Solved

Charge Anytime app fails to charge vehicle to set max charge level

• 18 February 2023
  • 22 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Plugged my Renault Zoe into my home charge point at lunchtime yesterday and left the app to do it’s thing. My app settings are Reached by: 09:00, Charge level: 100%.

There were multiple charging ‘sessions’ but when the charge finished and I unplugged at 09:15 this morning both the car and the app reported the car’s battery level at only 96%.

I’m sure I’ve used the app to charge to 100% previously. What’s going on and is this likely to happen again?

icon

Best answer by Peter E 18 February 2023, 21:58

View original

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hmm… If I were to make a guess - and this is only a guess - it’s possible the EV terminated the charge completely on this occasion or used some juice between sessions.

Keep an eye on things and report back

Userlevel 4
Badge

Updated on 15/01/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO:

Want to find out more about Charge Anytime? Check out this topic:

There are complications of charging to 100%. 0-99% is straight forward and the time to charge calculation is relatively linear. However, the last one percent is a two stage process. Stage one is the charge time to go from 99% to 100% nominal - the point where the lowest-capacity pair of cells (96 series connection of a pair of cells, 96s2p configuration) reaches its maximum voltage. That takes about three minutes.

After that point the charger in the car drops the power down down to 2kW (you can see this happen on 7 and 22kW chargers) and then selectively brings each pair of cells to the maximum voltage. When the highest capacity pair reach the maximum voltage the cell levelling process terminates and a 100% charge is declared. The time to do the levelling varies according to a number of parameters but the main one is the number of miles since the last 100% charge. The energy required to do this can vary from 3-5kWh every time you do it. The variability of this process is shown on the Renault app as a loss of time to complete the charge whereas it would show a charge completion time before 99%.

Getting back to your issue: Is the app etc capable of recognising that the very last part of the charge can take a lot longer than simply calculating a pro-rata time based on the rate that it is charging up to 99%? Perhaps it gets it right some of the time. Maybe that will be when you have done fewer miles since the last full charge.

Another possibility is that the charge reported by the BMS can drop when the battery temperature drops even though no charge is lost from the battery. I have noticed that I can park a warm car / battery in the evening at say 70% and if it has been very cold overnight it will report only 68% in the morning only for it to report 69% later on in the day when it has warmed up a bit. The BMS does change the available battery capacity according to temperature and it’s not the only car to do it.

There is also the possibility of a malfunction somewhere between the car and Ovo’s servers during the charging process.

I hope that helps

Peter

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you both, especially for Peter’s well-reasoned reply.

I’ll monitor for a while and report back.

Nosmarb

Userlevel 4
Badge

One of the reasons for not actively looking to use this Type-of-use charging (apart from the complexity of the whole system) is that I’m not sure if there will be any detriment to the battery if the charging is repeatedly stopped/started during the period when the BMS is carrying out the cell equalisation (aka top levelling) process. ATM I don’t think there is any evidence either way but when I schedule a 100% charge I always make sure its done in one session without the possibility of any outside control interrupting the process.

This also applies to use of the Ohme / Time-of-use tariff where the car is charged during individual slots when the electricity is cheapest. This is probably fine for anything below 99%.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Only been using Anytime for a few days. First charge was a test charge to add 10% as car was already at 85% soc. This worked perfectly. 2nd charge was to charge to 100% for 07.40. I checked Apps at 06.00 and car was at 97% and charging paused. Anytime had sent a Timer to the car showing 100% for 3 days later? I changed the timer on My Porsche App and the car commenced charging again and got to 100%. The Anytime App showed the correct request all the time. 3rd charge set 85% for 07.40 today and charging stopped at 82% and car had a timer sent by Anytime again for 3 days time. Corrected this and it has started charging again. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Said I’d repeat my Charge Anytime app charging process and report back (assuming anyone’s interested, of course).

So, the app was set to Min Charge 20%, Max Charge 100% and Ready By 09:00.

The car was plugged into my home charger at 11:00 on 20/2/23. There were several charging sessions, all during that day.

