Pinned F.A.Q.

Traditional Pay As You Go: topping up your key and card meter

Traditional Pay As You Go: topping up your key and card meter
Userlevel 7

Updated on 26/03/24 by Abby_OVO

Frequently asked questions for topping up your traditional meter

Topping up for the first time?

To register your new electricity key or gas card, put it into the correct meter for at least a minute. The electricity meter will show a message to let you know it's registered, and the gas meter will beep.

How much credit can I top up in one go?

This depends on where you’re topping up, as different shops can have different minimum amounts. But these are the usual top-up limits:

• The minimum you can top up is £1

• The maximum you can top up your gas meter in one go is £49 

• The maximum you can top up your electricity meter in one go is £50 

• You can only top up in full pounds 

• The maximum amount a payment card can hold is £249 and the most a key can hold is £250

How do I add credit to my meter?

To top up your meter, take your top-up card or key to:

Once you’ve topped up, follow the instructions below.

For gas meters

• Insert your card into the gas meter and follow the instructions on the screen.

• Make sure the gold-coloured chip is facing the meter display. Press and hold the red ‘A’ button, and the credit will appear on your meter.

For electricity meters

• Insert your key into the electricity meter, and follow the instructions on the screen. 

• Make sure the arrow on the key is facing upwards. The new credit should show automatically.

If you’ve topped up at a shop, keep your receipt each time just in case. If the money doesn’t appear in your meter, we’ll need to look into it for you.

My key/card isn’t working – what should I do?

We recommend taking the key/card out of the meter and wiping the chip with a clean, dry cloth. If you re-insert it in the meter and it still doesn’t work, please get in touch with us and we can send you a replacement.

Is your meter showing an ‘error code’ when you insert your key/card? Was there an error code when the shop assistant popped your key or card in a PayPoint terminal? If so, note the error code down and compare it to the list of codes we’ve listed in our guide on error codes here. That’ll help us work out how to fix the issue quicker when you contact our Support team (Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, and 9am to 5pm on weekends).

I've lost my top-up key/card – what do I do?

You can get a new meter key/card from any shop that stocks replacement OVO Energy keys/cards.

But before you go, you’ll need to contact our Support team to let us know you’re going to get a new key/card. We’ll provide you with an 8-digit ‘TAG’ code within an hour. Give this code to the shop assistant and they’ll be able to set up your new key/card with our rates and other relevant information so you can register it when you get home.If you don’t need to top-up urgently, we can send you an already programmed key/card in the post. You’ll get it within 3-5 days.

Before you add any credit with your new key/card, please register it in the meter. If you try to do a top-up before registering your key/card, the credit could be wiped.

If I pay in advance, how can I owe money?

There are a few different ways:

• You used the emergency credit to keep your power on. If this happens, you’ll need to pay back the amount you used. If you need to do this gradually, get in touch via one of the methods below to discuss spreading the cost of the repayment. 

• You’re repaying a debt through your Pay As You Go meter(s), which will take credit from your balance each day to repay your debt. 

• If you've asked us to apply discretionary credit to your meter, we’ll add this as a debt to your meter. You’ll need to repay it through your Pay As You Go meter(s).

• You missed one or more daily standing charge payments due to not having enough credit. This would mean your meter goes into a negative balance.

• You were in a period of “non-disconnect” overnight or on the weekend (this means you wouldn’t run out of electricity at these times). But as a result, you might’ve built up a negative balance.

You can always contact our Support team if you’re worried or struggling to pay for your energy. 

How will I pay my debt back on a traditional Pay As You Go meter?

If you use any emergency credit, you'll need to pay it back in full from your next top-up. So if you can, make sure you buy enough credit to pay back the emergency credit, and still have some left for you to use for energy.

If you're paying back a bill debt or we lend you some credit when you contact us, we’ll agree how you’ll pay it back at the time. We can spread the cost and you won’t need to pay it back in one go. You can pay it off gradually through your meter, a week at a time.

Part of your gas top-ups will be used for your weekly repayments. This is collected from the first top-up you make from Wednesday each week. Your electricity repayments will be spread out evenly throughout the week. So please make sure you’re making regular top-ups to cover these repayments and the energy you use.

If the repayment rate is ever set too high, please contact our Support team. For information on how to check your repayment rate, see "Understanding your electricity meter screens” or "Understanding your gas meter screens". We’re here to support you and we’ll always find a repayment plan that works for you. Once you've repaid the credit we lent you, your meter will automatically stop taking repayments. You’ll just pay for the energy you use from then on.

Why do I have to keep my supply topped up if I'm not using any energy?

Even though you might not be using any energy, there's a daily standing charge. Also, any debt you might be repaying through your meter will continue to be charged. So if you're away from home or not using any energy for a period of time, please make sure there's enough credit in the meter to prevent the supply from going off. If not, any appliances that need continuous supply, such as your fridge or freezer, might be at risk.

Anything missed?

We’ll aim to update this content  to keep it relevant and accurate. If any of the advice doesn’t fit with your experience, leave a comment below to let us know. 

51 replies

I’ve received my new Oviedo gas card, i have money still on my old card how can get the money on my old card to new one?

How do I get my money from the old sse card to the new ovo one please?

Userlevel 7

Hi @1meercat and thanks for posting this. 

If you have non-smart (traditional) prepayment meters, and you’ve still got credit on your old card, I’d recommend you carry on using the old card till that credit is on the meter and that you run down that credit. Do this before you insert your new OVO prepayment cards. 

