Solved

Heat pump installation. How do I now cap gas supply?

Badge

Hi I have just had a heat pump installed and the installation team have said they can cap the gas connection as I no longer need a gas supply. Can they complete this action or do I have to go through Ovo to formalise this request?

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 6 January 2023, 14:02

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The installers can cap the supply on the house side of the gas meter but you will still be paying for the standing charge. If you want the meter removed you will need to ask OVO to do it, and there's a charge for it 

From personal experience, OVO will remove the meter then will be unable or unwilling to cancel your gas account so you'll still be paying the standing charge. I did exactly what you're planning to do and after nearly a year of hassle and issues from OVO I have ended up complaining to the ombudsman.

A better option is to swap to a different energy provider (I would suggest Octopus but pick your favourite) and get them to do it.

Userlevel 7

Hi @M550344 and congratulations on making the move to an electric air source heat pump! 🙌

The process for getting that gas meter disconnected is outlined here: 

A bit more detail here if interested:

M.isterW’s negative experience should certainly not be disregarded but OVO have the capability to perform this action and have done just that for many thousands of customers. 

Badge

New heat pump just installed!

I have smart meters for both electricity and gas, only cook with electric and so no longer need a dual fuel account.  How do I inform OVO and get them to change my account over  and stop incurring the daily standing charge for my now non-existent gas supply.   Gas safe registered plumbing company installed both the heat pump and removed the old gas boiler, capping off the supply both sides of the gas meter.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

New heat pump just installed!

I have smart meters for both electricity and gas, only cook with electric and so no longer need a dual fuel account.  How do I inform OVO and get them to change my account over  and stop incurring the daily standing charge for my now non-existent gas supply.   Gas safe registered plumbing company installed both the heat pump and removed the old gas boiler, capping off the supply both sides of the gas meter.

@Johnd1949 could you offer some advice to @DreamSteamer given you have managed to finally get this done (fingers crossed of course)

@DreamSteamer it has been a long running saga for many people in a similar situation

You might be better tagging along on the above thread and asking for help, tagging people who you think might have useful information.

Well done on your new heat pump! How are you getting on with it?

We recently added an Idea you might like to vote for. OVO regularly review the Ideas for potential future improvements to their systems. 

I don't work for OVO, I am just a customer like you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

As you'll see from the "why am I still getting charged for gas" thread, there are a number of us who have had gas meters removed and OVO are still charging us. OVO have a process issue that means they're struggling to close gas accounts when meters have been removed. My very strong advice is to move to a different supplier and get them to remove your meter. Otherwise you'll be joining the list of people complaining to the ombudsman.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you want a recommendation, have a look at Octopus. They have a tariff called Cosy Octopus that's designed for heat pump owners.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@DreamSteamer There is this guide

I haven't read it myself 

Badge

Thank you to all who have responded.

I tried several times to contact OVO and the best I could come up with, after listening to all the recorded messages and holding on the line for a long time, was to have a WhatsApp conversation after they have sent me a request from their official WhatsApp account.   I’m still waiting for this, so nothing to report as yet.  I will also be looking around for other suppliers!  Thanks again.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

If you want a recommendation, have a look at Octopus. They have a tariff called Cosy Octopus that's designed for heat pump owners.

Id be very carful & do some serious calcs before switching to Cosy while it dose give you some cheaper hours 4am-7am & 1pm-4pm these are typically low output times when people are at work 4pm-7pm when the majority of people will be cooking & other high demand appliances are on its 60% more expensive   

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

We heat our water and charge the car during the low cost hours as well as shifting as many other loads as we can (washing machine, dishwasher, tumble dryer etc).

I've been surprised at how little electricity we use in the peak period. Cooking uses far less than you think, with an induction hob and modern oven, and none of the other appliances we use in the evening are high demand so it's easy to save money on Cosy Octopus. We save at least 10% per day.

If we want to save more we change the settings on our battery so we can end up with almost zero use in the peak period.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There is an app called Octopus Compare that uses the data from your smart meter to show what different tariffs would cost you each day. You need to be with Octopus to use it but it's really useful if you're trying to decide if it's worth moving to a different tariff.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

We heat our water and charge the car during the low cost hours as well as shifting as many other loads as we can (washing machine, dishwasher, tumble dryer etc).

I've been surprised at how little electricity we use in the peak period. Cooking uses far less than you think, with an induction hob and modern oven, and none of the other appliances we use in the evening are high demand so it's easy to save money on Cosy Octopus. We save at least 10% per day.

If we want to save more we change the settings on our battery so we can end up with almost zero use in the peak period.

So if you dint have battery’s then it would not be saving anything? it also says the base cost per kWh is the octopus variable rate so could go up or down unlike a fixed. 

Im sure its  working for you but I dont think it would save money for most HP users 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you actually read my post you'd see that I said that we save at least 10% per day without factoring in the battery.

I don't know where you'd find a fixed rate cheaper than the current variable rate.