Solved

Where can I find my Economy 7 Peak and Off Peak hours?

• 14 October 2022
  • 43 replies

Only place I could find a mention of times for E7 were on this page:

https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/economy-7

The exact time window varies depending on your energy supplier, where you live, and other factors. But generally, the 7 off-peak hours fall somewhere between 10pm and 8.30am. (Remember, this can change with British Summer Time).

I am not looking for a 'general' idea of what time Ovo E7 hours are. I am looking, and have been looking for exactly what those hours are. This information seems to have been deliberately hidden from both the public, and your customers.

Is this hidden so well for any particular reason? Is it something they vary regionally, or from day to day? 

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 14 October 2022, 12:34

View original

43 replies

Userlevel 4

Hi originalhandle,

I'm on E7 and my peak times are displayed on my IHD. Don't know if yours is the same as mine but I'd you hit the menu button you will see Tarriff it should say on there.

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 28/06/23 by Abby_OVO

When are my peak/off peak hours?

If you have a Smart meter installed by OVO, the off-peak times can be worked out using your Meter Point Administration Number (MPAN). You can find your MPAN on the ‘Plan’ page of your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS).

MPAN is shown at the bottom of the electricity column

Then use this table below; the first two digits of your MPAN is the ‘Area ID’; the ‘Off peak’ times are on the column second from the right:

Please be advised that Secure, Aclara and Honeywell smart meters don't adjust for British Summertime. This means during summer your off peak times will be an hour later than advised above. 

If you have traditional meters or smart meters that were not installed by OVO, the off-peak hours may vary. The best way to find out in this case would be reaching out to your supplier (or our Support Team if you’re an OVO member).

Try these guides too.

You’ll find the exact times for your area.

Try these guides too.

You’ll find the exact times for your area.

I wouldn’t exactly call that easy, or even finding them. Though it did allow me to find out how to get the info that was necessary to therefore calculate with line of the table applied! 

Why is this pretty essential, and useful info so well hidden and disguised? Surely it should be displayed on your Plan page, or somewhere else clearly in your account, rather than buried in a disused toilet, in an abandoned basement with a sign on the door reading ‘beware of the leopard’! 

the first two digits of your MPAN is the ‘Area ID’; the ‘Off peak’ times are on the column second from the right:

Now, any idea how I can get placed in the Area’s with the longer plan hours???

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Feel free to suggest this be put on the main help site and your account. :)

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/ideas

Userlevel 7
Badge

Now, any idea how I can get placed in the Area’s with the longer plan hours???

Move to Stranraer?

The colours identify the different network operators, who have a monopoly on electricity distribution in their numbered areas (based, I think, on the old Electricity Boards). The lime green operator - formerly known confusingly enough as Western Power Distribution - has recently further muddied the waters by deciding to call itself National Grid, so they clearly have big ideas.

Be prepared for confusion in two weeks’ time when the clocks change. My Area 11 off-peak hours remain the same all year round - 00:00 - 07:00 GMT, which means I have to get up an hour earlier in the winter to be sure of finishing my (electric) shower before the price goes up. This has an undesirable effect on my personal hygiene.

Hi, I contacted ovo via email and asked for the off peak times of my plan (economy 7) I was told 3-6 am... 13 - 15 pm and 21.45-22.45 pm, after doing cooking today (Sunday) between 13-15 pm, I checked the meter I found it to be a lie, it was all clocked up on peak, is off peak all week or just week days? 

Userlevel 7
Badge

That sounds strange. You can find the peak/off-peak hours for your supply here: 

Everything you need to know about an Economy 7 (Eco 7) energy plan

You’ll see that off-peak hours are only at night. Note that the times might change by an hour when British Summer Time ends on Sunday; this depends apparently on what type of meter you have.

If you have recently switched to OVO and your meter was installed by a different supplier, there may be a period of adjustment. To be safe, it would be wise to shift heavy loads to after midnight if you can.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

This may or may not help !!

I’m in area 19 and I used to have a ‘split tariff’ for night and day rates, which meant 

22:30-00:30  off peak

00:30-02:30  full price 

02:30-07:30  off peak

07:30-22:30  full price

When the clocks changed it all moved an hour. I chucked it in and went to a single tariff!!

