Solved

How much should my energy supplier charge for a gas meter removal?

• 31 March 2022
  • 7 replies

We want our gas meter removed.  Our supplier is bulb, they want to charge 430 pound for that. I know some firm remove for free or a charge around 100 pound . According to bulb it's a special job.  To me it's just a smart meter fitted around two years ago. Can that be right? They have been difficult being difficult with the whole situation from the start. 

icon

Best answer by nealmurphy 31 March 2022, 10:19

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Updated on 12/12/23 by Abby_OVO

Hi @Sabine 

I guess you could call it a special job as it involves gas, so you need to know what you’re doing to be able to undertake the task! Their price however does seem rather high, assuming it’s just capping the incoming supply before the meter and removing the meter. If it is more complicated than this then obviously it will cost more for any additional requirements.

OVO’s pricing can be found here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/energy-charge-list

I believe it’s £106. This sounds reasonable for the work involved. Some suppliers do it for free to encourage people to stop burning stuff. I had mine removed last year without charge. It took a couple of weeks from requesting an appointment to having the meter reference removed from the national database.

The cost for a meter removal is £106 (or £325 for a 3-phase supply)*. You can visit this topic to find our full list of job prices

You can also find out more about gas meter removals on this really helpful topic from one of our volunteers: 

*exact charges may vary depending on your supplier and any fees from your Gas Transporter

Hi Neil,  it's just a straight forward removal,  nothing out of the ordinary.  Bulb states that it is same kind of specific meter, that can only be removed by I think Siemens.  It took just a normal appointment to have a fitted.  I just think they are being difficult about it. We are thinking of changing supplier and having it capped and removed by the new supplier.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hiya!

Neal is spot on so far, so I’ll just drop in with some extra info. That Siemens meter sounds like a PAYG meter. It’s no different to anything else and should be a straightforward removal job like any other.

Could you show us some photos of it by any chance? That might help us to figure this out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

On Bulb's forum it suggests the cost is a lot less than you've been quoted. I'd get on there, if I were you, and ask for their help.

https://community.bulb.co.uk/t/gas-meter-removal/107128

Sorry,  cant send any photos at the moment,  I'm not there at the moment,  its another property 2 hours away.  Maybe in a few days.  

Thank you for the link to bulbs forum,  I'm giving that a go, see what they got to say.  It's been problematic from the start,  at first they wouldn't even take responsibility for removing the meter,  even after we told them it needs to be them, being the supplier. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries, we keep threads open indefinitely here, so feel free to come back when you’re ready.

Thanks for helping out today by the way @nealmurphy and @M.isterW . I appreciate the assists!

Thank you everyone,  its been extremely helpful.