Solved

High electric costs?

Userlevel 1

Hi could you help my electric seems to be really high usage I'm currently using nearly 180pounds  this month for electric is this right for a 3 bed terrace house 

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 28 June 2023, 10:55

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @simbeag and welcome to this customer forum. That sounds rather high at this time of year .. what sort of electrical appliances do you have? Immersion heater, storage heaters, electric cooker etc?

Userlevel 1

It's my parents house there pensioner's electric cooker 2 friges but the electric just seems really high gas boiler 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It's my parents house there pensioner's electric cooker 2 friges but the electric just seems really high gas boiler 

Ok .. do they have a smart meter or have you checked that the meter readings on the account are accurate? They might be estimated if a reading isn’t being recorded correctly   
Ah, just noticed this is in the PAYG section. 

Userlevel 1

There on a smart meter just seems really high its like it's almost 20 to 30 pounds a day in electric 

Userlevel 1

I've topped up 25 today so just this month there close to 200 for the month 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There on a smart meter just seems really high its like it's almost 20 to 30 pounds a day in electric 

Is the smart meter recording half hour slots? They can help to see when (and where) power is being used. 

Userlevel 1

Not sure will have to have a look tomorrow when I finish work and maybe give ovo customer service a ring see if there's something wrong 🤔 

Userlevel 1

I can take so pics of the meter reading and show you maybe you can see why there using so much electricity 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It’s also worth checking the plan that they’re on and if there’s been a time point when it’s suddenly increased or if it has been high for a while. 
They might be eligible to be on the Priority Services Register as well - that can help with support. 

Userlevel 1

Thanks 👍 😊 will give them a ring when I finish work and see If I can get some help again thanks for yiu help 

Userlevel 7

Hey @simbeag,

Really sorry to hear this,

Could it be there is a debt on the account they are paying off each day? I’d advise checking the meter readings, if it’s a smart meter these should be sent in automictically. If not, I’d advise completing a smart meter health check:

This similar topic might be helpful:

We have a Pay As You Go Topic Hub on the Forum which might be useful:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @simbeag , did you manage to discover anything on the account? It’s always useful to know if/how things get resolved 🤞🏼

Userlevel 1

Not yet will either ring today or first thing in the morning will let you know the outcome 

Userlevel 1

Thanks 👍 😊 will give them a ring when I finish work and see If I can get some help again thanks for yiu help 

It's important to verify their current plan and see if there was a sudden increase or if it has remained high for a while. Additionally, they may qualify to be on the Priority Services Register, which can provide helpful support. Lastly, they may be experiencing difficulty receiving a signal and are waiting within a Faraday cage.

Userlevel 1

Found out the problem there smart meter is saying that the credit wasn't on account when topping up but was showing on the online account they have a credit balance of 467.22 but all ovo told me was that there usage was high so I went through the receipts from topping up and started to put the top up codes in and the top up codes worked 

Help

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Carole Thomson 

Welcome to the forum

If you provide a little more information one of the other customers on the forum may be able to help you 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Carole Thomson,

The pay as you go topic hub might be helpful to you:

If you or anyone in your household is vulnerable, or just needs a little extra assistance at a difficult time in your lives, our Priority Services Register is a free support service you might find useful.

Struggling with your energy bills? Our Winter Support Package might be helpful to you.