Solved

Pay as you go smart meter installed today, but I can't top up through the OVO app or account - why?

• 3 November 2023
  • 8 replies

Had a payg smart meter installed today , I have been on the online chat twice to try and sort out how to top it up ,downloaded the app as instructed but it only allows me to pay gas bill , panicking a bit now as there is only £9 credit on the meter its Friday night and despite my best efforts it has nor been resolved .No card has been supplied either .I have to use a nebuliser daily for copd and am anxious that I will have no electricity . Can anyone advise me please ?

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 4 November 2023, 09:53

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 16/11/23 by Abby_OVO

You are using the wrong app. you need the OVO Energy Top-Up app for this, or https://ovoenergypayments.paypoint.com .

You can ask the Support Team to generate a digital card via https://ovoenergy.com/help . They’re online now on Live Chat - I’d recommend doing that today.

However, with that being said… PAYG IS NOT suitable for you in your circumstances. It’s the view of all the Forum Volunteers including myself that a vulnerable customer with medical conditions shouldn’t be on Prepayment, so we would strongly recommend you consider switching to Pay Monthly - the Support Team can arrange this.

If you haven’t already, please sign up for the Priority Services Register, this is also possible via the Support Team.

For more on Pay as you go and topping up, check out these topics below:

Hi , thanks for that . I have spoken online with an advisor a moment ago and they have assured me that supply will be on “friendly credit” until monday 9 am when the account details should be updated .Would have thought that a payment card would have been supplied at installation  but apparently they dont have any . What an anxious time !

I appreciate your reply .

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You just need a digital card in the app

Userlevel 6

Hey @Neilnotyoung 

Sorry to hear about the issues you’ve been having.

Blastoise186 has provided some really helpful advice on this.

How are things this morning? Have you been in touch with the Support Team to straighten everything out and make sure you’re able to top up? Otherwise, like Blastoise mentioned, it might be an idea to change payment method to a monthly payment, to avoid top up issues and going off supply due to not being able to top up. 

Let us know how you get on.

Userlevel 7

Just wanted to add @Neilnotyoung,

We have some topics you may find helpful:

Keep us posted with how you get on.

Hi , So day three now , still not sorted , activation number and digital payg number recieved but when I activate  the account the next page says “site under maintenance “ . So I have asked to be put on monthly account now and am currently waiting for  someone on the chat portal to help with this .Shocking “service” . Thanks for info and help .Definitely not a fan of ovo .

So , finally sorted . Had to go on monthly bill , probably a better option for me . An experience I do not wish to repeat . Never had all this with sse . Sigh . Thanks for all advice , more sense on here than “official” channels . Cheers  

Neil

Userlevel 7

@Neilnotyoung I’m glad this is sorted now, pop back anytime and we’ll do what we can to advise! 😊