Solved

Does OVO still have an EV plan?

Badge

I have just changed from a Hybrid to 100%EV with 98kWH battery. I have already got a home charger via the OVO scheme and am on a smart meter with the current Simpler Energy variable programme. 
Is their an EV friendly tariff still running that would be of benefit to me?

icon

Best answer by M.isterW 3 January 2023, 16:15

View original

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Updated on 01/11/23 by Tim_OVO: As of the 1st November 2023, Charge Anytime now offers  7p per kWh for smart charging. See this eligibility list to check if you have an eligible smart charger OR vehicle, that can be used with Charge Anytime via ‘Direct to vehicle’ with any smart charger. 

• Smart charge your electric vehicle for 7p per kWh whenever you need to,
  • Now available to be added to any OVO plan, including electric-only households

Who can get Charge Anytime

There are now two ways you can get Charge Anytime:

Userlevel 2
Badge

Best of luck with that Ruth, I am an existing customer with OVO and owner of an EV, I don’t have the specified chargeing unit that OVO recommended therefore I can’t get OVO Drive, when I saw the answer to your post I thought great there is at last an EV tariff from OVO, but no when I checked and filled in the quote I find it is exactly the same tariff I am on at present with no reduction for EV chargeing.

At present I am cheaper going to my local authority charging point where the tariff is 8ppKw cheaper.

When will OVO join with other suppliers and offer EV drivers a genuine competitive tariff.

Badge

Just got a quote too @cmccullie 
Same as your result, the tariff I’m currently on so guessing OVO Drive has disappeared or just not worth it.
I like the look of OvoDrive + Anytime (if that still exists) but the cost of another new charger unit seems inhibitive.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

OVO Drive by itself does not automatically include Drive + Anytime. To get the 10p/kWh Anytime Charging, you also need to activate the + Anytime Add-On in MyOVO and set things up from there. Once that’s done and Kaluza has connected successfully, you’ll start getting the cheaper rate. If your charger is not compatible but your EV is, Direct-to-Vehicle is also a possible option to get the same benefits.

In actual fact, the Anytime Add-On will soon be made available to everyone regardless of tariff. But you would still need to activate it - and keep it active - in order to get the cheap charging!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks for the information, but search as I may I can’t find any reference to +anytime on the MyOVO site.

is it still available if you don’t have the recommended Ev charger.

Badge

As answer at top of forum from M.isterW it is buried somewhere so clearly not shouted about right now…..
https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/anytime

and no, looks like I would need an expensive charger upgrade.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I’ve marked that as best answer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

As answer at top of forum from M.isterW it is buried somewhere so clearly not shouted about right now…..
https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/anytime

and no, looks like I would need an expensive charger upgrade.

For completeness, as well as Octopus's two EV tariffs, British Gas now also have one with a 12p/kWh off-peak rate for 5 hours.

Alternatively, Economy 7 could work out well for you with a greater number of cheap hours each night.

I believe all EV tariffs being offered are now classed as 'variable' in order to be eligible for EPG discounts. Therefore pricing may well change from April.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi, I’m wondering if anyone on here is from the south west of Scotland and on one of the EV Tariffs. I’ve been getting strung along by my current suppler (bulb) for the last 6 months and they say it’s not possible for the metres in my area to send the correct signal to get put onto their ev tariff. So it’s costing us a fortune to run the car on our single rate tariff. I’m just wondering if there’s any truth in this before I enquire about a switch to new supplier.

I have a smart meter 2

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @am84 

Could you please confirm what the smart meter checker is showing for your meter so we can see if it's connected to the DCC system.

If this is receiving your data there shouldnt be an issue with getting an EV or Economy 7 tariff loaded.

https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks for your reply.

Your electricity meter's working in smart mode

Supplier: Bulb Energy Limited

This means your meter should automatically send readings to your supplier, so you don't need to send them yourself.

It’s working in smart mode because you have a second generation meter (SMETS2) that’s on the smart meter data network. The network connects your smart meter to energy suppliers.

this is my result .

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Bulbs saying this website can’t be relied on and that I have a week signal.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Can you see on your account @am84 if your meter readings are consistently smart (auto)? That might help to confirm one way or another

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

It was taking smart readings up until then.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

The WAN + HAN ARE FLASHING Green intermittently 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@am84 

If looks like your smart meter is set to send a reading every month. You would need to get this changed to 30 minute readings for any EV or time of use tariff. This should be a fairly simple request.

I'm confident it will work with your smart meter, but if you want a further check use the Bright app and link your meter to it and see if it receives readings (possibly won't update until your meter sends a monthly reading though)

If you let us know what make/model your car is and the make of your car charger we can give you a few options for tariffs for you.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Mg5 72 plate

indra smart pro charger 

i was set to 30 min readings with Bulb , they haven’t been very helpful, they went into administration or something and have just given up by the sounds of it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Octopus are taking over Bulb

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Yes I know that. I just want away from bulb right now. So looking at my options. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

If you have a dual fuel account then you may want to look at the +Anytime add-on with OVO as the Indra charger is compatible with that. I'm not sure if that is currently available, but I imagine if it's not at the moment it will be soon.

The combination isn't compatible with the Intelligent Octopus tariff yet, as far as I know. So your next best option with them is Go (four hours overnight currently at 12p/kWh)

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

That sounds good to me. I’ll give them a phone tomorrow and see what they say.

thanks for your input.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks for your reply.

Your electricity meter's working in smart mode

Supplier: Bulb Energy Limited

This means your meter should automatically send readings to your supplier, so you don't need to send them yourself.

It’s working in smart mode because you have a second generation meter (SMETS2) that’s on the smart meter data network. The network connects your smart meter to energy suppliers.

this is my result .

If you have a dual fuel account then you may want to look at the +Anytime add-on with OVO as the Indra charger is compatible with that. I'm not sure if that is currently available, but I imagine if it's not at the moment it will be soon.

The combination isn't compatible with the Intelligent Octopus tariff yet, as far as I know. So your next best option with them is Go (four hours overnight currently at 12p/kWh)

Hi, just an update , that’s us finally on an Ev tariff (Anytime) and can now enjoy discounted charging. Ovo are still trying to connect to meters but as I have the Indra smart pro it can connect to that. So happy days. Should definitely make a difference to our bills every month, for now 😂🫣

Userlevel 7

Great to hear this, @am84 - another Charge Anytime recruit - happy charging!

🚙

For anyone else interested: