News

A thank you to all our V2G trialists: what happens next?

A thank you to all our V2G trialists: what happens next?
Userlevel 7

Here’s everything you need to know about what happens to your charger, the V2G app, and more once your trial ends. 

It’s been a fantastic few years for our V2G trial and we’ve learned so much about both the technology and the part it'll play in the future of energy.

If you’ve been involved in the trial, we want to say a big thank you – we couldn’t have done it without you! And, remember, the charger is yours to keep once the trial ends. After all, you’ve helped both us and the world of V2G tech a whole lot!

Since it’s yours, you decide who powers it. So while we hope you’ll stay with us, if your trial has ended, you’re welcome to change who supplies your home.

We’re proud to power your home and EV

We hope you’ll stay when your trial ends, but if you did decide to leave OVO Energy, while you’ll keep your charger, you won’t be able to log into the V2G app powered by Kaluza. This means your charger will lose its smart features and you won’t earn OVO V2G credits.

We’ll also have to delete any historical charging data stored on your account in line with our privacy policy – so if you’d like to keep it, we recommend downloading your data in the app or taking a screenshot ahead of switching away from us. 

As the owner of the charger, you’ll be responsible for taking care of repairs and maintenance. If you have any problems with your charger, you’ll need to get in touch with Indra at support@indra.co.uk

Stay with us for great export rates

We hope you’ve enjoyed being part of our early V2G community. If your trial has ended or will end soon, it’s really important to us that you keep on getting a great deal selling energy back to the grid.

That’s why we’ve recently been in touch to tell you about our new V2G export rates, which you can earn up to 31 December 2022. 

Our export rate from 1 July 2022 

• Your import rate + 11p if you also have solar panels
  • Your import rate + 15p if you don’t have solar panels

Stay with us on the journey to a greener future

We know a smarter, connected energy grid powered by more renewable energy is one of the best ways to fight the climate crisis. That’s why our V2G trial is just one of the ways we’re helping to get more green energy tech into people’s homes.

If you’re interested in taking part in future tech trials, please visit our website to register your interest and we’ll be in touch.

For now, that’s everything – we hope you enjoy using your V2G charger for years to come!

33 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks for the update @Jess_OVO

I wasn't part of the trial but have just registered on the link you provided for future tech trials. 

Badge

Hi, thanks for update.  I understand the trial is over and you’re not looking to develop this phase of V2G further.  What is a shame is you have no ‘time of use’ products to better utilise the existing V2G capability.  It just so happens I try and set my charge when the carbon is at its lowest in the grid. But nothing in OVO’s tariff encourages this to happen currently.  Largely we can charge anytime and look to export 4pm onwards.  Other companies trialing better ToU products which fit well with V2G/V2H concept.  It’s a shame Drive Anytime isn’t compatible with V2G.  Is there anything in the foreseeable future which is with hanging on for? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @Jess_OVO ,

Just wanted to clarify this part 

We hope you’ll stay when your trial ends, but if you did decide to leave OVO Energy, while you’ll keep your charger, you won’t be able to log into the V2G app powered by Kaluza. This means your charger will lose its smart features and you won’t earn OVO V2G credits.

I assume this also applies after the 31st of December? ie  whether we remain with OVO or not, the charger will still become a “dumb” charger with no V2G capability or even any charge limit and charging time capabilities?

If so is it possible to get it removed after the 31st of December?

Thanks

Kihon

Userlevel 7

Hi @kihon and thanks for posting this question. I’ll add an EV bade to your profile in a sec…

The V2G charger will remain functional now and beyond the 31st December, including the Kaluza app, as long as you stay on supply with OVO. More detail below:

Helpful to know before your switch happens:

The charger is now all yours! However, your charger will lose its smart features once you leave us. Instead, it’ll work like a standard home charger and charge as soon as you plug in.

Once you’ve moved to your new supplier, you won’t be able to log into the V2G web app, earn our V2G export credits, or get troubleshooting support from us.

We’ll also need to delete your charging data from the app once you’ve left, in line with our privacy policy. We recommend downloading your data from the app or taking a screenshot of anything you’d like to keep as soon as possible.

As the owner of the charger, you’ll be responsible for taking care of repairs and maintenance. If you have any problems with your charger, you’ll need to get in touch with Indra at support@indra.co.uk

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

The V2G charger will remain functional now and beyond the 31st December, including the Kaluza app, as long as you stay on supply with OVO. More detail below:

I’ve still got a V2G charger going, post trial.  My understanding is that Ovo pay for exports, but stop paying them in Jan 2023.  Is my understanding right, or is the Ovo future unwritten yet?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

As the energy cap is now an horrendous 52p an 11/15p uplift is pathetic. You take in the roundtrip efficiencies and slight battery degradation youll be lucky if anyone breaks even unless they have solar. Whats ovo stance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

To be honest… It’s better to be using the battery than let it just sit there rotting away. Seriously. If you leave giant Lithium-Ion or Lithium-Polymer battery packs just idling away at constant full charge for too long, it can cause serious damage and shred the lifespan of the pack.

V2G kinda helps simulate a more natural behaviour even when the vehicle isn’t being used. for a while Plus, you’re getting some extra cash to help cover the costs. What’s not to like?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

To be honest… It’s better to be using the battery than let it just sit there rotting away. Seriously. If you leave giant Lithium-Ion or Lithium-Polymer battery packs just idling away at constant full charge for too long, it can cause serious damage and shred the lifespan of the pack.

V2G kinda helps simulate a more natural behaviour even when the vehicle isn’t being used. for a while Plus, you’re getting some extra cash to help cover the costs. What’s not to like?

I get that i have had an ev for 5years so do understand especially being an engineer. Never charged an ev to no more than 90% unless long journey. Just workout your roundtrip losses then equate the 11/15p to 52p thats  25% ish of import with a roundtrip circa 85/87% your making circa 10% on a kw import and thats the payment for your battery. Would you not agree...

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Given that we don’t get a break down of the amount exported to the grid (Only the payment) it is hard to verify, but Ovo have stated several times they actually pay more than the stated 11/15p to compensate for round trip losses.

Kihon

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Given that we don’t get a break down of the amount exported to the grid (Only the payment) it is hard to verify, but Ovo have stated several times they actually pay more than the stated 11/15p to compensate for round trip losses.

Kihon

Kihon you need to read this. its 11 and 15p respectively

https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/v2g-export-rates?fbclid=IwAR3KaNKtbqwRaXz5Z7Nv2ELWyn0yZOIW24CmQJHOOn683oyqumT5V4mHUjk

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @Jess_OVO ,

With the current situation with the grid, and the steps taken by various power companies to try and reduce peak time demand, is Ovo considering extending the V2G trial? Would the number of current users on V2G be able to make a difference?

Thanks

Kihon

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @kihon ,

I’m sorry, but Jess has moved on from the forum and is no longer active here. I’m redirecting your question to @Emmanuelle_OVO .

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Kihon. I think they should or atleast have a tou tarrif for us with a decent rate and maybe allow v2h. The amount of people leaving after trial i think must be quite high. Also us v2g people dont use energy at peak times 4 till 7 yet export in the high tarrif time how do we get paid to reduce usage when already zero but helping grid out. Personally its ridiculous how badly this has been thought through on the v2g trial. Which is a shame as its all part of a big future in regards energy storage and use

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I guess it depends on how many people are still on the trial. If it is only a handful, it is unlikely to make much difference either way. If there are many people still on the trial, the reduction of their export during peak time plus the increase in usage at peak time may have an impact.

As you mention, the Ovo flexible time trial is not really usable by anyone on the V2G tariff.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Agree. To me currently the best option is octopus go and try and get on indra v2h. You get best of both worlds then plus good export on solar. Thats why said ovo get you skates on

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Rishtonleaf are you able to get on Indra v2h with the current V2G charger? They seemed to imply that they would need to install a new charger at our cost?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@kihon indra is your v2g charger. Well mine is. If you apply for v2h then if accepted theirs 2 choices i believe.

1. Use your current charger when trial is completed but indra reprogram for a fee to make it v2h or

2. Buy a new unit for a fee and get 12months warranty. But youd have the old charger to sell.

Thats my understanding.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Right Forum im leaving. OVO just didn't take the V2G seriously on multiple levels. The support centre was wound up very early. DD estimations woeful.The remuneration was pitiful considering most charging was overnight at low rates, yet charged us full day rates so they didnt really lose anything. Just hope they start realizing they need to change for the better for its community members and environment. TOU supplier here i go!

Role on V2H :)

Userlevel 7

Thanks for this honest feedback, @Rishtonleaf. No need to leave the forum just because you’re switching supplier. 

I’d love to hear how you’re finding V2G on a TOU tariff in a month or two. is that the Indra trial and/or Octopus? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Tim_OVO 

To be honest Tim ive worked out over the winter months its cheaper for me to not use v2g on a tou tarriff. Ok in summer the solar is the big winner. The v2g will become a dumb charger so im told but my plan was always to write a script to turn it into a v2h when the trial was over if nothing good happened after trial period. Which unfortunately didnt. To me the trial seemed to fall flat after the first 6months and being a professional engineer thats sad. But also looks like indra looking at v2h and setting tou on units. Using solar thro day to maintain house and charge car or maybe another battery if no car connected which is win win to me. V2H also puts less strain on car due to not exporting all the capacity within a few peak hours . V2H should get me from returning home till midnight then tou kicks in to charge on cheap rate. Seriously Tim OVO need to review this whole area for the trialists still left and yes ill bob back as you say.

Dave

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Rishtonleaf how were you planning on turning the V2G charger into a V2H? As far as I understand, we dont have access to any interface which would allow us to control anything?

I was hoping that I could just use my charger for the V2H trial, however I dont feel like paying extra for it. I might as well just get a battery system installed, given the car may well not be home while the solar generation is active.

Thanks

Kihon

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Believe Indra charging 250 to reprogram so im told.

Ive not torn into charger but it will communicate to an ip address eg kaluza. Simplest way i was thinking about was to redefine ip address or change programming within. Its just how to reverse engineer but above my station but have colleagues who program automotive vehicles so to reverse engineer wouldnt be to hard but still wtg on Indra before go down that route

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Believe Indra charging 250 to reprogram so im told.

Ive not torn into charger but it will communicate to an ip address eg kaluza. Simplest way i was thinking about was to redefine ip address or change programming within. Its just how to reverse engineer but above my station but have colleagues who program automotive vehicles so to reverse engineer wouldnt be to hard but still wtg on Indra before go down that route

Technically, that’d be hacking which might get you into trouble. I probably wouldn’t recommend it.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Blastoise186 How can i be done for hacking something that belongs to me, eg the Indra V2G unit you re address the source ip to another ip which could be simply on my home network or get the script re-written within the unit, which you own.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Rishtonleaf ,@Blastoise186 I would also suspect that the communication between the Charger and the server would be encrypted, which would make it very difficult to reverse engineer.