Checked at 09:15 on 21/2/23. Like before, the app reported the battery 96% full. But rather than unplug the car, I left it plugged in. Something I’d not done before was then to examine the car manufacturer’s (Renault) app. This showed an enabled “customised charging schedule” of start at 10:11 and end at 14:01. I have never set a customised schedule in this app.

Indeed, at 10:11 charging recommenced, stopping at around 11:00 with the battery ‘topped up’ to 99% (as reported by the car and both apps). This 1.6 kWh top up charge appears in Charge Anytime’s Savings tab (a discount of 32p).

Further, I see now that the Renault app’s customised charging schedule has been set to start at 07:41 and end at 09:01.

I plan to change nothing now and see (and report) what happens at my next app-controlled charge.

My suspicion is that Kaluza must have set my Renault app’s customised charging schedule wrongly on the previous occasion, but that it is correct now.

Does this make sense?

Nosmarb 

Userlevel 7

Hi there, @Nosmarb @speuk - can you confirm if you’re applying the settings in the charger app or the direct to vehicle (D2V) Charge Anytime app? 

The Charge Anytime app is used for D2V control. Where a customer has an eligible vehicle but does not have an eligible charger, they should use the D2V app. Where a customer has an eligible charger (regardless of whether or not their vehicle is eligible), they should use the charger app.

The difference between the two at the moment is that the D2V customer will see savings in their D2V app, whilst the charger customer can see savings in a page called “Your EV” in the My OVO account.

If a customer has an eligible charger and has downloaded the D2V app, they are likely to be setting schedules in multiple apps which will cause a conflict in commands being sent to charge the battery. As a result they may miss their ready by times and will probably not be able to reconcile their Charge Anytime credits.

Let me know if this is applicable in your case.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Tim,

The only place in which I have set my Ready By time and Min and Max charge levels is the charging schedule page of the Ovo Charge Anytime app. It’s my belief that the My Renault app charging mode details are being set by Kaluza (maybe via the car?). I’m leaving that app severely alone 😊.

My home charger is a BP Chargemaster Premium Homecharge and I see my savings on the Savings page of the Charge Anytime app.

Nosmarb

Userlevel 2
Badge

I just use the Charge Anytime App to schedule "Ready By" and min and Max SOC. Nothing set in the car, Porsche Taycan, but the D2V App seems to push a Profile called "Enode" and a Timer to the car... clearly at some point the Timer gets updated by the D2V App to a Ready By date and time about 3 days out with weird times like 21.30 hours. Not a big issue as getting within 3 % of the requested SOC is good enough.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Said I’d repeat my Charge Anytime app charging process and report back (assuming anyone’s interested, of course).

So, the app was set to Min Charge 20%, Max Charge 100% and Ready By 09:00.

The car was plugged into my home charger at 11:00 on 20/2/23. There were several charging sessions, all during that day.

Checked at 09:15 on 21/2/23. Like before, the app reported the battery 96% full. But rather than unplug the car, I left it plugged in. Something I’d not done before was then to examine the car manufacturer’s (Renault) app. This showed an enabled “customised charging schedule” of start at 10:11 and end at 14:01. I have never set a customised schedule in this app.

Indeed, at 10:11 charging recommenced, stopping at around 11:00 with the battery ‘topped up’ to 99% (as reported by the car and both apps). This 1.6 kWh top up charge appears in Charge Anytime’s Savings tab (a discount of 32p).

Further, I see now that the Renault app’s customised charging schedule has been set to start at 07:41 and end at 09:01.

I plan to change nothing now and see (and report) what happens at my next app-controlled charge.

My suspicion is that Kaluza must have set my Renault app’s customised charging schedule wrongly on the previous occasion, but that it is correct now.

Does this make sense?

Nosmarb 

Yep exactly the same as my experience.... Kaluza sending odd profile and timers to the car

Userlevel 2
Badge

One other minor issue I have noticed is that Kaluza sends a Timer to the car which has a ready by time which often 48 hours + beyond the time I require the car. I haven't left this to see what happens by I'm pretty sure the car would not charge to the required soc at the time I require it. So for example the Charge Anytime App is set to 07.40 am and min 20% max 100%. When I check in the car or My Porsche App there is a Profile called Enode with a min 85%  and a Timer set to 100% soc for Wednesday 1st March at 21.35 hours. 

