Solved

Why does my online account show I've got a smart meter? My smart meter installation was cancelled!

I'm trying to submit meter readings for May via the account management web app.

Electric allowed me to submit as normal. However, the gas meter section suddenly thinks I have a smart meter installed, and won't let me submit readings via the browser (the iPhone app seems to let me submit, but then is overwriting any manual readings with fake smart meter readings).

The previous manual meter reading history for gas has disappeared.

I don't have a smart meter installed for either gas or electricity.

An engineer did attend back in November, but had to abort the install on the day due to connectivity issues with the gas meter part. He reverted both gas and electric meters to the previous dumb units, and I've continued to take manual readings…. which has been working just fine up till now.

Is there perhaps a general fault with the meter reading submission web service, currently… anyone else experiencing this? Or is there maybe a data issue with my account?

“Good news” and I “don’t need to do anything” it now says on the Gas meter readings page… well… if only that were true!

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 24 May 2022, 11:27

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7

Thanks for flagging this, @Proggable 

I’ve asked the team if this is a known issue, and I’m keen to hear if other forum members are affected by this…

You’re able to submit readings manually via our IVR when calling up, or via online chat, which might be a good workaround whilst we get this gas meter confusion sorted: 0330 303 5063, chat found here. It might be worth hanging on and speaking to an advisor so it can be flagged on your account...

Userlevel 7

Updated on 18/10/23 by Abby_OVO

Sorry to hear about the meter mix-up there, @Proggable.

We’ve not had any wider issues reported so I’m wondering whether this might be more account-specific.

Did you manage to get your meter readings logged by contacting the Support Team yet?

As you mention an aborted smart meter installation, it might be worth double-checking that the meter details are correct on your account. If you’re able to post up a photo of your meters here, I’m sure our community members would be happy to help confirm your meter type, which might get to the bottom of things.

Thanks Jess and Tim

I’ve tried submitting a reading via IVR… contacting the support via chat currently.

My gas meter is the same Actaris SC6 (I think the model is) that I had on joining OVO… it was simply put back after, along with the original electric meter, when the engineer smart meter install had to be aborted. When he couldn’t get the new smart gas meter to register, he reinstated the originals.

It has been showing okay on the online account, as far as I was aware - certainly the online system seemed to know it was a manual meter, still - and was letting me submit readings up till some point this month (I only noticed it had changed when I went to submit the readings).

Comparing the serial number on the Actaris, with what is showing on my online account, certainly there seems to be a mismatch of serial numbers… looks like my account may have been previously updated with an erroneous smart meter unit serial number, perhaps.

Okay - I’ve reported it via the support chat, and hopefully will get resolved by the OVO team who deal with metering, soon.

Well… this issue seemed to have been sorted, for the last month or so, in the iPhone and web browser apps.

However, has suddenly reverted to the erroneous (non-existent) Smart meter readings since about the 22nd of July (after I submitted my last manual read ).

Userlevel 7

So strange. I’m sorry we’re not able to offer account specific help here, @Proggable 

This needs some checking ‘under the hood’ and a forum like this isn’t able to help. Could you make our Support team aware by linking them to this thread in an online chat? That saves you having to explain yourself again!