Solved

Am I allowed to share my Vehicle-to-Grid (V2G) charger with other EV owners in need of charge via Zap-map?

• 15 October 2019
  • 19 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

I would like to add my charger to the zap map, not for profit but for helping out others who are in need of a bit of juice. I wonder if we are allowed to do that?

Andras

icon

Best answer by Ash_OVO 27 March 2020, 17:35

View original

19 replies

Userlevel 7

I would like to add my charger to the zap map, not for profit but for helping out others who are in need of a bit of juice. I wonder if we are allowed to do that?

Good question this,@Andras 

In principle it’s a yes, as long as the car supports CHAdeMO and the charger is used just for charging, eg. in Boost mode. It’s worth pointing out that we would take no responsibility for car makes other than Nissan LEAF or eNV200 using the V2G unit.

Does anyone else do something similarly as kind @Peetee @Absolute Zero @falklandkid ?

Userlevel 5
Badge

Thanks @Tim_OVO for clarifying that! There are not many chademo chargers in my area, there is no worse feeling, when you are anxious of your ev range. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

@Andras 

This is an awesome idea. I have been sharing my charging point since I have had it installed. Its an awesome way to speak with other EV owners too 😁 we are a growing community and it's only a matter of time until this is the norm.

Userlevel 5

It is a slow CHAdeMO charger, there is a risk that someone will turn up expecting a quick 20 minutes and be faced with hours to charge their vehicle.

Userlevel 5
Badge

It is a slow CHAdeMO charger, there is a risk that someone will turn up expecting a quick 20 minutes and be faced with hours to charge their vehicle.

Yes, but its better than nothing. You can set it so people have to call you to arrange a charge so you can explain this. I also indicated that its a 7 kW charger under the info icon on Zap-Map. I found that charging between 30%-80% takes just over an hour with it. It is a lot slower if the battery is under 30%.  

Userlevel 7
Badge

I believe ZapMap asks you what Kw the charger is when you add it. I can’t remember. It’s been nearly 2 years since I added mine.

Userlevel 5

I believe ZapMap asks you what Kw the charger is when you add it. I can’t remember. It’s been nearly 2 years since I added mine.

Likely true, but zapmap does have errors so people may just assume the charge rate is an error.

Userlevel 7
Badge

Very true. But it’s nice to this app as well as plugshare. But I shall say no more. I am currently writing a topic for the best apps to use for EV owners :kissing_heart:

Userlevel 5

Oh dear my posts are now being put in a queue for checking by the mods.

Wonder what I’ve done wrong. *shrug*

I was trying to  reply that Plugshare may be more appropriate than ZapMap. At least edit still works.

Userlevel 7
Badge

That's strange @NoPoke might be worth speaking with Tim or Nancy or Amy to see what's going on

Userlevel 5
Badge

Yes, but there are only 25 and 50 KW options for Chademo at the moment.

Userlevel 7
Badge

Yes, but there are only 25 and 50 KW options for Chademo at the moment.

Are you using V2G on a 2014 Nissan Leaf?

Userlevel 4

Updated on 23/08/2022 by Jess_OVO

Great question from an altruistic EV member!

The Vehicle-to-grid charger supplied as part of our V2G trial would charge other vehicles, although we do state that it’s not supported for vehicles other than the Leaf or the e-NV200, so you’d be free to share this for use with others but drivers of other models would be charging at their own risk. Also worth noting, that If any visitors are driving a Nissan Leaf or an e-NV200m just remember to hit that Boost button, or they may end up exporting. Good for you, bad for them!

Our V2G trial has moved to the next phase and is no longer accepting new participants - read more about this here.

Some trialists have been sharing an update on the impact the V2G charger has had on their energy costs over here.

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hello @Andras. It would charge other vehicles, although we do state that it’s not supported for vehicles other than the Leaf or the e-NV200, so use it at their own risk. Also worth noting, that If any visitors are driving a Nissan Leaf or an e-NV200m just remember to hit that Boost button, or they may end up exporting. Good for you, bad for them!

Wish I had the charger to know haha. I believe I have been emailing you. I send the pictures. Let me know what you think.

Userlevel 4

Hello @ITGeek123 

I hope you’re well. 

The photos would have been forwarded to the operations team over at ChargedEV as they complete the Smart+ installs. They should be in touch shortly, however, should you need any updates, feel free to drop me a line!

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hey @Ash_OVO 

Thank you dude. I doubt I will hear anything back today. Have an awesome weekend whatever you have planned! Me? I have Doom Eternal to smash through and then… forever playing Animal crossing on the switch. :joy:

Userlevel 4

@ITGeek123 haha you never know! They’re typically very good with response times, so I’m sure it will be early in the next week, I’ll give them a cheeky prod if not! 

As for the weekend, thank you! I hope you do as well! It sounds like we have similar weekends lined up, although I’ll be playing through some old school AC: Black Flag on the Xbox One X haha!

Userlevel 7
Badge

@Ash_OVO if it wasn't on the Xbox one X I would've disapproved 😂 have an awesome weekend dude

Userlevel 7

@NoPoke @Andras I have restored your comments that were flagged - not sure what set off the spam filter there!