Should OVO stop all unwanted switches to PAYG meters - discussion

• 2 February 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Major suppliers are starting to announce the suspension of unwanted switches to PAYG meters.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64504609

It would be good if OVO did the same. 

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @Jeffus and thanks for posting this. Very delayed on my response.

I’ve moved this over to the (new) ‘My Pay As You Go Account’ category, from Forum Ideas, as this doesn’t fall within the remit of OVO Ideas which focuses on OVO’s digital tools. 

I’m keen to have a space for discussion on this subject.

OVO can confirm we have suspended all warrant activity since November and continue to do so. Over a 6 month period, there are a number of steps taken on the debt recovery journey, including attempts to contact the customer by personal visit to their property where no previous contact has been made, including visually checking the property for signs of vulnerability.

Alongside this we have OVO’s Customer Support Package, which includes payment holidays on debt recovery over the colder months.

Userlevel 1

The biggest issue isn’t putting people that can’t or won’t pay monthly onto prepayments. It’s the courts rubber-stamping these companies without the proper checks either from the courts themselves or the energy companies.

“yeah, go ahead” needs to end.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Energy companies are taking advantage of the courts being overwhelmed and unable to spend time checking each application. They're also using disreputable companies to do the work. The Times exposed a dodgy company being used by British Gas and I doubt it's the only one.