You could have a look at this: https://community.bulb.co.uk/t/what-are-my-off-peak-hours-for-economy-7/49343

My area code is 27 and it is not listed here

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Try here https://www.businessjuice.co.uk/energy-guides/economy-7-times/ 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Are you sure it’s 27? That’s not a valid MPAN Area ID.

Userlevel 7
Badge

These are the regions with their codes, from 10 to 23:

They are based on the old electricity board areas. The colours indicate the Distribution Network Operator, the company that runs the power lines around the region. Here’s an up-to-date map showing each DNO’s area:

I was transferred from SSE Hydro to Ovo’s Simpler Energy Plan, Payment Method on Demand for both my electricity and gas

Can anyone confirm when the off peak times are for electricity on this tariff plan, I’ve observed a red light flashing on my meter at various times of day but have been advised to look out for a green flashing light to indicate off peak times, however, I haven’t seen the green light yet.

I would be grateful for any advice.

I have tried contacting Ovo by telephone to no avail.

Thank You

GlasgowGirl   

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @GlasgowGirl there's a guide here but it isn’t specific. https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/economy-7

Doesn't your tariff plan give these details? 
https://account.ovoenergy.com/plan

That would also check that you’re actually on an economy7 plan

Hello BP Lightog - Plan Zero Hero

Thank You for your reply and information/advice.

I will check my bills but from memory the bill details my energy use and standing charge it doesn’t show split readings for day and night usage so I’m not on Economy 7 or 10.

I have a digital dry meter and pay my bills in cash, I don’t like direct debits and don’t have access to apps.

I will try phoning Ovo again and see if they will divulge this information to me.

Thank You

Glasgow Girl 

(need to sign off but will return) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello BP Lightog - Plan Zero Hero

Thank You for your reply and information/advice.

I will check my bills but from memory the bill details my energy use and standing charge it doesn’t show split readings for day and night usage so I’m not on Economy 7 or 10.

I have a digital dry meter and pay my bills in cash, I don’t like direct debits and don’t have access to apps.

I will try phoning Ovo again and see if they will divulge this information to me.

Thank You

Glasgow Girl 

(need to sign off but will return) 

Ah - if you’re not on E7 or E10 there is no off peak rate unfortunately. I could use one myself but can’t get off peak at the minute. 

BP Lighlog - Plan Zero Hero

Thank You for confirming. 

Good Luck in your mission.

GlasgowGirl

Userlevel 7
Badge

Can anyone confirm when the off peak times are for electricity on this tariff plan,   ...

If that is an Economy 7 tariff, the times are set by the electricity distributor (not by OVO) and vary from region to region. I think these timings are valid today:

[From Everything you need to know about an Economy 7 (Eco 7) energy plan | The OVO Forum]
Note that the times are GMT and thus change with British Summer Time.
​​​​​​

You may be able to see which region you live in (ID 10-23) from this map:

The region ID is also shown in the identifier (the MPAN) on your meter and your bills. For example the 13 in this MPAN indicates a meter in North Wales:

In this region 13, the off-peak hours are 23:30 - 07:30 GMT.

where can i find my  Simpler energy plan  off peak hours and  and Tariff?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Via the OVO app look at Account - Plan 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

https://account.ovoenergy.com/plan

Via the OVO app look at Account - Plan 

that is all i can see

Unit rate

31.20p per Kilowatt hourkWh

Standing charge

48.64p a day

Contract start date

25th September 2021

Contract end date

Rolling variable plan

Exit fee

There are no exit fees to pay on this contract.

Future annual consumption

2649 kWh

Meter Point Administration Number

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That looks like @Mastergeek you are a rolling variable plan which doesn’t have an off peak rate .. unless you think otherwise?

Your tariff is stated as 31.20 p per kWh 

https://help.ovoenergy.com/article/8f4b7e18-3a22-48c3-83fe-dd40c144632f-web

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Just for your information in case you didn't notice, the figures are excluding VAT at 5%

Hi, I am on simply energy plan, when is the off peak period please. The bills from electricity and gas is getting so much and frustrating.

Thanks