Ever seen inside an Indra Vehicle to Grid (V2G) charger?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Well here is your chance.…

Opened by a ChargedEv engineer in front of me (I didn't ask) while i finally have my replacement unit.

@Transparent , @Blastoise186  thought you may in partuculat be interested.

And yes, he left it opend like this in the rain too...

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Wow, that looks fancy!

Seems to me as if Indra used some pretty decent components too. :)

I’m afraid Transparent has retired from the OVO Forum and is no longer active here. He still has his forum account of course and it’s still usable in case Transparent decides to come back someday, but he’s decided to move on for the foreseeable future.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Yes, obviously this was never intended to be opened by anyone other than Indra, but, as I saw an opportunity for a snap, I took a few! I am sure Indra will be discussing why the get an open unit back.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Well, it’s not like you did it! 😜

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Absolutely.   But was awesome to see inside!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Just imagine… 

Indra: Erm… John… Do you have any idea why this V2G Unit was opened by any chance and got a ton of water ingress?

You: Yup. An engineer did it! Totally wasn’t me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

To be clwar, it was an engineer who had never even seen a v2g before and wasnt expecting to deal with it. He was talked through how to do the replacement (took 6hrs) over the phone by other people. Was an interesting experience. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yeah, I can imagine it must have been a tricky job too. It’s a bit like that draft guide in the private area right now which I’m working on. That monster has taken me over six months to research. :)

Still, worth a rare chance to see what these V2G units hide underneath the cover!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

To be fair he had to take old one off wall  unbox new one, unplug ct and ethernet then plug new unit into same and put old cover over new unit. Not moving it or anything. 

Oh he finally bypassed the matte and put earth rod in!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Nice! I can’t see any harm from installing an earth rod to be honest. If anything it’ll only add to the protections the installation already had.

Let’s hope this new one actually lasts you more than three months this time. Can you try not to fry it again please, cuz they’re not cheap! 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Nice! I can’t see any harm from installing an earth rod to be honest. If anything it’ll only add to the protections the installation already had.

Let’s hope this new one actually lasts you more than three months this time. Can you try not to fry it again please, cuz they’re not cheap! 😁

One of the reasons mine has been blowing so often is it turns out (having spoken to the CTO of Indra at the EV event OVO kindly supplied tickets to) that matte devices are in fact not supported with v2g and OVO originally installed it incorrectly! Earth rod is the ONLY supported earthing install.

Userlevel 7

Great to see the inner workings of your charger there, @Jequinlan!

🤞 that earth rod does the trick. Have you noticed your solar panels having an impact on your V2G payments yet? 🌞🚗

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Great to see the inner workings of your charger there, @Jequinlan!

🤞 that earth rod does the trick. Have you noticed your solar panels having an impact on your V2G payments yet? 🌞🚗

Hi, sadly not seen any impact yet, we use so much electricity (more than V2g peak export and solar generation combined) I doubt I ever will!