If you have a smart meter, that credit should be transferred over to your OVO balance shortly after your supply start date. 

Hi @1meercat and thanks for posting this. 

If you have non-smart (traditional) prepayment meters, and you’ve still got credit on your old card, I’d recommend you carry on using the old card till that credit is on the meter and that you run down that credit. Do this before you insert your new OVO prepayment cards. 

If you have a smart meter, that credit should be transferred over to your OVO balance shortly after your supply start date. 

the letter from OVO about the move from SSE to OVO doesn't say such a thing of using the old credit. It says no need to do anything

Userlevel 7

Hey @borderline,

The old credit won’t be transferred onto the new card, you’ll need to use the old credit. Then when that runs out you can top up the new card.

Hope this helps. 

Hey @borderline,

The old credit won’t be transferred onto the new card, you’ll need to use the old credit. Then when that runs out you can top up the new card.

Hope this helps. 

I don't have a card. I have a key and I”m still using the same key, I was not sent a new key, the letter I received from OVO says I don’t have to do anything

Userlevel 7

Hey @borderline,

If you haven’t been sent a new card you should be fine to continue using the current one. If it stops working, or you’d like a replacement you can contact the support team and follow the instructions in this FAQ. 

Please help, I have no Electricity, I'm a Single Parent with 2 kids, I went to Top up my Meter with my Key which did work, I called Ovo 4.30 and was told to collect my new Key from local shop,I went down and they had no idea what I was talking about, said they don't have any Meter Keys and don't deal with Ovo, I came Home called again and been on hold for almost 3 Hours, my Electricity has ran out and Ovo close at 8pm. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Ldh2005Lorraine ,

Call 105 in this case, they might be able to help.

However, in the long run you’re probably going to want to upgrade to Smart Meters and consider switching to Pay Monthly to avoid this issue.

The forum moderators have been told about this thread.

Thank you, I have called twice for a Smart Meter  twice I've had people come out and twice they said they can't do it. No luck lol x

Userlevel 7

Hey @Ldh2005Lorraine,

Really sorry to hear this,

Is your issue resolved now? Are you back on supply?

If you’re unable to top up, customer support should be able to give you discretionary credit until the new key arrives. If there’s a meter fault which is preventing you from getting back onto supply they should be able to book an emergency appointment. 

How to get in contact about my OVO Pay As You Go account

• The best way to get in touch with us is via chat here. Just click the green chat icon on the bottom right of your screen. We’re here to help anytime from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 2pm on Saturday.
  • Or call us on 0330 175 9669 during the same times.

If you’re with Boost

You mentioned you have children, if you or anyone in your household is vulnerable, or just needs a little extra assistance at a difficult time in your lives, our Priority Services Register is a free support service you might find useful.

If you’re not sure Pay As You Go is right for you, and are interested in switching to pay monthly you can contact the Pay As You Go Support Team. This means you won’t go off supply.

Hope this helps.

Struggling with your energy bills? Our Winter Support Package might be helpful to you.

Been switched not received top up card 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Have you been in touch with customer support @Jackie123 ? No one here has access to your account

Read the post people answer then stick me back in the queue 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Read the post people answer then stick me back in the queue 

All your post says is ‘Been switched not received top up card’ ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It’s worth bearing in mind that myself and @BPLightlog are both forum volunteers - we don’t work for OVO and we can’t access internal systems, nor your account.

As much as we’d like to have a TARDIS and X-Ray Vision, it’s a power far beyond our reach and unfortunately, vague posts don’t help us much either.

If you want us to give you advice that’s actually useful, you need to help us out first by expanding your question. Things like whether you were switched from SSE, joined recently, are on OVO or Boost are good examples.

Unfortunately, without this info it’s almost impossible for us to do much.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Jackie123,

Really sorry to hear of the issues you’re having,

How to get in contact about my OVO Pay As You Go account

• The best way to get in touch with us is via chat here. Just click the green chat icon on the bottom right of your screen. We’re here to help anytime from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 2pm on Saturday.
  • Or call us on 0330 175 9669 during the same times.

If you’re with Boost

Hi can I use my SSE top up cards now I'm switched to OVO.

Will I automatically get new cards from.OVO

I connected to OVO .easy to use Pay as you go 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @MarieMc ,

What cards are you using? Smart Meter based cards or Traditional Meter based key/cards?

It's my parents, they use cards to pay money to their Gas & Electricity. But now OVO have taken over they don't have new cards yet.

Userlevel 7

Hey @MarieMc,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community,

This topic should be helpful to you:

You’ll need to contact our Support team to let us know you’re going to get a new key/card. These should have been posted, they can also check if these are already out in the post, if not they’ll get them arranged for you.

Hi Can someone help please I have had no heating or hot water since this morning. Spoke to a colleague at 11am and he said after 40 minutes I would be able to re-enable my meter but I still have no gas. I have topped up twice now and when I go to my meter to try and re-enable it just brings up options like check log? Doesnt allow me to arm the meter or input my top up manually. It is an A and B meter

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Sorry, but “A and B meter” doesn’t tell us anything about what you’ve got - there’s tons of possibilities.

Please provide us with a few photos of the meter - including at least one with the display clearly visible and readable so we can see what it says.

I have topped up £30 yesterday and nothing is showing on my meter I have no gas. I spoke to OVO yesterday and they said they would manually add the top up their end and after 40 minutes ’ARM’ would be on the meter and I co re-enable it. However these are the only 6 options I get when pressing A on the meter. There is no option to manually input my 20 digit top up code. Pictures attatched.