Solved

Why are the collections department contacting me over my final bill despite a payment plan already being arranged?

• 4 September 2023
  • 10 replies

We moved house back in May and ended up with a large final bill of £350. I spoke to Ovo and we agreed a payment plan to chip away at the debt for the next 12 months. I was told to set up a standing order which I did, and the money that is sent to Ovo is taken each month off the outstanding balance. Despite this payment plan they continue to bombard me with emails, calls and texts asking me to pay the bill. A few weeks ago when I managed to speak with someone they put the account on hold but only for 30 days. I’ve now had a notice of default which will impact my credit rating. Normally agreeing a payment plan would stop such action. Do Ovo work differently? Thanks 

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 5 September 2023, 11:51

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You’ll need to discuss the arrangements with the Collections Team. Only they have the powers to access the account and do anything with it.

No-one here - including forum volunteers like myself - can touch it. That agreement is solely between yourself and the Collections Team.

Hi, I wasn’t looking to discuss the account on here. It was more a general question asking is it normal behaviour for Ovo to keep daily contact chasing a debt and threatening further action, when I have an agreed payment plan in place with them? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Only if you breach the agreement. Otherwise, not that I know of.

Ok that’s was I though. All payments up to date as agreed. Will attempt to speak with collections once again. Thanks 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Runway0927,

Really sorry to hear this,

The collections team should be able to put a hold on your account receiving these kind of communications.

The number is 0800 069 9831. They’re open Monday to Friday 9am-5pm.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Thanks,

Just on phone to collections. It appears that having a standing order to send the money each month does not count for a payment plan (I was told to set up a standing order 3 month ago). It needs to be a direct debit to stop further action. Poor customer service really. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 13/09/23 by Abby_OVO

Just on phone to collections. It appears that having a standing order to send the money each month does not count for a payment plan (I was told to set up a standing order 3 month ago). It needs to be a direct debit to stop further action. Poor customer service really. 

Direct Debits are more automated and payments made via one can be detected by the system and marked off as done automatically. Standing Orders require someone at OVO to manually assign the payment and takes a lot longer, which is why they’re not supported at all (and why several of us here advise against them).

The other advantage is that once the plan is done, OVO can just nuke the Direct Debit from their end and switch off further payments. If you forget to terminate a Standing Order however… Getting refunds is a lot more painful…

Hey @Runway0927,

Really sorry to hear this,

The collections team should be able to put a hold on your account receiving these kind of communications.

The number is 0800 069 9831. They’re open Monday to Friday 9am-5pm.

There is lots of financial support available, our website gives more information.

To contact Step Change Debt Charity Call 0800 138 1111 or visit their website

Hiya,

I wish I knew this on the 01st July when collections said to set up the standing order. I have the email they sent with their bank details and successfully paid the money for the last 3 months thinking that was it. 
I’ve now been told that it’s needs to be a direct debit to count as a payment arrangement and they now want £96 upfront to set up the arrangement before allowing me to pay £15 a month. 
I’ve asked to raise a complaint as I was wrongly advised and why ask for £96 when I can only pay £15 a month. I’ve tried to work with collections to get this debt paid but they’ve now said if I can’t pay £96 upfront I need to speak with a debt charity such as step change. 
Thanks 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Runway0927,

Sorry to hear this, It sounds like a really bad experience.

There is lots of financial support available, our website gives more information.

To contact Step Change Debt Charity Call 0800 138 1111 or visit their website

Thanks Ever