Why is my Future Annual Consumption estimate so persistently high?

• 26 February 2024
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge

I have just read this passage about FACs in another thread: “… my own experience shows that [the future annual consumption figure] is being based on, (or at least being adjusted based on) actual meter readings. I could see my FAC for gas changing (reducing by large amounts) within minutes of submitting a new meter reading.”

This is what is supposed to happen, if I understand the wording here: Usage projection is a figure produced by our billing system, that uses smart meter readings (if available) to project the usage for you over the next year.

We clearly have a two-tier system: an ineffectual one for smart meter customers, and another better one for everyone else. Those who submit manual readings 'see their FAC changing within minutes.' Those of us with smart meters are apparently subject to a system which can take months to adjust the FAC to actual usage, despite having meter readings recorded automatically every day.

My own (electricity only) FAC got stuck last year after a meter adjustment. I was told last year, as was the Ombudsman, that it would all come right after a meter exchange, which happened in September. There was no change to my FAC until mid-November, when it suddenly started falling from its figure of 2.35 times the actual annual usage. This is how it has progressed, from its stubbornly-maintained figure of 2902.9 where it had been since the previous April:

I can't explain the hiatus in early January, unless there was some manual intervention. The figures are updated every Sunday, and occasionally midweek: there have been 16 updates since 5 November. If manual intervention is possible, then there’s no need to rely solely on this clearly flawed system.

I suppose I should be grateful that my FAC is now only 76% higher than my actual consumption for the past year. Excel tells me that if both curves proceed at the same rate, they will eventually meet on 8 August next, just one year after OVO assured the Ombudsman and me that a meter exchange would soon solve the problem.

For those of us with multi-rate tariffs (e.g. Economy 7), there have to be FAC figures for peak and offpeak usage. It’s the ratio between these that determines how economical the tariff is, so it’s also important that this ratio is also accurate. It’s not, for me. Not only is any Direct Debit calculation worthless, but so are projected costs when trying to compare tariffs. 

There is something seriously wrong with the FAC determination if it can't adapt more quickly to actual, readily-available meter-confirmed data as Ofgem mandates and as Tim maintains it should.

10 replies

Userlevel 7

I’m very surprised the FAC is taking so long to update, I’ll ask about this internally @Firedog and see if there’s an explanation for this. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

[This case moved to a private conversation (thank you, @Emmanuelle_OVO), where I learnt that the FAC is calculated starting with the EAC and changing on each recalculation. The calculation aims to align the FAC with actual consumption after a year (!). However, there seemed to have been a problem with my account, so this wasn’t working quite as intended and some third-party data collector was investigating. I’ve heard nothing since.]

The chart I shared above shows a sudden step-change in January. I’m now leaning towards the view that it happened because the EAC my FAC started from was wrong. Ofgem sets these figures, drawing on all manner of statistical data to find typical values (TDCV). My EAC had been (in April 2023!) set to 2900 kWh, the typical electricity consumption of a dual-fuel household with medium usage. However, Ofgem revised their typical values down last year, the new ones to take effect on 1 October 2023. It looks as if someone realized in January that my FAC was still being based on the old TDCV and re-calculated it. The new TDCV was 2700*, which is the value the lower curve (‘FAC 2024’) strikes if produced back to the start date. 

I’m bumping this thread in case anyone can explain why my FAC has today 21 April  taken another lurch (to my detriment; if it were in my favour, I’d have kept quiet). This is a comparison of recent calculations, with the points from 14 January to 14 March removed because they all lie on the curves shown:

There is no change in my usage pattern to explain this sudden shift. It means that the estimated cost of the cheapest option on my Renewal page is £230 higher than what I expect it to be, and my recommended Direct Debit is 64% higher than I think it should be. 

We have read in these forums that a new customer should see a reasonable FAC after three months, although some may have to wait for six months. I’ve no idea where these ideas come from. It is more than six months since my new meter was installed, yet there’s still no sign of light at the end of this tunnel. Whatever the formula used to calculate the FAC is, it’s wrong.

*   2700 kWh is the TDCV for a medium-usage household. A quick glance at my history would have revealed that my usage is consistently less than half of that, so I wonder why the low-usage figure (1800) wasn’t selected, if they couldn’t use the actual consumption figures for my MPAN.

Userlevel 6

@Firedog Your initial quote about sending new readings reducing the FAC was from a post of mine, and I’m sorry to report that that reduction in my FAC has now stopped happening again.

My FAC for gas is currently about 65% higher than my actual yearly usage and hasn’t altered by a single digit since 19th March.
(Luckilly it isn’t really affecting me because I fixed my tariff).

However that lack of change could be because I got the Forum Support Team / Kazula investigating why (after I had got it downs to where it should be) it suddenly doubled overnight at the end of Feb, so they may have put a hold an any changes to it.
I must give Forum Support a poke, I haven’t heard from them for a while.

My FAC for Smart Metered electricity is correct, and AFAIK always has been, it’s just my non-SM gas that has been all over the place (at the start of last December it was 3x too high).

From what I can see there are at least 2 different issues affecting/inflating FAC’s - whether those issues are originating at OVO, Kazula, or Ofgem is part of what needs to be investigated

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Be interesting to see what uswitch displays for your address as in theory they take un edited data from the national database when displaying the yearly gas and electricity usage kWh

Userlevel 6

One problem is that while we can work out, or try to work out, what the cause of any problems may be - before anything will change we have to get ‘someone’ at each of the companies involved interested in doing the same.

And if only a small percentage of customers are being affected then such issues don't get a priority to fix.

Userlevel 7
Badge

Be interesting to see what uswitch displays for your address …

I rather hoped they might be able to find something interesting, given this explanation of where the estimate comes from:

The estimated consumption figures are based on Estimated Annual Consumption (EAC) and Annual Quotient (AQ) data from central industry sources including the Retail Energy Code Company which estimate your consumption over the next 12 months based on a number of factors about your property and based on your property’s historical consumption.

Your usage comparison is based on your energy usage compared to other households in your postcode region. Your usage will be affected by a number of factors including the size of your home and the number of people who live there.

The figure Uswitch quote:

… is precisely the Ofgem TDCV for a low-usage PC2 household. There is clearly nothing else taken into account, in particular the ‘property’s historical consumption’.  

I wonder if the leap in my FAC results from another oops! reaction, if someone realized that the baseline should not have been the 2700 it was changed to in January - the TDCV for a medium-usage PC1 household - but the 2200 Uswitch is now reporting. However, they probably couldn’t apply this from the same date (why?) and had to pick a new later starting date for the countdown.

I’d be repeating myself if I said that whatever the formula used to calculate the FAC is, it’s wrong.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Be interesting to see what uswitch displays for your address …

I rather hoped they might be able to find something interesting, given this explanation of where the estimate comes from:

The estimated consumption figures are based on Estimated Annual Consumption (EAC) and Annual Quotient (AQ) data from central industry sources including the Retail Energy Code Company which estimate your consumption over the next 12 months based on a number of factors about your property and based on your property’s historical consumption.

Your usage comparison is based on your energy usage compared to other households in your postcode region. Your usage will be affected by a number of factors including the size of your home and the number of people who live there.

The figure Uswitch quote:

… is precisely the Ofgem TDCV for a low-usage PC2 household. There is clearly nothing else taken into account, in particular the ‘property’s historical consumption’.  

I wonder if the leap in my FAC results from another oops! reaction, if someone realized that the baseline should not have been the 2700 it was changed to in January - the TDCV for a medium-usage PC1 household - but the 2200 Uswitch is now reporting. However, they probably couldn’t apply this from the same date (why?) and had to pick a new later starting date for the countdown.

I’d be repeating myself if I said that whatever the formula used to calculate the FAC is, it’s wrong.

Then I wonder if there is something wrong with your data on the central database. Mine and one of my brothers looks OK on uswitch comparing with ovo. See the comment from comparethemarket below about missing data and using using averages if data is missing. I don't know how long the central database takes to populate for new meters. Perhaps someone else with a meter roughly the same age as yours could look.

And my recently deceased mum's house looks OK compared with her usage with Octopus.

There clearly is something taken into account for some people.

I just checked a couple of ovo households

One of my disabled brothers I keep an eye on now

Electricity 

4269 kWh Ovo

4423 kWh uswitch 

Gas

11051 kWh Ovo

11353 kWh Uswitch

Have also looked on comparethemarket

Me

Electricity 

2273 kWh ovo

2282 kWh uswitch 

2282 kWh comparethemarket

Gas

14111 kWh ovo

14317 kWh Uswitch 

14317 kWh  comparethemarket

I also checked a random selection in our road and none came up with the TDCV.

My checks were far from scientific but include different suppliers including ovo and manual and smart meter customers.

Am not sure this is much help to you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

[This case moved to a private conversation (thank you, @Emmanuelle_OVO), where I learnt that the FAC is calculated starting with the EAC and changing on each recalculation. The calculation aims to align the FAC with actual consumption after a year (!). However, there seemed to have been a problem with my account, so this wasn’t working quite as intended and some third-party data collector was investigating. I’ve heard nothing since.]

The chart I shared above shows a sudden step-change in January. I’m now leaning towards the view that it happened because the EAC my FAC started from was wrong. Ofgem sets these figures, drawing on all manner of statistical data to find typical values (TDCV). My EAC had been (in April 2023!) set to 2900 kWh, the typical electricity consumption of a dual-fuel household with medium usage. However, Ofgem revised their typical values down last year, the new ones to take effect on 1 October 2023. It looks as if someone realized in January that my FAC was still being based on the old TDCV and re-calculated it. The new TDCV was 2700*, which is the value the lower curve (‘FAC 2024’) strikes if produced back to the start date. 

I’m bumping this thread in case anyone can explain why my FAC has today 21 April  taken another lurch (to my detriment; if it were in my favour, I’d have kept quiet). This is a comparison of recent calculations, with the points from 14 January to 14 March removed because they all lie on the curves shown:

There is no change in my usage pattern to explain this sudden shift. It means that the estimated cost of the cheapest option on my Renewal page is £230 higher than what I expect it to be, and my recommended Direct Debit is 64% higher than I think it should be. 

We have read in these forums that a new customer should see a reasonable FAC after three months, although some may have to wait for six months. I’ve no idea where these ideas come from. It is more than six months since my new meter was installed, yet there’s still no sign of light at the end of this tunnel. Whatever the formula used to calculate the FAC is, it’s wrong.

*   2700 kWh is the TDCV for a medium-usage household. A quick glance at my history would have revealed that my usage is consistently less than half of that, so I wonder why the low-usage figure (1800) wasn’t selected, if they couldn’t use the actual consumption figures for my MPAN.

The 3 months was a figure provided by OVO on this forum.

The 6 months was observations from some ex SSE customers who we helped in the background who started off with high estimates for whatever reason after the migration.

It sounds like there is a different issue with your account and those timescales are perhaps not relevant.

Userlevel 6

I believe that this is a main part of the issue.

Personally I am convinced that there is more than one error in play here, and the combined affects of 2 or more errors can make things even more confusing to identify the causes of each.

If the inflated FACs were affecting all OVOs customers then it would be a high priority to fix, and probably much easier to track down the cause.

However as it’s only affecting some customers then it’s not seen as being the same priority to be fixed, and also more difficult to find the error(s).

Some may be affected but not even realise that it’s their inflated FAC causing high estimates and high DD payment recommendations - until they get ridiculously high and they start looking at why. (and asking/complaining on the forum).

Userlevel 7
Badge

… the comment from comparethemarket below about missing data and using using averages if data is missing.

Thanks. I tried comparethemarket and found that the estimate they used was even further out than Uswitch’s:

Am not sure this is much help to you.

Of course it is! This all goes to show that - as the Cad points out - there’s probably more than one error in play here. If two trusted (!) companies manage to access the ‘central database’, albeit via different fourth parties, and get such wildly different responses, then something’s wrong with whoever is populating that database. Tim tells us that “… your EAC is re-calculated each time we share your meter readings with the energy industry,” so it looks like OVO aren’t sharing nicely and crystal balls are dusted off by the third- and fourth-parties trusted to access the database. 

I honestly can’t imagine why my account should be so screwed up, and I’m a trifle concerned that there are many more of us in similar dire straits. Luckily I’m quite capable of doing my own sums, but I’m not looking forward to doing battle with the DD police in a few weeks’ time.

Perhaps the biggest frustration is not having anyone to ask who might actually be able to explain what’s going on.