F.A.Q.

Pay As You Go smart meters and In Home Displays (IHDs)

Pay As You Go smart meters and In Home Displays (IHDs)
Userlevel 7

Updated on 13/03/24 by Emmanuelle_OVO:

How to use your Pay As You Go Smart Meter 

We’ve pulled together some frequently asked questions all about your smart meters and In Home Displays (IHDs). 

Can the IHD warn me when I’m getting low on credit?

Yes, a message will appear on your main menu screen. Then, if you don’t top up straightaway, your IHD will send you another message when your credit is almost used up. At that stage it’ll ask if you want to activate your emergency credit.

Want to know more about your IHD? Check out these helpful guides:

Why is my IHD balance different from my app balance?

The app balance (available in the Apple App Store or Google Playgets updated once a day after midnight. If you've used energy or topped up since midnight, then your app balance will be out of date. 

It might also be that your meter isn’t communicating with us, in which case your balance won't update in the app. But your IHD will usually communicate with your meter throughout the day to stay up to date.

How can I check my debt balance or repayment rate on my meter?

Help is at hand via your IHD: 

• Press the menu button and use the arrows to flip through the menus until you see 'debt' 

• Select OK on the relevant fuel to see info on your debt and repayment rate

How do I activate my emergency credit?

(Secure Meter electricity)

(Secure Gas)

(EDMI)

(EDMI Gas) 

(Landis & Gyr)

(Landis & Gyr gas)

(Elster)

(Elster Gas)

Your IHD will prompt you when your balance reaches £2. Don’t worry if you missed your emergency credit prompt – you can still activate it when your balance is below £2.

How do I know how much credit I have on my meter?

For first generation smart meters (with a keypad), press 7 to see your balance. You can also press 5 to see any debt you have left to pay.

For second generation meters (one with 2 buttons on the electricity meter and 3 buttons on the gas, such as our Aclara electricity or Flonidan gas smart meter) your balance will always display on your IHD home screen and on the screen of the meter itself.

Not sure if your meter is SMETS1 or SMETS2? Don’t worry, we have the following Tutorials:

What if I’m having issues with my smart IHD?

If you're experiencing any issues with your IHD, you can chat to us here – click the green chat icon at the bottom right of your screen. Or call us on 0330 175 9669 and we’ll be able to help.

Pay As You Go Smart meter guides

Have a look below for the guide that matches your meter – just click to open and download it. In these guides, we’ll explain the essentials – like topping up, using emergency credit, and getting help when you need it. We’ll show you how to get the most out of your smart meter and make your home more energy efficient.

You should be able to find your meter type on your meter. If you need some help you can contact us by chat here. Just click the green chat icon on the bottom right of your screen (8am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 2pm on Saturday). Or call us on 0330 175 9669 during the same times.

SMETS1 Secure Guide

SMETS1 Aclara Guide

SMETS2 Aclara Guide

SMETS1 Elster Guide

SMETS2 Elster Guide

SMETS2 EDMI Guide

SMETS2 LNG Guide

Got a question about your Pay As You Go energy use, top-ups, keys, cards, or anything else? Why not see if you can find the answers in our dedicated Pay As You Go Forum category.

There are also tons of helpful resources and information available on our OVO Help pages.  

If you or anyone in your household is vulnerable, or just needs a little extra assistance at a difficult time in your lives, our Priority Services Register is a free support service you might find useful.

Struggling with your energy bills? Our Winter Support Package might be helpful to you.

33 replies

Tutorials are ok if you actually have one to look at

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Sue grig ,

Which one were you after? If we’ve got it here, we can grab a link easily. Otherwise, we’d be happy to write one.

If it’s an IHD you’re after, try this one.

Ive never had one since moving in and company keep telling me theres a delay on them,but i think 13months is beyond a joke now.

Userlevel 7

Are you with OVO, @Sue grig? We should be able to sort you an In Home Display (IHD) if you’re prepayment and have a type of smart meter that we have IHDs for...

If you’re not with OVO, you might consider sourcing one yourself which blastoise outlines here:

Yes i am and i have been asking for one for over a year and i  just keep getting fobed  off with a comment there is a  back log

Userlevel 7

Can you confirm your electricity smart meter type, or if you’re not sure, send over a picture?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yup, that’s S2 so it should be possible to get you an IHD. Have you never had one?

No,we moved in last march and have been trying to get one off you ever since

Are you getting me one ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I can’t arrange that as I don’t work for OVO.

Try this guide:

Hi I had a smart meter installed Friday 30th June as my traditional pay as you go meter stopped working. The screen on the meter has not changed since Friday. Will it automatically register so that I can top up online. It is not showing usage either. Is this normal with a new meter as I'm totally new to all this. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @Sezel66 ,

I’m one of the volunteers here.

Sounds like things might need a kickstart. Give the team a call on 0330 175 9669 in the morning and they can check it all for you.

Hi. Thankyou. I'll give them a call in the morning. What app do I use to top up. Thankyou 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If you’re with OVO, it’d be this one:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.paypoint.ovo

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/ovo-energy-top-up/id1604878627

Bless u. Thankyou so much

It's asking for 19 digit number on card. I don't have one . I'm assuming they will send me one ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

PAYG Support can generate that PAN for you and provide it. Once you tap that into the app, it’ll work for both in-app top-ups and to generate a barcode for in-store top-ups.

Great. Thankyou for yr help.

I added credit through my app 24 hours ago but still not on my meter yet I have received an email and money has been taken for the credit

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You should have a UTRN Code on the receipt - use that and the credit will be applied manually.

I did it on the app with a bank card though

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Was this for Pay Monthly?

If so, chat with Support tomorrow. https://help.ovoenergy.com .

They can fix this

I will call tomorrow and no it's pre payment just wondered if anyone had any ideas

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Could be signal issues. The UTRN Code will let you force the top-up through manually.