Solved

Why can't I login into my online account, app or send reset password email?

Show first post

109 replies

Userlevel 3

@thecat7457 I'm sure that the email address will have to be linked to her OVO account before you can access her pine account. Might be worth contacting customer service (who are still open) either via phone or email. It might have to be your mother who calls though due to data protection. They should be also be able to add you to the account also

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hello,

You should have needed to enter an email address when signing up to OVO. This will be the email addresses associated with your OVO ID. When signing into your account for the first time, you will need to click on forgotten password, enter the email address you used when signing up. You should receive an email requesting you to reset your password. Once you have done this, you should be able to sign into your account.

Please make sure to check your junk folder too as every email service spam filtering differ from one another. 

Any issues, please do respond back. We can try and help as much as we can before it requires a message on webchat via the Help Centre or a phone call on 0330 303 5063.

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt,

When my mother opened the account she didn’t have an email address. I have only just set it up for her.

Userlevel 7

Hi @thecat7457 

Some good advise here from @ITGeek123 and @SR3 

Your mum will need to have an email address linked to her OVO account, and use this email address to login to My OVO and reset her passwords etc. 

If this needs sorting, drop us a Facebook message here

If it’s something else, check out the ‘best answer’ at the top of this topic for a full troubleshoot. 

Let us know what works!

Thanks,
Tim

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hey @thecat7457 

Are you able to register an email address to setup an OVO account?

Userlevel 5

Any updates on this, @thecat7457 ? Have you managed to get it sorted?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I don’t know the answer to this for every combination of Operating System and Browser, @AlanB , but I’ve always been able to remove cookies for individual sites.

Although I don’t use Windows (of any variety), I would still expect this to be the case on whatever PC you’re using.

Error “400” is Page Not Found… which is a very common catch-all message.

Userlevel 7
Badge

I don’t know the answer to this for every combination of Operating System and Browser, @AlanB , but I’ve always been able to remove cookies for individual sites.

Although I don’t use Windows (of any variety), I would still expect this to be the case on whatever PC you’re using.

Error “400” is Page Not Found… which is a very common catch-all message.

Best thing to try to see if it is a web browser issue is to try Incognito mode. Make sure the web browser is up to date too!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

And are you going to explain the term “Incognito mode@ITGeek123 ?

We’ll have lots of readers trying to find that option on a menu otherwise! :face_palm_tone2:

Userlevel 7
Badge

I will write a guide for every web browser known to man haha 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@AlanB … Incognito mode may be known as something like “Private browsing” on your particular browser. It basically opens another window (or tab) which looks like the normal browser interface, but does not read any of your cookies, nor save data into your Browser History.

It allows you to access a website in such a way that you can then know for sure whether it really is a broken cookie which was otherwise preventing you from doing so.

Now, just a moment whilst I try and find something heavy to throw at @ITGeek123  :8ball::head_bandage:

I tried to log in today to put in my latest readings. I got a message to say you’d migrated to a new system and to confirm my email, which I did. You then said you had sent me a link to reset my password, which would last 30 minutes. Well you haven’t, and it’s not in spam either. I tried again, to request a password reset, but you said you had already sent an email, which you haven’t. So now I cannot access my account and input my meter readings. Is this just a ploy to get me onto a smart meter, which I do not want?

...so I thought I’d try downloading the Ovo app onto my phone. Easy to download, but on setting up the log in, I was redirected to the website to change my password, so back to the same old routine - sending links which don’t arrive! Absolutely hopeless!

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi @tedward 

A few things we can try before you needing to email OVO. 

Have you tried logging onto your OVO account using your web browser in incognito? This way, any cached cookies, passwords etc are not causing any issues. What web browser are you using?

Thanks

Hi. I’m using Firefox, with Thunderbird email. I haven’t tried what you suggest, as I wouldn’t know how to do that. Never had a problem in logging in before in over four years with Ovo.

Just tried logging in with Microsoft Edge, which I never use for anything so should be no caches. Same old same old...

Userlevel 6

I’ve moved the thread here, @tedward, please check out the best answer, if none of this helps, please reach out to the team. 

You can send us a message on Facebook, Twitter or webchat via the Help Centre. You can reach our team on: 0330 303 5063. Our opening hours are 8am-6pm Monday to Friday.

Thanks! 

Tried again this morning, requesting another password reset. This time it arrived straightaway, so I can now log in again. Now I’ve given my meter readings, hurrah! I must say I like the feel of the new site, especially the new look for the data in the usage section. Obviously there were tech problems yesterday, but now you’re shaping again! Also been able to activate the app on my phone.

Userlevel 3

That’s great news @tedward !

This is a fairly new platform, and as such, there’s most definitely issues that need to be ironed out. We are currently working on updating the online experience with new functions every day, so watch this space!

Glad to hear you’re enjoying it,

cant set up an account even with user id! going round in circles! what a waste of time!! wont be with ovo for long

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @webbey2009 I think you’ll have to give us a bit more detail than that if we’re going to find a solution!

Here on the Forum we are fellow customers who use our experience to assist each other. So we’d need to know basic information such as:

• What was the start date of your current tariff?
  • Did you have a previous tariff/account with OVO (even if you’ve switched elsewhere in the meantime)
  • Have you ensured you’re using the same email address that you’ve given to OVO?

I have been a customer a a while and never had any issues regarding my in line account.

However, after numerous attempts on requesting the link with no success, I've called myovo and someone said it's my e mail provider putting them in Spam, this can't be the case as I have checked my junk mail.

Can anyone please help?

Userlevel 6

I’ve moved your post here, @Barbados 2020, please check out the best answer. 

Thanks!

I am trying to access an account that I have for 

** edited by mod** 

I rent this flat and need to submit meter readings but have been unsuccessful in accessing the account. Could you possibly forward the user name and password to me or do I have to create  anew account?

Thank you and regards

Mrs B Parker

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Dear @Mrs B Parker and welcome to the Forum.

I wonder if you realise that you have posted this message on a publicly-accessible open website? This Forum is where customers discuss matters concerning energy. It is not viewed by OVO’s Customer Services staff.

In normal circumstances, a Moderator would redact information from what you have written, but they will not return until after the bank-holiday weekend.

However, I am able to advise you the best course of action for your dilemma.

If you, as the tenant, are required to submit meter readings, but are unable to do so online, then you can send them in a message on webchat via the Help CentrePlease ensure you provide enough detail for the staff member receiving this to know who you are.

Secondly, if your tenancy agreement states that you, and not the landlord are responsible for paying energy bills, then you require a fresh account in your name. OVO will not permit you to pick up an account used by a previous occupant of the flat.

You should ensure that you have a starting-reading for the meter(s) on the date your tenancy commenced. Normally this would be checked by the landlord when a new tenant moves in. It may be slightly more than the reading taken when the old tenant moved out, depending on how long the flat has remained empty. You are only liable for the consumption made since your Contract started.

A new account takes 4-5 weeks to be fully active. This includes a statutory 14-day “cooling off period” because an energy supply falls under the rules of a Financial Service.

If I have misunderstood the situation or you require further clarification, then please post again here. However, do not write any details here which should remain confidential.