Solved

Applied for OVO's smart export guarantee (SEG) - how long till it's set up?

Having installed our solar panels, we applied to receive the OVO Smart energy guarantee payments and sent the requested initial export meter reading on the 12th July, which will be seven weeks ago tomorrow. 

We were told that we would receive the welcome email within four weeks from receiving this initial meter reading.

Is it normal to have to wait this long? I cannot speak to the SEG team by phone and any email sent just gets a standard reply that a response will be within 15 days.

Getting frustrated now

Malcolm

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 7 September 2022, 12:19

View original

58 replies

Userlevel 7

The teams are really busy at the moment. It’s September which represents a generation (if feed in tariff (FiT)) or export (if SEG) reading window, so high volumes of contact. Alongside that the price cap news is meaning all customer facing teams are very busy and response have been affected. 

Despite this our teams are committed to getting to your emails, applications and any outstanding payments as soon as possible. It’s still something we’re trying to put right for everyone.

Hi @TrishT 

I’ve recently been advised that a smart export guarantee (SEG) applicant is only eligible for SEG once an export supply number (MPAN) has been created. As soon as that's been done we ask the customer for an opening reading which is the point they will be paid from. Unfortunately we cannot make payment for anything exported before then.

At the moment there’s a longer time frame than usual for applications and emails to the SEG team. Any customers still waiting to be set up may wish to cancel their SEG application with OVO and re-apply elsewhere as a different supplier may be able to register them quicker. It's not ideal by any means but unfortunately we can't process any quicker than we currently are.

Hope this helps outline your options,

Tim

I am moving my FIT account from my old energy company to OVO. (only six months trying as yet) It is coming close to time for my next reading, 30th June, Do I send my reading to my old suplier or to OVO. As I have had no confirmation the my account has moved, are my details still with the old company or are they with OVO.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It’ll be whichever supplier asks for the readings. That’s all I can say

Userlevel 1

This is a poor answer from OVO.  Does OVO really want to respond to SEG Applications at all? OVO may have a time target to process applications which they ought to tell you about.  40 days ago on 17/5/23 I forwarded what I think are the documents which OVO says it wants and I have received nothing back yet.  

Does anyone have any relevant recent experience?

Userlevel 1

I have just done an internet search looking for the best SEG rates.  Octopus and OVO are in the top of the list, especially for their own customers.  See www.theecoexperts.co.uk/solar-panels and so on.  As an OVO customer with a battery, I should be able to get 20p/kWh.  So why is my application so delayed?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I’m fairly sure that the 20p rate from OVO is only if you purchase your solar panels and battery from OVO as per this link https://www.ovoenergy.com/solar-panels

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I’m fairly sure that the 20p rate from OVO is only if you purchase your solar panels and battery from OVO as per this link https://www.ovoenergy.com/solar-panels

Yes @JohnDB 

Only 4p if you don't buy your solar panels from ovo. 

Userlevel 1

www.theecoexperts,co.uk did not mention I needed to get OVO to install the solar panels, in order to get a good export rate, nor did I find this information when I read OVO’s guidance for an SEG application

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

The solar package from OVO is new,  the SEG info should have been recently updated. If not there’s an urgent need to do that!! Also the eco expert’s website.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

www.theecoexperts,co.uk did not mention I needed to get OVO to install the solar panels, in order to get a good export rate, nor did I find this information when I read OVO’s guidance for an SEG application

The eco experts table definitely needs updating. 

If you don't buy solar panels from ovo, then you only get 4p per kWh with the ovo seg whether you are an ovo customer or with another supplier.

Sounds like you may want to have another look at Octopus depending on what you want from your main tariff any  EV etc requirements. 

Wondering if anyone has recently had their SEG approval and how long has it taken?

