billing?

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 31 March 2022, 11:45

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi. Could you give us some more information please?

Do you have a smart meter?

When you say "meter reading has gone backwards" what do you mean?

What is inaccurate about your bills? Are they showing the wrong meter reading? The wrong charges? Something else?

Badge

Old style meter from 1973 ish.  It actually rotates backwards when PV panels in full flow.  Meter reads less than it did before the panels installed.  The bills will be inaccurate as OVO wont be able to tell what electricity has been used.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I'm surprised your energy company didn't change your meter when you told them you're now generating electricity.

When your energy company realise what's happening you could end up with a large bill for the electricity you're using but not being billed for. So I would suggest contacting them and organising a new meter.

Badge

OVO informed - 4 week response period!

Userlevel 7

Updated on 12/12/23 by Abby_OVO

So sorry to hear about the issue that’s cropped up with your meter since you’ve joined the solar panel club, @Yat.

This is a meter fault that can occur when you’ve got solar panels and an older meter - read more about this on our meter fault guide. As you mention, this will mean that your meter is no longer clocking your usage accurately, so will need to be replaced. Good news is that we should be able to arrange a smart meter replacement that would also be able to clock your export readings as well.

OVO informed - 4 week response period!

Good to hear you’ve already been in touch with the Support Team. The wait times can vary for the Support Team for a number of reasons, but they’ll be doing their best to get to each and every case. Were you emailing the team at hello@ovoenergy.com?

Badge

No, OVO chat response was to email FITS team, which I have done (twice)

Userlevel 7

Oh sorry for the confusion there, @Yat.

A faulty meter replacement should be arranged by our Support Team rather than the FiTs team specifically. I’ll be reaching out to you via a private message in order to make sure we get the correct next steps taken for you.

You can access your forum inbox by clicking on your profile menu in the top right-hand corner of any forum page, or clicking here.

Hope we can get this sorted.