I now always check what Kaluza has sent to the car and manually correct it. It also then allows me to switch on preconditioning.

It would be helpful if the Charge Anytime App had a 7 day setting option to match the car. 

Userlevel 7

Thanks @speuk, I’ll pass this on to the team as well!

For anyone wondering about Charge Anytime, look no further:

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks @Tim_OVO . It is not a big issue relative to the discount it provides and now I understand that Kaluza sends profiles and timers to the car I just keep an eye on what has been sent by checking last thing at night and first thing in the morning. By way of example I manually adjusted the timer using the My Porsche App late last night to set it at 100% by 07.40 hours to align with the Charge Anytime App and I also switch on pre condition to heat the car to 21.5c for 07.40. I checked again at 06.40am and the car was charged to 100% but the timer and profiles were now deleted so preconditioning would not come on. I manually added a timer for 07.40 and 100% plus preconditioning to 21.5C and all was well when I set off at about 7.45am with the car at 100% and nice and warm :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks @speuk, I’ll pass this on to the team as well!

For anyone wondering about Charge Anytime, look no further:

The 10p rate certainly looks competitive, especially when taking into account the daytime rate with things like Octopus Go and Intelligent Octopus currently for new customers.

It makes a nice change for a company other than Octopus bringing out a cheaper tariff.

Be interesting to hear what EV owners think of it. 

Badge

Good evening 

just been reading this forum as I thought I was going mad with my Porsche App , Kaluza web app and charge anytime app …. 

I’ve had Indra and charged EV out multiple times to my home and there are some serious issues which should be addressed 

Firstly the charge anytime app is the dominant app if you have an Indra smart pro charger and are using the OVO anytime tariff. 

the charge anytime app adds erroneous profiles and timers to the Porsche app ,a profile called ENODE and a timer which is usually a day to two ahead . The charged EV and Indra people I’ve had out watched this happen in real time. 

The only solution for us was to ONLY use the charge anytime app to schedule the car charging setting it at 50% min and 85% - 100% max (annoying that the app only allows one schedule and not a 7 day version this really really would be helpful) 

When plugging the car in you may still get a red charger error but as long as your Indra is showing 4 solid white lights and your timer is scheduled on the charge anytime app then you just leave it plugged in and leave it to charge in preparation for your time the next day . It’ll optimise the charge from when you plug in to when you need it . 

Do not use the porsche app in any way other than to precondition the car which works. 

Would be good if ovo issued a message about this to its customers about porsche vehicles at least, is this happening with other makes and models? 

The head of charged ev fitters nationally was with me today and hes relaying this information internally to their entire fitting team so they can advise customers having the indra fitted if these issues arise. 

If someone at ovo could respond about this issue will undoubtedly save everyone a tonne of man hours fixing issues. 

My final point is that ovo anytime isn't actually anytime as if you come home and need to charge immediately and start an emergency charge you'll be charged the normal rate per k/w and not 10p per k/w

Would make a difference if we had it anytime as the tariff suggests @ ovo 

Hope this helps someone as it's driven me mental over the last 2 weeks 

Userlevel 7

Hi @kentbod, I’ve just replied to this same comment on your own thread, to confirm: 

It sounds like you've linked Charge Anytime to your vehicle when you have an eligible smart charger. The Indra and Ohme chargers will interfere with the Charge Anytime schedule if linked to the vehicle, so it's important that you link directly to you charger.

Please delete your account by going to settings in the Charge Anytime app, then add it again in the offers section of your OVO online account, but this time select that you have an Indra charger when signing up.

Once linked to your charger you don't need the Charge Anytime app. You can just use the Indra charger app.

Let me know how this goes,

Tim

Badge

Good evening 

just been reading this forum as I thought I was going mad with my Porsche App , Kaluza web app and charge anytime app …. 

I’ve had Indra and charged EV out multiple times to my home and there are some serious issues which should be addressed 

Firstly the charge anytime app is the dominant app if you have an Indra smart pro charger and are using the OVO anytime tariff. 

the charge anytime app adds erroneous profiles and timers to the Porsche app ,a profile called ENODE and a timer which is usually a day to two ahead . The charged EV and Indra people I’ve had out watched this happen in real time. 

