Solved

Checking balance on smart meter - is it in Pay as you go mode?

• 27 June 2023
  • 9 replies

I have a new pay as you go smart meter and have no idea how to check the balance.

I am having issues topping up with the app, and my meter has no keypad. so not sure how to top up either.

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 27 June 2023, 15:24

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Welcome @Clair185 ,

Please show us photos of the meter(s), any In-Home Display you were given and anything else it came with. We’ll be able to help you once we’ve seen those.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Looks like it’s currently in Credit Mode rather than PAYG/Prepayment Mode. If this isn’t meant to be the case, PAYG Support can help if you call them on 0330 175 9669.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Don’t know if this smart meter guide might help to show what the buttons do 

For the IHD, depending on which one you have here are the user guides

IHD6-CAD-PPMID-User-Guide-.pdf

IHD7-CAD-PPMID-User-Guide.pdf

Userlevel 6

Hey @Clair185 

Sorry to hear about this, there’s some great advice from our volunteers here.

Have you been in touch with the PAYG Support Team yet to get this sorted?

Hi there,

This may be a very stupid question, but I am stuck. I have a Pay as you go/Prepayment gas meter in a property I recently moved into. There was also a small portable screen that tells me how much credit I have left on my electricity, and what I thought was how much credit I had on my gas.

am I right in thinking that gas balance means how much I owe? Only, it’s been going up when I’ve been using gas on the actual meter itself and on the portable device, but I’ve not been prompted to pay? And it doesn’t have a negative in front of it, or say emergency. 

Any help would be amazing, I’ve added a photo so you can see my meter and the current ‘balance’ - I just don’t know if that means how much I’ve used or how much credit I have left :( 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Howdy!

That’s not a Prepayment Meter! :D

It’s a Smart Meter and it seems to be in Credit Mode for Pay Monthly. :)

Have a word with OVO via 0330 303 5063 and they can set you up an account if you don’t have one yet.

Hi @Blastoise186 , thanks so much for getting back to me. 

It’s been a busy week so am only getting round to calling OVO today. I called the Pay as you Go line as I didn’t realise the phone line above is closed on weekends. 

When I spoke to her, she said that my gas meter is still coming up as a Pay as you go, and the £42.72 is how much debt I am in (even though it is not coming up with a negative). I told her I’d transferred £50 just before I posted my original message on this forum, and that it didn’t change the balance on the meter or my IHD. So now I am worried about where that £50 has gone. 

She said she has added £50 and will call me back in 30 - 40 minutes to see if it gets through to the meter. 

I will keep you posted :) 

Userlevel 6

Hey @EttaR 

Sorry to hear about the issue you’re having.

Have the team been back in touch or have you reached out to them this morning? 

If not, I would get in touch with the Support Team, especially if the £50 has not been added like they said they would do. 

Do you know if it has been applied yet?

We’ve also got a helpful topic guide that might be helpful in future if you need any support: