Tutorial

How to renew your plan on your online account or OVO app

How to renew your plan on your online account or OVO app
Userlevel 7

Updated on 14/09/23 by Abby_OVO

So you’re coming to the end of your fixed plan with OVO and need to decide the best plan for you going forward?

Unless you really need to chat through your options, you don’t need to give us a call in order to view the available plans, you can do this on your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS).

We’ll email you (or send a letter if you’ve opted in to postal communications) to let you know when you’re in your renewal window. This is the 49 day grace period at the end of every energy plan. During this time you’ll be able to fix in to a new plan with us, decide to go for a variable plan - or switch away with no exit fees if you’d like.

When you log in to your online account or open up your OVO app during the renewal period, you’ll see a renewal message on your Homepage,

Exact appearance may vary

Click on the ‘Pick your new plan’ button to see the options available,

Exact appearance and plans available may vary

You’ll have a view of the recommended Direct Debit amount on each new plan, as well as the unit rates and standing charges on each plan by clicking ‘Tariff Information Label’. This is useful in making comparisons of these plans to those that might be offered elsewhere.

Found the plan for you? Click ‘Renew now’ to choose this plan. You’ll then receive a confirmation email of your new plan details and the new plan will begin the day after your current plan ends.

If you haven’t selected a new plan before your current plan comes to an end, your account will automatically roll onto our Simpler plan. This is a flexible variable tariff that is protected by the Variable Price Cap, read more about this here.

Rolled onto the Simpler plan but want to renew onto a fixed plan at a later date? If you login to your online account there’ll be the option to ‘View fixed-rate plans’ on your Homepage:

Exact appearance may vary

Hope this covers all the steps to help you setup a new plan with OVO when the time comes.

Need any extra help or got any questions not covered by this guide? - Comment below, we’re always happy to offer advice where we can.

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

My fixed rate plan ends on 25th Feb and I’ve been sent an email with several renewal options. Each option has ‘Renew now with 1 click’ alongside it. Does that really mean that if I click on it I’ll be renewing there and then ?

On my online account I have fewer renewal options, noticeably the cheapest one from the email (OVO Drive) is not offered. If I click on that email button will it reappear ?

Userlevel 7

Happy New Year @juliamc!

New year, new energy plan! And some really great questions to ask following your renewal email -

Each option has ‘Renew now with 1 click’ alongside it. Does that really mean that if I click on it I’ll be renewing there and then ?

Yep - by selecting that plan, you’ll be completing the renewal so it’s important to consider your options before you make that click! If you’ve inadvertently signed up to a new plan but would still like to do some research or consider your options, not to worry! - Our Support Team are able to reverse any contract up to 14 days after the new plan begins with no exit fees applied.

On my online account I have fewer renewal options, noticeably the cheapest one from the email (OVO Drive) is not offered. If I click on that email button will it reappear ?

This is a strange one! If you’re renewing from the EV Everywhere plan, OVO Drive should show as one of your renewal options on your online account. If not I’d recommend raising this one to the Support Team who can set you up on this plan (If you decide to go for this) and investigate why this option didn’t appear for you to self-serve.

Hope this helps you consider your renewal options and select a new plan! :slight_smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks @Jess_OVO - I checked again today and OVO Drive had magically reappeared, whereas OVO Member Special had disappeared ! I’m not dreaming, it really was there yesterday. Anyway, I’ve grabbed Drive while it’s showing and renewed! 

Hi, how do I fix my energy tariff? Every time I click on the link it just goes to my account, thanks Ian. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hiya!

https://account.ovoenergy.com/renewal should do the trick. Can you give that a try? Make sure to be logged into MyOVO first for best results. :)

OK thanks 👍

I have been on a fixed tarif plan since joining Ovo 5 years or so ago. This came to and end late in August this year and with all the uncertainty around prices I made an active decision to simply roll onto the Simpler Energy plan until there was a bit more clarity in the market.

When I look at my plan online now I am not being offered any alternatives to the Simpler Energy plan. My current DD is showing on teh page along with my account balance, which is currently in credit, but there is none of the ususal info about whether my DD is sufficent for my future use (I doubt it is) and I’m not being offered any other plans.

Does that sound normal right now and if I wanted to see alternative plans does anyone know how/where I can do that on the Ovo site/app?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Everyone will be on the new government plan from 1st October, so there aren’t any other fixed plan choices now.

Thanks @juliamc 

SSE had a great tariff and price checker which easily showed all current and historic prices. With the OVO migration the price checker on OVO is unclear and misses important tariffs. Can anyone tell me the current unit rates and standing charges in North Scotland for prepayment THTC and E10. thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @donniem 

Am assuming you have looked here given your comments?

https://plans.ovoenergy.com/

yes thanks - it has credit rates but not prepay rates for thtc and e10. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

yes thanks - it has credit rates but not prepay rates for thtc and e10. 

Then the only way is to phone ovo to be sure I suspect. 

They won't post rates on the forum, and from experience on this forum you are unlikely to get someone posting their rates that you can be sure of. 

Ovo have just emailed my latest bill and suggested I look at 2 plans which they say will be cheaper. I’m struggling to find direct cost comparisons on them to seer what the actual charges are. One is a variable tariff. has anyone done this and did it work out cheaper?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ovo have just emailed my latest bill and suggested I look at 2 plans which they say will be cheaper. I’m struggling to find direct cost comparisons on them to seer what the actual charges are. One is a variable tariff. has anyone done this and did it work out cheaper?

Hi @LMAY , it will depend on your usage so difficult for advice.

If you can see your annual usage and then cost per kwh you can estimate what each tariff might offer. Don’t forget to add in the standing charge and vat .. these often are different to a standard tariff.

You can also see a list of available tariffs here https://plans.ovoenergy.com/

Thank you. That’s useful.