F.A.Q.

Pay As You Go smart meters and In Home Displays (IHDs)

Pay As You Go smart meters and In Home Displays (IHDs)

Show first post

33 replies

How would I do that and also it's on the app and can't see that number on the electronic receipt 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hmm… Support might need to retrieve it in that case

Yes and not open today I have tried 

Userlevel 6

Hi @Sarahg 

Sorry about the issues you were experiencing.

Did you speak with the Support Team to get this sorted?

Heya all

A few questions if that's OK?

1) recently changed to a smart meter and I'm not getting regular balance updates on top up app, I had one before Christmas and then another yesterday but it's not even my current balance it's from the first is this normal and if so when does it update and if not how can I get it to update in real time?, I'm using the app as I live on the top floor of a old building and the screen that connects to the meter won't reach which is silly especially when the app doesn't update frequently.

2) is the OVO energy app also to do with pay as you go as I've made an account for that but every time I log in it says I need to update my password I need to click the link to go to the website to make a new password to allow me to log in I then go to click on the link to change my password and it then tells me they're making me a website for me and it'll be ready at the end of 2023 which obviously it's now the new year and still no change is this normal and does anyone know how long it'll take and also whether I've made a accounts on the wrong app.

3) are all the call support centres all in India or Nigeria as if I speak to them on webchat about these things they have no idea what I'm talking about and I get sent on a wild goose chase trying to make them understand and jist as I think they understand me they then ramble on about something completely different or disconnect me and I have to start the whole ordeal again just to get nowhere, if I call them I have almost the same problem but I'm unable to understand what they're saying as they talk in broken english or the call centres are that busy I can't even hear what they're saying, are there any call centres in the UK ? (I'm not racist or rude to them just so everyone knows) I'm just getting to the point I feel like changing for some better customer service also I've found out they're one of the most expensive providers and being on benefits I'm thinking about changing.

4) does anyone know why for every app and the website and this forum I have to make separate accounts and they don't all just run off one account as at this point I have 4 accounts for OVO?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Joshua David ,

I’m a Forum Volunteer here. We don’t work for OVO.

If you only had those meters installed recently, it takes up to six weeks to fully commission. Things may not be fully stable during this time, so please wait for a bit longer.

If you’re on PAYG, the only app you can use is OVO Top-Up. Please don’t use MyOVO or the OVO Energy app - they won’t work.

OVO does have UK call centres. However, Live Chat tends to be easier anyway. You are asking them things that most people don’t mind you, and most CS agents don’t know the answers to literally every question ever.

OVO’s prices for PAYG are pretty much the same as everyone else - you won’t get a better deal by switching away. You probably won’t get much better customer service either elsewhere tbh.

As for the accounts? They run on separate systems - especially this forum - and can’t easily be merged. You only usually need no more than two however but you created a few extras that you probably shouldn’t have.

Ok I'll give it a try as I get free credit next month, I disagree with the customer service though as I was on the phone to octopus energy yesterday and the customer service was a lot better with a lot more information the woman I spoke too answered all my questions and more and she was really kind too, she ended up calling me back too and then part of that call wasn't even to do with electricity just her being polite asking me how I was and just generally having a chat and I could understand her which all of these are a huge bonus as that's what I really want from customer survive especially when I paying a company money, I want answers to my questions and I want them now not months down the road but still only having just the minimal answer to my question which most of the time leave me with more questions, I also like the fact that I don't feel like I'm just walking talking money, when she went through the breakdown of how much things would cost me and it's significantly cheaper than what I worked out OVO would cost going on what I'm payimg at the moment, in the long run if things keep on the way they are I'll end up paying around £460 give or take £30 a month on electricity where as with them I'd be paying £100 give or take £30 a month and that's for high energy consumption as I think I'd be like mid tier as much as I live in a flat I game, my heating is electric, I think the only benefit I get with OVO is the heating scheme of £150 but that's only a one off payment which I don't get till next month.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Joshua David,

If you’re referring to the ‘Warm Home discount’ Octopus may also be eligible to give this payment. 

You’ll have to wait until you receive it from OVO this year, but next years payment would be given by your new provider.

You can find out more about the scheme here