Solved

Does OVO Charge Anytime work with Porsche Taycan 4s cross turismo 22?

Badge

Does charge anytime work with Porsche Taycan 4s cross turismo 22.?

I have an Andersen charger.

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 13 March 2023, 11:40

View original

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 01/11/23 by Tim_OVO:

There are now two ways you can get Charge Anytime:

You must have an eligible EV or Smart Charger, we’re constantly looking into ways to broaden eligibility of this product so if your technology isn’t currently on this list keep an eye on our page for updates! 

Howdy @JamieGoral !

Yup, your Taycan should work nicely, but I’m afraid the charger isn’t compatible right now. Make sure to use Direct-2-Vehicle Mode to enjoy the benefits!

Badge

Thank you Blastoise186.

Are there any disadvantages to direct to vehicle mode.?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The only one I know of is that you have to set up every single EV individually and it only works with compatible ones. Otherwise… Not much I can think of.

Badge

What happens if the charger is compatible (i.e. Ohme epod)?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If both are compatible, we (as forum volunteers) tend to recommend using the charger with Charge Anytime as it’s then possible to get the Charge Anytime rate for any EV you connect to the charger. :)

Badge

Thank you for this. The Ohme isn’t compatible with Porsche via API, so I’m wondering what happens in this instance and what the user experience may be?

The Ohme manual says when API integration isn’t possible, a schedule to just add a fixed battery % should be used - I’m wondering how this works with when integrated to OVO Anytime?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The Charger shouldn’t need an API with the EV. It uses the charger cable to talk to the EV instead. If you link the Charger to Charge Anytime, you can use the charger app to manage everything, don’t worry about the EV. :)

Simply set the charger to have time schedules that work for you and Charge Anytime does the rest. You can’t have Ohme Labs AND OVO Charge Anytime control the charge at the same time anyway as they’d clash. You have to pick one or the other.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Grateful if someone can confirm eligibility criteria for a Porsche Taycan

My understanding is that only the EV must be compatible, not both the EV and the charger.

My configuration is an internet connected 2021 Taycan 4s using the Porsche Supplied Mobile Connect charger, supplied by a 32a commando socket.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @D00 ,

You can indeed use that Taycan with Charge Anytime. If you have a compatible Charger, that works too but in your case only the EV is so that’s all you need.

Please be aware that using a Commando Socket isn’t recommended, nor is it officially supported with Charge Anytime. It may work in the short term, but I strongly recommend that you get a proper EV Charger at some point.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for your helpful reply.

Isn’t the Porsche supplied Mobile Connect Charger a proper charger?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Technically yes, technically no. A proper EV Charger would be directly wall mounted into its own circuit. What you’ve got there with that one is a weird hybrid between a proper dedicated charger and a so-called Smart Cable.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi again 

it is wall mounted, it is supplied with a specific wall Mount, and was installed by a qualified electrician with its own circuit breaker and RCD.  Keen to know if I’m missing something!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ah ok. It’s just a really weird way of doing it. Most EV Chargers don’t have Commando Sockets!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @D00 , do you use the Porsche home energy manager?

Userlevel 1
Badge

This is it Charger

it comes with both a 3 pin plug and a 32a connector. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @BPLightlog - I don’t have or use the Energy Manager, it wasnt necessary for my supply 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Blastoise186 

This is it Charger

it comes with both a 3 pin plug and a 32a connector. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ok @D00 , it’s mostly that Charge Anytime needs a connection with data but if the car provides that I believe it should be fine. You could check with the team at smarthome@ovoenergy.com if you want to make sure

Userlevel 1
Badge

@BPLightlog

I did call the the smart home team before posting here. Contradicting the web site and product terms and conditions, they said they couldn’t tell me in advance of switching whether my EV is compatible with Charge Anytime and an OVO specific charger may be required. Obvs. I didn’t want to switch without certainty. The resolutions/complaints team have now agreed that the car is compatible and a specific charger is not required. The smarthomes team need some product training - call times would then be shorter and there’d be fewer complaints/resolutions - I spent 69 minutes on the phone yesterday to confirm this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

From what we’ve seen @D00 that is unusual, they have been quite good and responsive, by email at least, as far as I know. Most of us here are simply other customers trying to offer help where we can, often after finding a solution ourselves. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Also worth mentioning that the Smart Home Team doesn’t respond to phone calls, so maybe you spoke to someone else?

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Blastoise186 - from a live chat, I was advised to call 0330 303 5063 and ask to be connected to the SmartHomes team - which I did, received contradictory advice, and was then transferred to complaint’s resolution. 
Maybe the live chat advice was inaccurate, maybe they didn’t really put me through to the smart homes team, maybe they did. 69 minutes later the resolution team corrected the advice.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I see. From experience of what we’ve seen here, email to smarthome@ovoenergy.com definitely gets you directly through to the right team, really powerful advice and a pretty quick response within 2 working days.

If it’s OK with you, I’ll feed this back to the forum moderators though as there may be scope to fix this.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Blastoise186 - ok by me. There’s definitely scope to improve product training and therefore call response times.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Sure thing, leave that with me. I’ll bring it up backstage and have a chat with the other forum volunteers as well. Chances are the moderators will also see this thread as they’re actively patrolling right now.