Solved

Is immersion heating as efficient as the gas boiler for heating the water? I'm trying to work our solar savings...

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

We have recently had solar pv fitted, with iBoost on the hot water tank to use any generation excess.

I am trying to get a figure for the savings made by using the solar pv to heat the hot water rather than the central heating gas boiler. There is a 3-way valve to control rads & hot water separately. This raises the question:

Does 1 kWh of immersion heating produce roughly the same amount of hot water as 1kWh of a gas boiler heating the water? I realise it will not be identical due to efficiencies and losses, but are they similar?

I hope to be able to compare costs of heating hot water by pv or gas, ie loss of SEG payment vs gas rate.

Then I will know the savings to be made.

icon

Best answer by mavison 19 August 2023, 23:57

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The immersion heater is 100% efficient so 1kWh of electricity will create 1kWh of heat.

Your gas boiler is probably about 90% efficient (possibly a bit less, depending what temperature you have your hot water) so 1kWh of gas creates 0.9kWh of heat.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The immersion heater is 100% efficient so 1kWh of electricity will create 1kWh of heat.

Your gas boiler is probably about 90% efficient (possibly a bit less, depending what temperature you have your hot water) so 1kWh of gas creates 0.9kWh of heat.

I've just realised, you're going to lose some heat in the pipes so your gas efficiency will be less. You might be better using 85%.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@M.isterW Thanks - I thought it would be something like that.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi there. I also thought of this idea. I have 8x415watt panels and 5.8 kWh battery. However my theory is that if u use the iboost on the immersion heater it will run at 3kw all the time it’s on, I think. Therefore surely you’ll need a high solar system to cope with the 3kw your drawing from either a battery or solar panels at any time immersion is running. 

I decided against it am prepared to use normal boiler for the moment. 

it is a good idea but feel it has its drawbacks. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@jonathanprentice: No, the iBoost only normally uses *surplus* PV energy that would otherwise be exported to the grid. If there is 1kw surplus it will just use that. If there is 5kw surplus it will use that ... but probably limited by your immersion heater(s). It varies the power taken minute by minute. If you turn boost on, it will then use the immersion max kw from anywhere - solar, battery or grid (probably in that order).  Seems to work very well - our gas water heating has been off for months ... but will be on when PV output drops in winter months.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

We’ll that’s my misconception squashed. Thanks. I learnt more from that last post than on iboosts website. Thanks again. Next year may look into this. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Updated on 01/02/24 by Emmanuelle_OVO:

Interested in getting solar? Good news!

@Jonathanprentice You can regard the immersion with iBoost as another energy storage device like the battery - they both can store surplus PV power. The difference is that the energy stored in the battery is used as electricity, the energy in the immersion is used as hot water. When neither battery nor immersion are full, any surplus PV may first go to one or the other, depending on setup. Here it first goes to the battery, but when 80%? plus some also goes to the immersion. Only when they are both full is any significant surplus amout exported.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Great thanks for the help. Just out of curiosity when I do go ahead which connection do I add the wireless sensor clamp. See photo 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

See https://www.marlec.co.uk/solar-iboost-downloads/ where you can download from the Technical Support area the User Manual and the Installation Instructions. You should find details in there.

Is that another CT clamp I see there already?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Live/brown. However, we as forum volunteers usually recommend you get help from an installer or an electrician. Just to be safe. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

See https://www.marlec.co.uk/solar-iboost-downloads/ where you can download from the Technical Support area the User Manual and the Installation Instructions. You should find details in there.

Is that another CT clamp I see there already?

That is the feed from the solar system.