The only solution for us was to ONLY use the charge anytime app to schedule the car charging setting it at 50% min and 85% - 100% max (annoying that the app only allows one schedule and not a 7 day version this really really would be helpful) 

When plugging the car in you may still get a red charger error but as long as your Indra is showing 4 solid white lights and your timer is scheduled on the charge anytime app then you just leave it plugged in and leave it to charge in preparation for your time the next day . It’ll optimise the charge from when you plug in to when you need it . 

Do not use the porsche app in any way other than to precondition the car which works. 

Would be good if ovo issued a message about this to its customers about porsche vehicles at least, is this happening with other makes and models? 

The head of charged ev fitters nationally was with me today and hes relaying this information internally to their entire fitting team so they can advise customers having the indra fitted if these issues arise. 

If someone at ovo could respond about this issue will undoubtedly save everyone a tonne of man hours fixing issues. 

My final point is that ovo anytime isn't actually anytime as if you come home and need to charge immediately and start an emergency charge you'll be charged the normal rate per k/w and not 10p per k/w

Hope this helps someone as it's driven me mental over the last 2 weeks 

I’ve just switched to Ovo and Charge Anytime and having the same issues as others seem to be having (I have a BMW iX) and like you it is driving me mental with the odd/random charge settings the Ovo app keeps sending to the BMW app - result being that my car is not charged for when i need it in the morning….  Frustrating! 

Badge

@Tim_OVO this needs resolving, i am still getting ENODE as a profile randomly adding itself to my porsche app… i also get timers which add themselves up to 3 days ahead also. 

i have found a way to charge the car, but i have to CONSTANTLY check the timers and profiles and continuously remove and adjust them as the Charger / Kaluza / Charge Anytime communicate with the Porsche app spontaneously 

this is 100% down to the Indra Charger / Kaluza / Charge Anytime being a complete mess as friends have the same vehicle as me and are using other chargers with ZERO issues. 

when is OVO going to admit this is a mess and the link up with Indra / Charged EV is the cause ? is it going to take everyone getting together to start a lawsuit to get the truth ? 

to be clear this isn’t just a Porsche issue, my colleague has a BMW ixDriver50 and hasnt been able to charge the car ONCE at home as yet…. 

SORT. IT. OUT. 

Userlevel 7

Hi @Foxy86 @kentbod,

I’m happy to pass on feedback, check for updates and flag issues wherever possible. I just want to make sure this post below has been seen and actioned:

It sounds like you've linked Charge Anytime to your vehicle when you have an eligible smart charger. The Indra and Ohme chargers will interfere with the Charge Anytime schedule if linked to the vehicle, so it's important that you link directly to you charger.

Please delete your account by going to settings in the Charge Anytime app, then add it again in the offers section of your OVO online account, but this time select that you have an Indra charger when signing up.

Once linked to your charger you don't need the Charge Anytime app. You can just use the Indra charger app.

The Indra/Kaluza app is your one place to set ready by and charge % settings. 

If there are other settings on your EV app that are affected, can you confirm this is the feedback that your posts relate to here? 

Thanks,

Tim

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’ve got a PHEV so its a different scenario.  I have my car set to charge by 7:30 each morning, but if I’ve been out all morning and am down to 20% and am going out in afternoon if I change the “ready by” time to 14:30 it will start to charge at the 7p rate - I don’t see any need to use the “Urgent Charge” as I (and a few others on this forum) just reset the “ready by” time.  I have done it three times in a day.  I didnt expect to get this flexibility when I signed up as its not clear that you can do it, but on reading the terms there’s no reason why it shouldn’t.  

Clearly you will need to set the Min Charge Level to 0% (or a least below your current charge) for this to work.

Badge

Sorry I should have been clearer here, it only charges you full standard rate (not the 7p rate) if you over ride and press “boost” (well thats what it on my charger app) then it goes to standard tariff…. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thing is OVO don’t really make it clear you can change the end time as often as you want (I guess its not really in their interest to do so) and my (admittedly short) experience is that if I set the “Ready by” time in the near future it starts to charge straight away, so I don’t see me using “Boost” - but I’ve got a PHEV so am not totally reliant on Electricity.