Solved

Why did OVO collections team contact me despite my recent payment?

Show first post

76 replies

Userlevel 1

Thanks for that. OVO sent me an email not long after I had paid the balance to say that it had been paid off and the balance was cleared. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

OH my god. Do not get me started with balances. My gas meter readings on my bill are for someone else. The meter number is wrong. I am not paying for any electric AGAIN. Check EVERYTHING. Since JULY update last year nothing is right. I HAVE asked for a re build of my account from 11.7.21. Not sure it is going to happen soon!!

Userlevel 1

Oh my goodness that’s awful. Hope you get that one sorted soon. 

Userlevel 1

I have received an email this morning saying I missed a payment in October. The amount missed was what they were going to charge me before they changed it back after the freeze in increase. However I didn’t miss a payment in October. 

I then received a text saying we have set up a payment plan and you missed your last payment. Again I haven’t missed any payments. I’m on a direct debit. I will call them but wondered if anyone else had this issue? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @Chloe !

In this case I’d suggest giving 0800 069 9831 a call to check things with the Collections Team. If this is a mistake, they can fix things up.

Alternatively, you can go via Support on 0330 303 5063.

Userlevel 1

Thank you, I’ve just called and spoke to someone on the support number and he confirmed I haven’t missed a payment. I think it may be a scam as the way my account number is shown doesn’t look like all my other ovo emails. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Please forward it to report@phishing.gov.uk if you think it’s a phishing scam.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

As for the text message? Could you forward it to 7726 for me? It’s free to do and helps to prevent future scams

Userlevel 1

Does anyone else keep getting emails supposedly from OVO saying that there is outstanding money owed on the bill? I Paid ours last week so I know this to be spam. Is there somewhere to report the spam to?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Johnboy412000

Hi, you asked a similar question before. 

Did you report it then given the email provided and did you check with collections if it was from ovo?

Reporting emails 

report@phishing.gov.uk

Collections 0800 0699 831

If you post how you get on I am sure it will help other customers 

Userlevel 1

I Logged on to my Ovo and the balance is only a couple of quid. That’s what tells me it’s spam. I’ve had these messages before and couldn’t remember the email to report it to. Thanks for providing the link. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I Logged on to my Ovo and the balance is only a couple of quid. That’s what tells me it’s spam. I’ve had these messages before and couldn’t remember the email to report it to. Thanks for providing the link. 

Did OVO reply last time when you reported the spam? 

Userlevel 1

Can’t remember. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Johnboy412000,

Sorry for the issues you’re having, 

What email address are you being contacted from? I’ll check if it’s an OVO email address or phishing.

If you pay on demand, it’s worth double checking you are also clearing any ‘balance bought forwards’ from the last statement. Pay on demand customers will need to do this within 14 days of receiving their bills. Payment reminder communications are sent after seven days of the bill. 

There is also the option to switch to direct debit:

Please pop back if you get to the bottom of it, as it may help other Community Members. 

Userlevel 1

Sorry I haven't still got the email but it wasn't OVO normal email now I come to think of it. It's happened before and I rang OVO that time and confirmed it was spam. I have saved the link to report any spams now. 

I am  partly to blame for this situation I’m in. I am number 12 and the bills should have be going to 12B. Anyway, I am with a very small energy company called Rebel Energy so when I received an ovo bill, I thought rebel energy was a subsidiary of OVO so I paid the bill. After a while, I realise this wasn’t the case and contacted ovo energy and explain the situation and haven’t really got anywhere. This was two years ago. I am now seeking a refund of £80 and finding it impossible to get ovo or anybody to understand this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hmm… If this happened two years ago, then this could be tricky to resolve. I’ll ask a forum moderator for advice.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ok, just an update. The forum volunteers (including myself) are still talking about this one out the back.

But at the moment, we think the easiest fix is to just get the money back from your neighbour if possible. If you wait too long to request a refund, it may not be possible, so we think this will save you the hassle. It’d certainly be faster and would avoid messing up your neighbour’s account.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Can I just check @A.J.Smith when did you first ask about a return of your payment?

Asking for a refund, probably was a couple of weeks after I realised it wasn’t my account. As far as I remember ovo, just kept passing me around to different departments and I do vaguely remember them telling me to send the bill to them.

My neighbour, who’s  account it belong to told me the bill was a settled. She was a bit vague and not want to interact too much with me about it. Of course sod’s Law she’s just had chemo and very unwell. So I’m not going to bother her with it certainly for the time being.

thanks everybody for the feedback.

Just another small point of the debt collection agency is been onto me about paying the outstanding debt of £255.95. And yet again for at least a second possibly third time I’ve told them it’s not my debt or account. So if they can still expect the debt to be settled, why cannot I expect a refund after this time?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Just another small point of the debt collection agency is been onto me about paying the outstanding debt of £255.95. And yet again for at least a second possibly third time I’ve told them it’s not my debt or account. So if they can still expect the debt to be settled, why cannot I expect a refund after this time?

Is this debt chasing for 12B where you have never lived? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Asking for a refund, probably was a couple of weeks after I realised it wasn’t my account. As far as I remember ovo, just kept passing me around to different departments and I do vaguely remember them telling me to send the bill to them.

My neighbour, who’s  account it belong to told me the bill was a settled. She was a bit vague and not want to interact too much with me about it. Of course sod’s Law she’s just had chemo and very unwell. So I’m not going to bother her with it certainly for the time being.

thanks everybody for the feedback.

So did you ask ovo for a refund about two years ago? 

Userlevel 6

Hey @A.J.Smith 

Sorry to hear about this, let me have our Forum Support Team reach out to see if they can help you further with this.

Look out for a PM from them here soon: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/inbox/overview

Im having problems too! Credit referncr agency is saying Ovo has listed 2 late/missed payments against me!! I havnt missed any or been late!!!

Im on a quarterly rolling contract! 

Some months I choose to pay some off to avoid a £1000 bill. But I am not on a monthly contract. 

They did this to me before and it was a headache to sort. And cost me a small fortune to sort. They admitted it was their miatake and got the default removed...but again? Oh come on OVO! 

Thank you for now messing up my chance of getting a mortgage. Thank you. 😡