Submitted ours on 27th April and still waiting. Called the SEG team today and was told ‘they are taking a very long time’!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You need to get your imports from Octopus as well if you want to get the 15p export rate. If you do that you then have a selection of tariffs to choose from. We're on "Cosy Octopus" which gives us cheap electricity during two periods each day. With a battery you could also consider Flux, which offers varying import and export rates through the day. I know people who are making a fair amount of money on Flux.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@JohnDB have you decided what you are going to do? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@RobTed you are probably better off looking for another supplier that processes SEG payments at the moment 

Quite a few posters have recommended Octopus for SEG payments. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @AlanMoorcroft,

Sorry for the delay in your account being set up, I can see @Blastoise186 has already given some helpful advice here. Just wanted to add:

The contact email for the team you want is fits@ovoenergy.com

Alternatively, you can speak to our FiT Team by calling 0330 303 5063 and selecting ‘4’ when the IVR instructs you to do so.

Thank you for that, I have emailed and called them countless times, I had to speak to the complaints team to find out that one of the forms that I had sent was not acceptable. They have had the correct form since 06/06/2023 but still not sorted.

I have given them until the end of July then I am contacting the ombudsman. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @AlanMoorcroft,

I’m really sorry to hear of the experience you’ve had, that sounds like a very stressful situation to be in. 

Hopefully this is resolved by the cut off date you’ve given.

If not, you can find out about our Complaints Procedure on our website, you will need to raise and then escalate a Complaint with OVO before you are able to go to the Ombudsman. You can call 0330 303 5063 or email complaints@ovoenergy.com

Userlevel 1

I’d like to switch to Octopus (assuming they will sell me gas and electricity at competitive rates) in order to get their better SEG rates, but OVO may just be waiting to get a MPAN number for me.  Apparently this is out of OVO’s control and takes 5 weeks, so I’ll give them a bit longer.  Then I’ll try phoning OVO (this will not be easy) to get my MPAN and see if I can use it with Octopus.

Any better ideas?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This is a bit cheeky but if you do decide to move to Octopus you can get £50 in your account by using a referral link... like this one.

https://share.octopus.energy/grey-crick-824

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Is there a draw back of trying to apply for another energy companies seg application , is it possible if an application is in the process. I.e OVO 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

What’s the draw back of changing suppliers mid through An seg application. If so if I change to octopus  or similar what will happen to the seg or does this run separately. I heard u can have energy supplies by OVO in my case but another energy provider pays u money for the seg grant.  Any thoughts?

Userlevel 1

I phoned OVO today and to my pleasant surprise spoke to a human called Peter about my SEG application (made 17/5/23).  He said that my documents had been received, passed on to my local electricity distributor, and had been checked as OK.  However he did not know how long they would take to issue a MPAN and get back to me.  He did however say that I could use the issued MPAN with any supplier, not just OVO.  So I must be very, very patient and then decide what to do next when I have got a MPAN.

Userlevel 6

Hey @JohnDB 

Glad to hear you’ve had a good experience with the Support Team, and they’ve been able to confirm some of the details for you.

Hopefully they get back to you with the rest soon. Keep us updated on how you get on with this.

Hello

I have submitted an application for SEG in december2022 , after many conversation on the phone still have not got anywhere with this. I have supplied the documents several times but keep getting fobbed off by people that don't seem to know what they are talking about. It all  seems to be a big joke. Every time you contact them on the phone its halve an hour of you life wasted.

As you get my tone i’m not a happy bunny

Issue 1 is my flexi- orb certificate good enough as accreditation.

Issue 2 i have generated over 400kwh of electricity to you , will i get my money.

issue 3 I am a new generator  i don't have an export number yet.

Am i better off cutting my losses and moving all my business, gas, electric to another company.

I need to get this sorted out as  i have an electric car coming in two weeks , and was hoping to get onto an ev tarif .  

Thank you 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @nigel10p , 

From what I can see, OVO are listed as an agreed source for the Flexi-Orb cert

https://www.flexi-orb.com/consumers/smart-export-guarantee/

If you don’t already have an export number, I doubt you will get any compensation for any pre generation. 

There are those who suggest using others with a SEG license. Obviously it’s your decision although OVO do seem to have a bit of a lead in their EV tariffs