Solved

I have an EV and may switch soon- Any point getting Smart Meter installed?

Userlevel 2
Badge

i have an EV and my contract with OVO is up for renewal next month - 

I also only have electricity with OVO, due to having Oil instead of Gas so i’m not able to 

move onto OVO Drive !.

Is it worth getting the meter installed with OVO if i end up having to move to another supplier?  or wait until i move and get them to install?

icon

Best answer by nealmurphy 10 January 2023, 19:50

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

If you can get an appointment booked in then I'd go with whichever can get you a smart meter up and running the quickest.

Check if your car or charger is compatible with tariffs offered elsewhere that give you additional benefits such as Intelligent Octopus.

Alternatively, some suppliers can load an Economy 7 tariff onto a smart meter which may work out cheaper than EV tariffs with certain suppliers in certain regions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If you’re currently still on EV Everywhere, you might still be able to get OVO Drive as an electric-only account under a grandfather rule as well.

I’ll ask @Emmanuelle_OVO as to whether that rule still exists.

Userlevel 2
Badge

currently i am not on anything EV - so i don’t think thats gonna work either - its a shame

OVO currently can offer me nothing….

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ah ok. What are you on right now?

It may also be possible to get OVO’s + Anytime Add-On regardless of tariff depending on your EV or Charger. Could you tell us what you’ve got? This usually helps some of us give you better advice.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Arh sorry.  Currently on OVO member special till Feb then rolling onto a simpler Energy.    Currently no smart meter, but letters states in my area from 23 Jan…..

Userlevel 2
Badge

And vehicle is a VW E golf Style and i have a Hypervolt charger

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Gotcha.

Last time I checked, that charger isn’t compatible but your EV should be via the Direct-to-Vehicle method. You’ll need a Smart Meter as well iirc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@TD12345 I have a feeling you won't get an EV tariff with OVO without paying for gas, unfortunately.

I'd grab the smart meter appointment. OVO installed mine a few years ago and we're very efficient.

Your VW set up will allow you to take advantage of EV tariffs that control charging to the vehicle.

Userlevel 2
Badge

ok thank you for your replies - im not too sure what the diff is between EV tariffs and Tarriffs that control charging to the vehicle - but i will investigate….

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Updated on 23/06/23 by Tim_OVO​: OVO are now fitting electric vehicle (EV) smart chargers. 

The smart chargers we fit are compatible with OVO’s Charge Anytime add on, for super cheap EV charging any time of the day. 

ok thank you for your replies - im not too sure what the diff is between EV tariffs and Tarriffs that control charging to the vehicle - but i will investigate….

OVO Drive, Octopus Go and British Gas's EV tariff are where you plug in and you choose either through your charger app or car system when you want car to charge.

OVO Drive +Anytime and Intelligent Octopus are more advanced. You tell the system how much charge you need and by when and it assigns a charging schedule based on what suits best, such as prioritising times when carbon intensity is lowest and wholesale price is usually cheapest.