Solved

When is the Warm Home Discount (WHD) available?

• 2 October 2023
  • 13 replies

HI

Does any body got an idea when the 2023/2024 application for Warm Home Discount (WHD) will be opening?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Jeffus 2 October 2023, 22:11

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@FREEFLOW

https://www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme

Good to know, but in the past, that did not mean you could apply on that day with your supplier.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The OVO WHD will open soon. Keep an eye on the forum and a few other places. However, you probably won’t need to apply anymore - it’s mostly automated now.

The broader group in Scotland still needs to apply.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Those details will be available soon. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Updated on 16/10/23 by Abby_OVO

The Warm Home Discount (WHD) for 2023-24 is now open.

For those in England and Wales, eligible customers will receive a letter from the Government confirming if they are eligible, and don’t need to do anything to apply.

For those in Scotland, the Core Group remains unchanged and applies to those who were in receipt of the Guaranteed Element of Pension Credit on 13 August 2023. If you fall under this category, you do not need to take any action and you’ll receive a letter to notify you of your eligibility.

For customers in Scotland who fall under the Broader Group, you do still need to apply - you can check out this really handy guide on eligibility criteria for the Broader Group in Scotland, as well as the homepage for the Broader group from the Government: https://www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme/low-income-scotland.

For more information, you can check out the Government Warm Home Discount homepage. 

If you think you might be eligible but haven’t yet received a letter, you can use the Government’s Eligibility Checker to find out if you could qualify. (Letters are being sent out right up until early January 2024, as per the WHD webpage, so if you don’t have it just yet, don’t worry).

Scottish Broader Group application form: https://api.warm-home-discount.ovotech.org.uk/form

You can also check out more on the Warm Home Discount Topic hub here: 

You can apply hear @FREEFLOW 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/warm-home-discount-scheme

First come first served.

If you post how you get on it may help other customers in Scotland 

First come first served.

I think it still it set for 2022/2023 as when it try to apply, it says, you already applied successfully for home warm discount, but that was last year i did this, so best wait till 16.10.13 i think and the try again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

First come first served.

I think it still it set for 2022/2023 as when it try to apply, it says, you already applied successfully for home warm discount, but that was last year i did this, so best wait till 16.10.13 i think and the try again.

Is the 16th related to England? Where did you see it? 

I haven't tried the ovo application myself. I have asked the ovo moderators if the form should work yet. 

Some suppliers have already opened and closed their Scottish Broader group scheme for this year. 

Others are still taking applications like BG but I don't know for how much longer before they run out. 

EDF also opened their form in September 

Octopus is also open

Userlevel 7

Hey @FREEFLOW,

As far as I’m aware applications are now open, sorry to hear you’re having issues. 

Does this link work? Are you definitely in the broader group, not core? 

Hey @FREEFLOW,

As far as I’m aware applications are now open, sorry to hear you’re having issues. 

It now has worked thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hey @FREEFLOW,

It now has worked thanks.

Good to hear @FREEFLOW 

If you post when you get the actual payment, it may help other customers on the forum 

I’m sad that whilst I was with SSE I received the WHD every year but since moving to OVO last year I did not receive the WHD..

I don’t feel I will get it this year either..I don’t have an understanding why as i qualify in the broader group England being registered disabled with I.R ESA and war pension etc

I have tried to find out why and all I could determine using gov.uk etc was that my medical need social housed bungalow does not have a valid energy certificate??..Don’t know what I can do to receive this years WHD.

Userlevel 7
Badge

I’m sad that whilst I was with SSE I received the WHD every year but since moving to OVO last year I did not receive the WHD..

That was probably a coincidence. The rules changed last year, so many who had received WHD previously were no longer eligible, while (happily) some who hadn’t received it before found that they had now become eligible. It’s a bit of a lottery.

… my medical need social housed bungalow does not have a valid energy certificate??

This reflects the eligibility criterion requiring people not in WHD Core Group 1 to have ‘high energy costs’ to be included in Core Group 2. From tomorrow 16 October, you should be able to find out whether you’re eligible at the WHD webpage.

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is supposed to indicate what it might cost to heat the property, taking into account factors like its size, insulation and heating method. It also indicates what improvements might be made to make it perform better energy-wise. It’s a rudimentary tool, only taken seriously by civil servants who need to be able to put people into boxes. If there is no EPC, there are probably rules that work out whether the property’s energy costs are high or low; it sounds as if yours were deemed low enough for you not to be included in Core Group 2.

OVO should learn in the next few weeks which of their customers are eligible for WHD; I’m hoping that they’ll post a notice here in the forum when they’ve received the list of winners from DWP, so that when that happens, Customer Support should be able to tell you whether you’re on the list or not. 

If you’re not, your best bet might be to ask Citizens Advice to help you appeal. It might be worthwhile contacting them anyway if the GOV.UK page tells you you’re not eligible.